Opower

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engagement Manager Interview

Engagement Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Opower in July 2013.

Interview Details – The initial contact was fairly quick. I believe that there were approximately 2 weeks between submission and contact. I was invited for an interview at their headquarters, which are very nice, with the department lead and another manager. Both were very nice and professional. As it turns out, the position was not a good professional fit.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Talent Sourcer Interview

Talent Sourcer
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews and an on-site. Onsite was very thorough, met with 6 different people and they interviewed me on different topics. Great opportunity to meet the team and get all of my questions answered, though it was a long day

Interview Question – If you didn't have LinkedIn at your disposal, give me 5 different ways that you could find candidates.   Answer Question

May 29, 2014

Welcome to O and hanging in there for the long day!

Technical Project Manager Interview

Technical Project Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – After applying, I heard back within the week. I then had an initial, screening call with the recruiter, after which I had a homework assignment due back to the recruiter in 48 hours (TPM homework assignment, that took some work but was fairly simple to compete if you have PM chops). A technical phone interview with a senior member of the team came next. Following the technical phone interview was the on-site, new-world-tech-style day of interviews (~6 hours long, including lunch). Be prepared to be grilled, for thinking exercises, and to answer questions directly involving company products (some people scoff at the fact that they pitch you internal situations when you have no experience with the company yet, but if you're interviewing somewhere seriously...why wouldn't you have a solid knowledge of how the company operates before you go into the interview?). Next is a brief waiting period, as you await the results. A call from the recruiter to check up on you and provide you with an offer! (hopefully, because this is a great company!) Some basic negotiations can follow, if you need them. Lastly references are called to make sure you have the experience you claim to have.

Interview Question – Just be ready to be thoroughly grilled about your experience. I mean grilled.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations went smoothly. You may not even require them, think about the overall compensation package.

May 21, 2014

Welcome to O!!

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director, Client Solutions Interview

Director, Client Solutions

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Opower in January 2014.

Interview Details – Long and arduous process but totally worth it.. HR is very friendly and timely (although that can drop off once the offer is in!)... Need to meet a lot of people who'll evaluate you

Interview Question – How would you manage a long sales cycle   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation recommended but leeway is limited

May 16, 2014

Thanks for the review and welcome to O!

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – They have so many rounds just for a position of an intern.
All MySQl based question. Some general based on you resume. The will give you a assignment to finish and then take 4 rounds of interview. Each 45 min. They hell lot of your time and in the end you never hear back from them.

They are irresponsible people that if a candidate wasted so much time on your interview process at least have a courtesy to reply back. They won;t reply to your mails also. Its better to try some other company than to waste time in their hiring process , from where you never hear back,

Interview Question – Puzzle   Answer Question

May 16, 2014

We want every candidate's experience to be a good one - so thank you for providing your insight and spending time with us. I will share your feedback with the recruiting team.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – I got interviewed on the phone about 1 week after sending in my resume and cover letter. The phone interview was just the basic getting to know you kind of questions. Just to go over your resume and stuff. The next part was scheduling a technical interview. This interview took place over the phone, and through an online website. We were asked to code certain problems and design algorithms. I messed up here, not giving the most efficient algorithm for the question. The next step was 3 more technical interviews on-site and dealt with the same stuff as the initial screening

Interview Question – Most of the difficult questions had to do with designing an algorithm, defining the time complexities and finding more efficient ways to implement them.   Answer Question

May 16, 2014

We appreciate the review and time you spent with us.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring/interview process was excellent. The entire process, from application to offer, took about 6 weeks. The recruiting team kept in frequent contact with me to update me on timelines and give me an idea of next steps. I had one phone interview with the hiring manager, one with the VP of the team, then a half-day onsite interview. For the on-site, I started with a presentation illustrating data analysis that I'd done and recommendations I'd developed, then I had several one-on-one interviews with people on the Analytics team. I was given lunch and a couple breaks.

The interview questions were reasonable and respectable; they were very much in line with what I would have expected to be asked given the nature of the job. They focused more on my thought process and style of approaching problems rather than my technical skills. Some questions were about past experiences, while others were more "case study" in nature, focusing on how I would develop a data-based client presentation or what questions I would ask of a particular data set. They also asked questions to ensure I was a good fit for the company's work style.

Interview Question – No question stood out as more difficult than the others. They did ask a couple "case study" type questions, which I think many people find somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

May 8, 2014

Thanks for the review and welcome to O!

Client Services and Operations Engineering Intern Interview

Client Services and Operations Engineering Intern
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process typically takes around 3 to 4 weeks. I had applied to this position through Indeed.com. I was initially contacted by the HR to discuss about my interest for this position and later I was asked to complete an Assignment. The Assignment typically consists of questions related to application of UNIX shell scripting, Regular Expressions, writing test cases for a given scenario, MySQL scripts to restore a database, MySQL queries to perform joins and rounded off with some algorithm related questions that can be written in a language of our choice. The assignment had 8 questions and I was given 10 days to complete it, which was an ample time.

I was selected for the next round of interview with a member from the Operations engineer team. This was a 30 to 45 min interview which was based on the assignment that I had worked on earlier. The interview started off with questions regarding my background in computer science and my projects. I was asked to make by regular expression handle incorrect formats better. Also I was asked question regarding inner join, outer join, ISNULL, AVG, SUM, COUNT and make certain column values as 1000 if the column value was found to be NULL as a result of join operation. The interview turned out to be like a natural conversation and overall, I was quite confident about answering the questions thrown at me.

After a few days time, I was contacted by the HR that I had been selected for a 3 hour technical interview. Initially I was a bit worried, but as the interview went on, I was very calm and relaxed. This video interview happened over an interview portal called blue-jeans where I had to talk with 3 members from the engineering team at Opower. The first interview was an open ended question. I was asked to extract certain information from a large number of flat files and also I was asked to list down the scenarios that I would need to handle. I told that I could use a Java program with Reg-Ex to extract these details and what my Reg-Ex would look like. Next, I was asked to store them in a MySQL database and questions were asked related to this, such as checking constraints, checking for invalid data formats, checking against the foreign key and so on.

The second interview was based on MySQL queries such as inner join, outer join and usage of built-in functions like COUNT, AVG. The interview ended with question related to version controlling features such as Commit, and Branch. I was also asked questions like "When would you need to perform a Branch on the main trunk?".

The third and final interview was also based on MySQL. Once again I was asked to perform outer joins, inner joins based on three tables. Finally I was asked to write a code to perform a division operation without using a "/" operator. I was also asked to explain about the various possible test case scenarios for this piece of code. Also all the three interviewers told me that I will be learning to write Ruby scripts.

I got the offer after 6 days through a phone call from the HR. I am really looking forward to this summer internship at Opower.

Interview Question – Write a programming code to perform division operation without using the "/" (divide) operator.   Answer Question

May 8, 2014

Thanks for the review and welcome to O! We've got some fun things planned for the summer Ossociates and happy to have you aboard!

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Interview Details – After my first initial phone interview with a recruiter i performed a technical interview by phone with a software engineer at the company. Both were very nice and the interview was pretty straight forward. After that i went to the office for my final interview. This lasted 4 hours and i met with 4 different people. The first was just a basic who are you what do you like interview. The next 3 were technical interviews with software engineers. Overall i didnt think the material was extremely difficult however studying a little more would of helped.

The questions asked were similar to problems you would learn as a sophomore in computer science. Mostly algorithms. I can say they wanted you to know the fastest way to implement each of there problems. If you wrote and O(nlogn) algorithm and the best way was actually linear time then thats what they wanted. The questions i had were say given a number 1234 add all the individual digits. Another was given a list of numbers find a pair closest to a given sum. Another question was given a list of tweets find a random tweet given an iterator with no next function. Do not try and work around the math of problems. For the adding individual digits problem sure you can convert to string iterate over the string one at a time and convert back to int to get the sum but thats not what they want. Do the math and mod by 10 then divide by 10. I was lazy and even though i knew both i took the lazy approach first which probably hurt.

Interview Question – Make the game Checkers.   View Answer

May 8, 2014

We appreciate the review and thanks for the time you spent here at O.

Client Support Intern Interview

Client Support Intern
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got an email at the beginning of the week to schedule a phone screening. Had phone screening at the end of the week basic questions, went through resume briefly. Got asked for a follow-up phone interview with hiring manager the next week. That had a few scenarios, how would I balance workload, and going into detail about my background and interests. Within 48 hours scheduled a 2 hour in person interview, with 3 different people, in the Arlington offices. The office was awesome. Met with three people on the team, different levels, asked a few scenario questions, talked alot about the company, the team let me ask lots of questions. Easy conversation, they definitely wanted to make sure I would be a good fit with team and company. Made sure to go through my history to show my level of interest. Got an offer within 48 hours and am excited to start in May!

Interview Question – How would you divide 11 by 2 without dividing?   View Answers (2)

May 8, 2014

Thanks for the review and welcome to O! We've got some fun things planned for our summer Ossociates this year.