Opower

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

3.3

Client Engagement Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Opower in July 2014.

I went through 3 interviews, 1 via phone with their recruiter and 2 via Skype with senior managers within the department. I was told I would be recommended for the in-person interview next, but then received the standard rejection email from HR about a week later with no further explanation.

Interview Questions
    • There seemed to be a lot of concern about lack of experience within the Energy Efficiency industry. It seems like they are really limiting their talent pool if this is a deal-breaker. The critical skills for this type of position are relationship management, project management and data analysis. The industry can be learned, just like any other.   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Was contacted by email less than a week after applying. Had a phone screen with the Recruiter. It was about 15 minutes long where she asked basic questions (describe your background, salary expectations, start availability, etc.) No surprising questions.

Customer Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Opower.

Initial Phone interview . Followed by Phone interview from the team. Called in for on-site a week later. pretty easy and friendly interview and not deep technical. The process took around 3 interviewers for onsite with 30-45 min each. Questions mostly on troubleshooting and getting to know on how to deal with customers in variety of ways.

Decent negotiaiton

Client Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

The hiring and interview process here at Opower was by far the smoothest I've ever gone through before. I applied through LinkedIn and within a couple of days I got a response from the recruiter. We got on a call, discussed the typical logistical questions, and I was scheduled to talk to the hiring manager within the next couple of days. The following week I was in the office interviewing with the team and that all went smoothly as well. The people at Opower are probably the most down to earth bunch I've ever come across. The interviews didn't really feel like interviews, more like conversations, which I absolutely appreciated. Within two days of the interview I received my offer letter and that was that.

I definitely want to give a shout out to the recruiters at Opower! They work tremendously hard to keep the whole process smooth. They are very transparent about the position, what the company is looking for, and any concerns they or the team might have. You should definitely address these concerns head on and don't be afraid to speak your mind.

Interview Questions
    • Just be sure to study up on the materials the recruiter suggests. It helps a lot. Be yourself and just be honest with the team. If you don't know something, show them the logical steps you would take to find the solution.   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! Thanks for the shout-out, I'll be sure to let the recruiting team know. And thanks for leaving a review...we appreciate it.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I then spoke (by phone) with the person who I would replace. I was asked to complete a "homework assignment" and then was asked to come into the office to meet with several individuals. I had to reach out to the recruiters to follow up as I moved through the stages. Additionally, I was given very little notice for each of the interviews I had. Once I arrived on site, I met with individuals who were different than those they had identified for me prior (so I had no background information on them and researched the wrong people). And the schedule flipped as well; the "hardest" interview section (topgrading) was moved to the beginning of my on-site interview while I expected it would be at the end. It's clear that they are a rapidly scaling organization and the HR staff is doing its best to keep up. Everyone was very pleasant and nice but it felt a little frazzled.

Interview Questions
    • One individual asked a question that was an energy-related scenario and it had so much jargon in it, it was nearly impossible to understand.   View Answer
    • There was a "Homework Assignment" where there were three questions each with at least four subparts and two powerpoint slides. The instructions indicated that we were not to spend more than two hours on its entirety.   View Answer
    • The "Topgraded" Interview. They started with college and went through my entire resume and asked what was the best day/worst day and why, and why I made the choices I did throughout my career.   View Answer

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the time you spent with us and the feedback.

Software Engineer Interview

Opower was in our university job fair. I talked to one of the guys and they took my resume. A few days later they emailed me to schedule a phone coding interview.

Associate Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

1. Recruiter contacted me via email 3 days after I submitted my resume on Opower's job board. Scheduled phone interview with her
    2. 30 minute phone interview with recruiter. Talked about past work experience and qualifications
    3. Homework given after the phone interview. 48 hours to complete
    4. Recruiter scheduled phone interview with hiring supervisor
    5. 1-hour phone interview with hiring supervisor. Questions covered qualifications and homework
    6. 4-hour on-site interview with 4 people: hiring manager, 2 future co-workers, 1 person whom I'd be working with if there are unresolved issues in our department, and skype interview with 1 other manager in our department who's working in another city

Interview Questions
    • technical questions on Mysql and UNIX commands   View Answer
    Went smoothly as expected

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! We're happy to hear you had a great experience!

Analytics Intern Interview

Applied through a website Jobvite, got an invite for a phone screen in a couple of days. Interview lasted 15-20 minutes. Was told that I would get an update in 2 weeks. Got an automated email after 2 weeks stating that I was not selected.

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ months - interviewed at Opower in March 2014.

The hiring process was extremely fragmented. Initially, I was asked to interview and specify available times, and then I heard nothing for six weeks, until a contact who works there dug and told me the position had been filled. From others I have heard from who have applied, this is a very common occurrence with their HR. Their HR is understaffed and trying to meet crazy goals. About four different people from HR were emailing me throughout the process.

~Eight weeks later, they asked me to interview for the position again since it had been re-listed, and apologized for dropping the ball before. I went quickly from a phone screening to a Skype interview. The in-person interview was scheduled for a month later. After scheduling the date and asking off from work, they asked if I could reschedule to accommodate some people's vacation plans, which seemed less than completely respectful of my time.

All-in-all, it took over five months to get from application to interview in their office. I would not recommend applying to Opower if you are looking to move along quickly and don't have the patience to fill in their gaps.

There were a number of times when they lost track of documents and failed to email with instructions when they said they would. As of the night before the interview, they had not told me when to arrive. The other thing that was a bit funny is that, while the interview took four hours, they told me I needed to take the whole day off from work. I think that more realistic expectations should be set. I also think that they should consider pulling the team to interview in twos rather than have someone go through individual interviews with six different team members. The questions were redundant, and it was unnecessarily tiresome in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • I can't say that much was unexpected here. They do ask about familiarity with different programming methodologies.   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the feedback. This is a very helpful perspective to help make sure we create a good candidate experience.

Client Support Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Very thorough interview and hiring process. Consisted of 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview. Fun work environment, Very welcoming. Interviews by HR and team leaders. Had a tour of office and was asked several questions regarding background and where I see myself in a few years.

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions for skills test or a little tough   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the time you spent with us and the review.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!