Opower

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

3.3

Implementation Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Opower.

-A HR phone interview
            -Fairly straightforward and standard screening call from HR. The HR contact point will be with you throughout the interview process, and will be your primary source for answering questions or concerns. Mine was very friendly and immensely helpful. Make good friends with them if possible, they are a great resource to have on your side.
    -A technical offline skills assessment
            -A take-home assessment with relatively low pressure. Was fairly tricky and definitely evaluated a wide range of practical problems. Not really study-worthy, as it is take home and not timed, but definitely ensures that the necessary knowledge and skills are there
    -A phone interview with hiring manager
              -Formal introduction to the manager, some culture focused questions and some technical questions to round it out. Very reasonable technical questions, since it is over the phone (exact compile-worthy code isn't necessary)
    -In person interviews with 4-5 of the engineers and managing staff
               -For the most part, all technical interviews that assess database skills, as well as Unix commands and handling data input. The interviews were very casual and friendly, and were a very relaxing experience. Not super rigorous, and did not feel like an interrogation, but rather being presented with a very realistic practical problem and evaluating your response to it. I imagine it varies based on the interviewer, but most were reasonable, and didn't test your memorization of every flag of random Unix commands. The internet was allowed on some questions, and the focus was on the skills, not the raw regurgitated knowledge.

Technical Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Opower.

One of the most organized interviewing processes I've ever experienced. There were two interviews with the hiring manager over the phone, a skills assessment exercise, another phone interview with a Technical Project Manager, then a full day of interviews with two senior technical manager, the hiring manager, the technical lead, and an engagement manager.

Interview Questions
    • - Given an ERD, what type of application could be using data from this data model?
      - Send work samples of project plans and project status reports

Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Opower.

After submitting a resume, I had a short phone interview with a recruiter, who then asked me to complete a "homework" assignment. This then led to a phone interview with the hiring manager, but I did not proceed to an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions about how I would deal with a real-world issue.   Answer Question

Client Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Opower in January 2015.

This was one of the fastest and most painless interview processes I've experienced.

After submitting my resume for the position, I was contacted by a recruiter the next day and set up a call to discuss the position the day after that. During this call, I was explained the basic details of the role and provided a take-home assessment to complete.

After submitting this assessment, I was set up for a call with the hiring manager a few days later. Since this went well, the recruiter set up my on-site interview later that very same day, and I went into the office the next day for 4 back to back interviews with a variety of team members. Two days later, I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • - Experience with technical troubleshooting
      - Experience with customer management
      - How to deal with tough clients
      - Mini presentation
      - SQL & Regex technical interview
      - Topgrading interview with hiring managers

Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied through the website and heard back very quickly. I then had a phone interview which lasted thirty minutes and was straightforward, pleasant and informative, focusing on skills and experiences.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Opower.

Head hunter reached out via LinkedIn. Phone interviews with prospective Manager, SVP of Sales and then in-person interviews. In-person on-site interviews consisted of presentation followed by individual intensive interviews x 5 including meeting with company founder. The volume of interviews and questions on a single day was pretty tiring!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too challenging. Standard questions for role. Performance to date. Deals you've won. Deals you've lost. What you would do differently. Asked to dissect a deal that Opower previously lost etc.   Answer Question
    By phone, took about 3 calls to reach agreement.

Product Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Opower.

Very open, casual and informative info chat before beginning the official hiring process
    Well-integrated, fast process after resume submission.
    1. Homework about generic product management paradigms and some firm-specific innovation ideas.
    2. Phone Interview about Homework. Detailed probing for architectural considerations, phasing, tracking and expansion opportunities.
    3. Campus Interview with mix of behavioral & technical questions. 4 1:1 interviews back to back.

Interview Questions
    • "I will leave the room for 5 mins and when I come back, I want you to explain to me every technical element of a piece of software you have built"   Answer Question

Corporate Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Opower in September 2014.

Applied online over Jobvite and had first phone interview 6 days later with a recruiter in Arlington, VA. Interview went well- she was very friendly and asked standard initial questions, also asked me if I was comfortable with the pay rate. Second phone interview was three days later with the manager in San Francisco, CA that I would directly be working under. Since she is the one I would be working with, I thought the interview would be more conversational but she sounded more like a recruiter than the recruiter did. Asked very straight-forward questions, straight to the point, not conversational at all. Very focused on specific goals I want to have met during this 6-month internship. Heard back within the week that I made it to the final interview process which was three back-to-back interviews, a half hour each. Had a phone call from the recruiter to prep me for the process and what to expect, but she sounded very rushed so it was short. She also said I was one of three final candidates. The interviews were done using online video conferencing. The first interview was with someone in Arlington. She hadn't looked at my resume yet so she spent the first minute familiarizing herself with it. Asked simple questions about my resume for a few minutes then asked me if I had questions for her. She then said she had to leave early to pick someone up from the airport and was hoping we could end early. Second interview was with someone in Arlington who currently has the same position I'm interviewing for in Arlington. He was very nice and we had the best conversation. We really covered everything about myself and the position, but he said he had no part in the hiring, he was just there to make sure I understand everything about the position. The third interview was with someone in San Francisco, and she was 15 minutes late so she said we would have to rush very quickly to cover a few questions. Focused on providing past examples of having too much on my plate and having different priorities than other people. After these three interviews I didn't know how to feel since two were cut short and the one really good conversation was not part of the hiring. I didn't hear back for a while and followed up again with the recruiter a couple weeks later. She replied a few days later with: "We did actually hire someone into this position, but I will let you know if we have any other openings in the future." as the entire message. I found that unprofessional that after spending the time to go through multiple interviews and waiting to hear back for the final decision, they don't even make sure to notify all three final candidates of the decision, and replied with such a short and impersonal message.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had too much on your plate and you had to ask someone for help.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were working on a project that was important to you but other people were not taking the project seriously or making it their priority.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked on a very complex project and how did you approach those complexities?   Answer Question
    • What was your biggest challenge in a past position? What was your proudest moment in a past position?   Answer Question
    • What are your expectations for this position? What are specific goals that you would like to have met at the end of this 6-month position?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Opower in September 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by one of their recruiter. After spending some time going over the ususal discussion of my past experience and responsibilities I was told that the next stage of the interview process is a coding exercise. The assignment itself is not too difficult and require knowledge of some design patterns and callback structures with proper threading,but the instructions say that the solution should look like a 'production level' solution. So after spennding 5 days including a weekend to make sure that I am using property files to pick up attributes, using log4j for proper logging and making sure sifficient application progress is logged at proper log level, using sufficient jUnit and Mocito to add unit tests with runtime mocking of my service layer, adding a design document with proper UML class diagram and more, I submit the assignment. After submitting I received the instruction from the recruiter that I would hear back in 72 hours. After nine(9) days when I still haven't heard anything back, I email the recruiter again to see if I am still being considered for further interviews I get a response saying that it was decided that my background might not be best fit for the position and I am not being considered anymore.
    I would have preferred to get atleast some feedback for the 5 day long task I was given and some response as to what exactly was lacking or missing from my solution and if it wasn't my code that made them decide that I wasn't fit then perhaps a few more behavioral interviews before the coding exercise would seem more appropriate.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Was contacted by email less than a week after applying. Had a phone screen with the Recruiter. It was about 15 minutes long where she asked basic questions (describe your background, salary expectations, start availability, etc.) No surprising questions.