Opower Interview Questions in Arlington, VA

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.5

Associate Manager, Corporate Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Opower has a rigorous, but predictable interview process that involved a screen, phone interview with hiring manager, homework assignment, day of on-site interviews, and the negotiation phase. The process took about 3 weeks, and throughout that time an HR recruiter kept in close contact with me to provide updates and answer questions.

Overall, if I have to point out any one thing that stands out, it's how helpful the recruiters are. A good anecdote: on the day before my lineup of on-site interviews, the recruiter gave me a call after hours to talk me through what to expect and answer my questions. It was a nice touch.

In general, I got the sense that the interview process was more about cultural fit than assessing technical expertise, but that is almost certainly because I work in comms (as opposed to product engineers, whose interviews get very technical from what I hear).

All that said, it's worth noting that Opower is pretty intense during the negotiation phase, and definitely doesn't expect to have to leverage compensation to win candidates. They make it very clear that they *know* Opower is a special company that attracts top talent.

All said and done, though, the total comp including equity is slightly above market and the lively office environment provides a foil to a lot of the higher comped DC consulting shops.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on Opower's content marketing - is there anything you would improve?   Answer Question

Engagement Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Incredibly drawn out, unpleasant, almost combative process. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this company to friends or colleagues (including at utility co's...). They put me through at least 6 rounds of interviews, including an all-day round of interviews at their headquarters. To their credit, they paid for my travel and hotel. To their discredit, they asked very strange questions that were not germane to the job (i.e. about my childhood). They came across as disinterested and rude. They claim to be very interested in culture fit but then discredit any job applicants who come from an environmental/energy efficiency background in favor of pretty much anyone else (especially management consulting).

Interview Questions

• They asked me what kind of kid I was like in high school...   1 Answer

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

The selection process consisted of 4 steps:
    1. Screening interview with HR. General behavioral and company related questions. They also provide additional information regarding the position and requirements at this stage.
    2. Excel assignment. After completing step 1, you'll receive an email with assignment which you should complete in 24 hours. Assignment is relevant to the job description and overall gives you an overview of what kind of work the department is doing. It's not too hard if you are good with Excel. Took about 6 hours to complete.
    3. Phone interview with the manager. Combination of the behavioral and job related questions. All questions are related to job description. Again all questions are relevant and test both company and skills set fit.
    4. Face-to-face interview with the team members. If you pass to the last stage all of the team members will ask you both behavioral and job related questions. All of the questions were very professional. The interviewee also gets a chance to understand the dynamics of the team, try out your personal fit to the company environment. Be ready to comment on every single bullet point of your resume.

Overall all the interviews were conducted very professionally. I think i is great idea that not only the hiring manager but all the members of the team get to decide whether the interviewee will be a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to intern for Opower?
      What are you proud of?
      Give an example when you have non-cooperative team member and how you dealt with it?
      Examples of forecasting, planning.

Answer Question

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

All accept 1 of the 5 interviews were all highly technical. The series of interviews were at their offices from 11AM to 5PM. I was asked to write code on their loaner laptop for random, subjective scenarios with unclear instructions that made quickly answering the question rather difficult at time. A team member told me, during lunch, that the interview exercises were something new they were working on and I was their “guinea pig”.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that accepts a single argument that returns a flattened array regardless of what argument type was passed in.   1 Answer
    • Write code that allows a user to go to a specific url and returns a JSON object containing the name and version of the current package (this was inside of their app that is in/near production and using the KOA framework---not Express)   1 Answer
    • Write pseudo code for a function that accepts a Board class that contains three public methods and will return whether the Board passed in is “solvable”. The three Board methods include “canMove” that accepts a direction parameter, move() that accepts a direction parameter, and “isSolvable” that returns a boolean of whether or not the board passed in is “solvable”.   1 Answer
    • Verbally explain how you would write unit tests for the function I wrote in question 3.   1 Answer
    • Create a “debounce” function like the one provided by the underscore JavaScript framework that will take a function as the first parameter and return a function that will only be called once within the milliseconds of time (that is passed in as the second parameter).   1 Answer

Client Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

This was one of the fastest and most painless interview processes I've experienced.

After submitting my resume for the position, I was contacted by a recruiter the next day and set up a call to discuss the position the day after that. During this call, I was explained the basic details of the role and provided a take-home assessment to complete.

After submitting this assessment, I was set up for a call with the hiring manager a few days later. Since this went well, the recruiter set up my on-site interview later that very same day, and I went into the office the next day for 4 back to back interviews with a variety of team members. Two days later, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• - Experience with technical troubleshooting
      - Experience with customer management
      - How to deal with tough clients
      - Mini presentation
      - SQL & Regex technical interview
      - Topgrading interview with hiring managers

Answer Question

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Head hunter reached out via LinkedIn. Phone interviews with prospective Manager, SVP of Sales and then in-person interviews. In-person on-site interviews consisted of presentation followed by individual intensive interviews x 5 including meeting with company founder. The volume of interviews and questions on a single day was pretty tiring!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too challenging. Standard questions for role. Performance to date. Deals you've won. Deals you've lost. What you would do differently. Asked to dissect a deal that Opower previously lost etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

By phone, took about 3 calls to reach agreement.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I then spoke (by phone) with the person who I would replace. I was asked to complete a "homework assignment" and then was asked to come into the office to meet with several individuals. I had to reach out to the recruiters to follow up as I moved through the stages. Additionally, I was given very little notice for each of the interviews I had. Once I arrived on site, I met with individuals who were different than those they had identified for me prior (so I had no background information on them and researched the wrong people). And the schedule flipped as well; the "hardest" interview section (topgrading) was moved to the beginning of my on-site interview while I expected it would be at the end. It's clear that they are a rapidly scaling organization and the HR staff is doing its best to keep up. Everyone was very pleasant and nice but it felt a little frazzled.

Interview Questions

• One individual asked a question that was an energy-related scenario and it had so much jargon in it, it was nearly impossible to understand.   1 Answer
    • There was a "Homework Assignment" where there were three questions each with at least four subparts and two powerpoint slides. The instructions indicated that we were not to spend more than two hours on its entirety.   1 Answer
    • The "Topgraded" Interview. They started with college and went through my entire resume and asked what was the best day/worst day and why, and why I made the choices I did throughout my career.   1 Answer

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the time you spent with us and the feedback.

Talent Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

2 phone interviews and an on-site. Onsite was very thorough, met with 6 different people and they interviewed me on different topics. Great opportunity to meet the team and get all of my questions answered, though it was a long day

Interview Questions

• If you didn't have LinkedIn at your disposal, give me 5 different ways that you could find candidates.   Answer Question

May 29, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O and hanging in there for the long day!

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

After applying, I heard back within the week. I then had an initial, screening call with the recruiter, after which I had a homework assignment due back to the recruiter in 48 hours (TPM homework assignment, that took some work but was fairly simple to compete if you have PM chops). A technical phone interview with a senior member of the team came next. Following the technical phone interview was the on-site, new-world-tech-style day of interviews (~6 hours long, including lunch). Be prepared to be grilled, for thinking exercises, and to answer questions directly involving company products (some people scoff at the fact that they pitch you internal situations when you have no experience with the company yet, but if you're interviewing somewhere seriously...why wouldn't you have a solid knowledge of how the company operates before you go into the interview?). Next is a brief waiting period, as you await the results. A call from the recruiter to check up on you and provide you with an offer! (hopefully, because this is a great company!) Some basic negotiations can follow, if you need them. Lastly references are called to make sure you have the experience you claim to have.

Interview Questions

• Just be ready to be thoroughly grilled about your experience. I mean grilled.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations went smoothly. You may not even require them, think about the overall compensation package.

May 21, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O!!

Client Services and Operations Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process typically takes around 3 to 4 weeks. I had applied to this position through Indeed.com. I was initially contacted by the HR to discuss about my interest for this position and later I was asked to complete an Assignment. The Assignment typically consists of questions related to application of UNIX shell scripting, Regular Expressions, writing test cases for a given scenario, MySQL scripts to restore a database, MySQL queries to perform joins and rounded off with some algorithm related questions that can be written in a language of our choice. The assignment had 8 questions and I was given 10 days to complete it, which was an ample time.

I was selected for the next round of interview with a member from the Operations engineer team. This was a 30 to 45 min interview which was based on the assignment that I had worked on earlier. The interview started off with questions regarding my background in computer science and my projects. I was asked to make by regular expression handle incorrect formats better. Also I was asked question regarding inner join, outer join, ISNULL, AVG, SUM, COUNT and make certain column values as 1000 if the column value was found to be NULL as a result of join operation. The interview turned out to be like a natural conversation and overall, I was quite confident about answering the questions thrown at me.

After a few days time, I was contacted by the HR that I had been selected for a 3 hour technical interview. Initially I was a bit worried, but as the interview went on, I was very calm and relaxed. This video interview happened over an interview portal called blue-jeans where I had to talk with 3 members from the engineering team at Opower. The first interview was an open ended question. I was asked to extract certain information from a large number of flat files and also I was asked to list down the scenarios that I would need to handle. I told that I could use a Java program with Reg-Ex to extract these details and what my Reg-Ex would look like. Next, I was asked to store them in a MySQL database and questions were asked related to this, such as checking constraints, checking for invalid data formats, checking against the foreign key and so on.

The second interview was based on MySQL queries such as inner join, outer join and usage of built-in functions like COUNT, AVG. The interview ended with question related to version controlling features such as Commit, and Branch. I was also asked questions like "When would you need to perform a Branch on the main trunk?".

The third and final interview was also based on MySQL. Once again I was asked to perform outer joins, inner joins based on three tables. Finally I was asked to write a code to perform a division operation without using a "/" operator. I was also asked to explain about the various possible test case scenarios for this piece of code. Also all the three interviewers told me that I will be learning to write Ruby scripts.

I got the offer after 6 days through a phone call from the HR. I am really looking forward to this summer internship at Opower.

Interview Questions

• Write a programming code to perform division operation without using the "/" (divide) operator.   Answer Question

May 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and welcome to O! We've got some fun things planned for the summer Ossociates and happy to have you aboard!