Opower

106 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Analyst Interview

Customer Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – Initial Phone interview . Followed by Phone interview from the team. Called in for on-site a week later. pretty easy and friendly interview and not deep technical. The process took around 3 interviewers for onsite with 30-45 min each. Questions mostly on troubleshooting and getting to know on how to deal with customers in variety of ways.

Interview Question – Pretty simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Decent negotiaiton

Client Support Engineer Interview

Client Support Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process here at Opower was by far the smoothest I've ever gone through before. I applied through LinkedIn and within a couple of days I got a response from the recruiter. We got on a call, discussed the typical logistical questions, and I was scheduled to talk to the hiring manager within the next couple of days. The following week I was in the office interviewing with the team and that all went smoothly as well. The people at Opower are probably the most down to earth bunch I've ever come across. The interviews didn't really feel like interviews, more like conversations, which I absolutely appreciated. Within two days of the interview I received my offer letter and that was that.

I definitely want to give a shout out to the recruiters at Opower! They work tremendously hard to keep the whole process smooth. They are very transparent about the position, what the company is looking for, and any concerns they or the team might have. You should definitely address these concerns head on and don't be afraid to speak your mind.

Interview Question – Just be sure to study up on the materials the recruiter suggests. It helps a lot. Be yourself and just be honest with the team. If you don't know something, show them the logical steps you would take to find the solution.   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014

Welcome to O! Thanks for the shout-out, I'll be sure to let the recruiting team know. And thanks for leaving a review...we appreciate it.

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I then spoke (by phone) with the person who I would replace. I was asked to complete a "homework assignment" and then was asked to come into the office to meet with several individuals. I had to reach out to the recruiters to follow up as I moved through the stages. Additionally, I was given very little notice for each of the interviews I had. Once I arrived on site, I met with individuals who were different than those they had identified for me prior (so I had no background information on them and researched the wrong people). And the schedule flipped as well; the "hardest" interview section (topgrading) was moved to the beginning of my on-site interview while I expected it would be at the end. It's clear that they are a rapidly scaling organization and the HR staff is doing its best to keep up. Everyone was very pleasant and nice but it felt a little frazzled.

Interview Questions

• One individual asked a question that was an energy-related scenario and it had so much jargon in it, it was nearly impossible to understand.   View Answer
  • There was a "Homework Assignment" where there were three questions each with at least four subparts and two powerpoint slides. The instructions indicated that we were not to spend more than two hours on its entirety.   View Answer
  • The "Topgraded" Interview. They started with college and went through my entire resume and asked what was the best day/worst day and why, and why I made the choices I did throughout my career.   View Answer

Jul 11, 2014

Thanks for the time you spent with us and the feedback.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Opower

Interview Details – Opower was in our university job fair. I talked to one of the guys and they took my resume. A few days later they emailed me to schedule a phone coding interview.

Interview Question – The question about nodes is hard...   Answer Question

Associate Operations Engineer Interview

Associate Operations Engineer
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1. Recruiter contacted me via email 3 days after I submitted my resume on Opower's job board. Scheduled phone interview with her
2. 30 minute phone interview with recruiter. Talked about past work experience and qualifications
3. Homework given after the phone interview. 48 hours to complete
4. Recruiter scheduled phone interview with hiring supervisor
5. 1-hour phone interview with hiring supervisor. Questions covered qualifications and homework
6. 4-hour on-site interview with 4 people: hiring manager, 2 future co-workers, 1 person whom I'd be working with if there are unresolved issues in our department, and skype interview with 1 other manager in our department who's working in another city

Interview Question – technical questions on Mysql and UNIX commands   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Went smoothly as expected

Jul 11, 2014

Welcome to O! We're happy to hear you had a great experience!

Technical Project Manager Interview

Technical Project Manager

Interviewed at Opower

Interview Details – I was referred to Opower from a current employee, and contacted by HR once they read my resume. After a phone screening with a recruiter, I had a phone interview with a hiring manager. I was given a fairly sizable amount of homework to do with a relatively short deadline (I never got any feedback), however I heard back about an in-person interview soon after. The in-person interviews lasted all day and were exhausting, but a great way to see the office culture and meet other employees. I enjoyed meeting every person, and they were impressive in their friendliness, smarts, and curiosity. It took me a while to get my final offer letter, however I enjoyed working with the recruiting team (they were swamped, but always straightforward about delays).

Interview Question – What was the most aggressive thing you've done at work in order to get something done?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real room to negotiate.

Jul 11, 2014

Happy to hear you enjoyed the process. Welcome to O!

Analytics Intern Interview

Analytics Intern

Interview Details – Applied through a website Jobvite, got an invite for a phone screen in a couple of days. Interview lasted 15-20 minutes. Was told that I would get an update in 2 weeks. Got an automated email after 2 weeks stating that I was not selected.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions, why Opower, why analytics etc.   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

Engagement Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ months - interviewed at Opower in March 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was extremely fragmented. Initially, I was asked to interview and specify available times, and then I heard nothing for six weeks, until a contact who works there dug and told me the position had been filled. From others I have heard from who have applied, this is a very common occurrence with their HR. Their HR is understaffed and trying to meet crazy goals. About four different people from HR were emailing me throughout the process.

~Eight weeks later, they asked me to interview for the position again since it had been re-listed, and apologized for dropping the ball before. I went quickly from a phone screening to a Skype interview. The in-person interview was scheduled for a month later. After scheduling the date and asking off from work, they asked if I could reschedule to accommodate some people's vacation plans, which seemed less than completely respectful of my time.

All-in-all, it took over five months to get from application to interview in their office. I would not recommend applying to Opower if you are looking to move along quickly and don't have the patience to fill in their gaps.

There were a number of times when they lost track of documents and failed to email with instructions when they said they would. As of the night before the interview, they had not told me when to arrive. The other thing that was a bit funny is that, while the interview took four hours, they told me I needed to take the whole day off from work. I think that more realistic expectations should be set. I also think that they should consider pulling the team to interview in twos rather than have someone go through individual interviews with six different team members. The questions were redundant, and it was unnecessarily tiresome in my opinion.

Interview Question – I can't say that much was unexpected here. They do ask about familiarity with different programming methodologies.   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014

We appreciate the feedback. This is a very helpful perspective to help make sure we create a good candidate experience.

Client Support Intern Interview

Client Support Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview and hiring process. Consisted of 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview. Fun work environment, Very welcoming. Interviews by HR and team leaders. Had a tour of office and was asked several questions regarding background and where I see myself in a few years.

Interview Question – Programming questions for skills test or a little tough   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014

Thanks for the time you spent with us and the review.

Engagement Manager Interview

Engagement Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – I was first screened on the phone by a recruiter who had to reschedule. Very friendly guy, courteous. Questions were mostly about my background.

Next I was interviewed on the phone by whom I think would've been the direct boss to the position. Sharp guy, completely robotic. Questions were about my background, how I would engage a project.

Interview Question – How and whom I would engage a project that is starting?   Answer Question

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!