Opower

42 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Support Intern Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got an email at the beginning of the week to schedule a phone screening. Had phone screening at the end of the week basic questions, went through resume briefly. Got asked for a follow-up phone interview with hiring manager the next week. That had a few scenarios, how would I balance workload, and going into detail about my background and interests. Within 48 hours scheduled a 2 hour in person interview, with 3 different people, in the Arlington offices. The office was awesome. Met with three people on the team, different levels, asked a few scenario questions, talked alot about the company, the team let me ask lots of questions. Easy conversation, they definitely wanted to make sure I would be a good fit with team and company. Made sure to go through my history to show my level of interest. Got an offer within 48 hours and am excited to start in May!

Interview Question – How would you divide 11 by 2 without dividing?   View Answer

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower in March 2014.

Interview Details – The whole process takes about 3 weeks. I had a phone interview with HR, a phone coding interview of 1hr with a technician. After 2 or 3 days after that, I was asked to schedule an on-site interview.
The on-site interview was 3.5hr long. At first, I was walked around by the coordinator to see the offices. Then, I had 3 coding interviews (1hr each) and a behavioral interview for half an hour. All the interviewers were so nice, friendly and very supportive. We had time to talk before and after each interview. I actually learned a lot of thing from talking to them. Very nice people!

Interview Question – All of the questions were new to me. However, it's not too hard to reason and come up with the solution on the spot. And I think they care more about your thinking process and how you test your code rather than how quickly you can come up with the solution. The problem that took me most time was how to reverse a list.   View Answer

Apr 8, 2014

Great to hear you had such a positive experience. Thanks for the review and the time you spent with us here at Opower.

Professional Services Engineer Interview

Professional Services Engineer
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – Contacted on LinkedIn. Initial phone call with recruiter. Homework assignment on Unix and SQL. Phone interview with current Professional Services Engineer. Day of onsite interviews with various team members and managers.

Many topics were discussed throughout the process, as they are looking for well rounded individuals. Focus was on client facing experience and SQL knowledge.

Interview Question – Not very difficult, but I was asked multiple times how to join tables and show results where one table did not have matching records. Know the difference between joins and know how to use IS NULL.   Answer Question

Apr 8, 2014

Thanks for your review and welcome to O!

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Localization Producer Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Opower in December 2013.

Interview Details – I had 2 standard phone interviews, one with a screener, and one with the hiring manager, which both went well. They asked the standard questions. I went in for the in-person interview and met with 5 different people, one via Skype, including the hiring manager who oddly asked me a lot of the same questions I had already been asked by her on the phone. I was also given a "homework" assignment, designed to gauge my intuition with behavioral economics. The meeting via Skype was awkward due to the video delay and the interviewer was hard to read. The second-to-last interviewer asked some bizarre questions (see below), including making me role play that I had messed up a translation and he was an angry utility that I had to assuage. That was fine, except that it was nowhere in the job description. The interview itself wasn't that bad, but the way they yanked me around afterwards was very disappointing. The interview was on a Monday. They said they'd let me know in 2 days. Then, by Friday. Then, before Xmas. Then, after New Year's (when I still had not heard), I was told someone from their San Francisco office would call me early the following week. On Friday of the next week, I get a call from "Chris" saying he had good and bad news. The bad news, that I didn't get the job. The good news, that another team was interested in me. However, he didn't even know what job they were looking at me for. But I agreed to talk to them the next week, and never heard from anyone the next week. I called Chris at least twice that week, but no one answered and his phone just rang straight through to the main menu -- no voicemail. Finally I'm told another week later that the other team wasn't looking at anyone new until they completed their current round of interviews. The next day, I got a generic email from them saying they would not be pursuing me for the position -- a position I never even applied for.

Interview Question – "I'm going to leave the room for 3 minutes. When I come back, I want you to give me a 3-minute presentation on the topic of your choice."   View Answer

Feb 17, 2014

I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't the best - we really appreciate your review and seeing things from your perspective.

Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Opower in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through a university career website. In about a week, I was contacted about scheduling a phone interview. This phone interview lasted about an hour. It involved coding in a live document online. The interviewer had typed questions in the document, and I coded my solutions to them. These questions were fairly straightforward coding questions. I used Java.

After my phone interview, I scheduled an on-site interview for the next week. This interview lasted 4 hours, with 4 45-60 minute interviews. The questions asked here were harder than the phone screen questions, but they still weren't terribly difficult (a lot easier I thought than Microsoft/Google interview questions). The first interview was a coding question with stacks and queues, the second was a design question with a state diagram, the third was an algorithm question involving shuffling a deck of cards, and the last interview was with the director of engineering, and it was a behavioral interview. In the technical interviews, I would always start by explaining my thought process, but each interviewer always stopped me and told me to just write something on the board right away, even if it wasn't the most efficient solution. Then, we worked to get a better solution.

Overall I felt that I did almost as well as I could have done. I got what I thought were the correct answers to each question. However, I heard back 2 weeks later that I did not get the job. I know others who have applied and been rejected as well, and they had similar experiences to me. I think it is possible that Opower is looking for candidates with more experience than new grads.

Interview Question – Write code to shuffle a deck of 52 cards, and ensure that your shuffle is completely random.   Answer Question

UI Architect Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Opower in December 2013.

Interview Details – Internal recruiter phone screening, Director of Architecture phone screening.

Interview Question – Nothing terribly difficult or unexpected. After a great conversation, they requested a review of my Github repositories, not exactly the best way to gauge talent, in my opinion.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied online and interviewed at Opower.

Interview Details – The process seemed to go fairly quickly. I had two phone screens. One was very unprofessional (so I was concerned about that) but the second phone screen was better. I did get the impression that it was definitely all about Opower. There wasn't a recognition that interviewing was a two-way street. I wasn't given any opportunities to ask questions or provide any feedback. In fact, the first phone screen was really odd because I think she was doing her dishes and cooking lunch or something. There were really awkward periods of silence when I thought we got disconnected. But I was called back to do an in-person interview.

My only real complaint about the whole process was the lack of follow through. The position was not a good fit but I use interviews as an opportunity for networking and actually knew of two people who I thought would have been a really good fit for the role. But this company refused to follow through or to let you know anything formal about the process afterwards, which is incredibly unprofessional in my opinion. We are all adults, we can take rejection.

Interview Question – One of the executives did something called a top grade interview. Surprisingly I had not heard of this before, but am always fascinated with new interview approaches. The only problem was that this executive did not conduct the interview correctly (I did some research on the topic afterwards). But given that we did not have enough time, I could see where he would make some modifications to the process. Overall the interviews were okay. It is a very young, unfocussed culture. It is a young company and as a result it does appear everyone is running into different directions with different messages. They definitely cater to the Gen Y, Millenial crowd. So this culture is definitely not for everyone. Including myself :)   Answer Question

Proposal Writer Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Opower in October 2013.

Interview Details – Total process was about 6 weeks. Opower is thorough and makes it clear that they are only looking for the best, skill-set and personality-wise!

Step-by-step:
1. Phone call with recruiter
2. Submitted writing sample
3. Phone interview with team member
4. Homework assignment (48 hour turnaround)
5. All day interview (4 individual interviews, on-site assignment, lunch)
6. Two more phone interviews
7. Offer

The homework assignment was not a walk in the park and the deadline was right in the middle of the week. I spent 5-10 hours on it and really tried to knock it out of the park. Based on the positive feedback during my on-site interviews, I think it's what got me in the door.

Interview Question – Pretty standard interview questions. In my case, they asked questions that came directly from the job posting. Be prepared for the random question like "what's your favorite book" and "what do you do in your free time". Just as much as they are looking for the right skills, it seems they are just as focused on finding the right personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy negotiation process. Met in the middle after my counter-offer. Amazing benefits package!

Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Opower in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter from my school's career fair to stop by the booth. I stopped by the booth and a few days later received an e-mail inviting me to participate in a phone interview. I interviewed over the phone and did some live coding for the interviewer, about an hour long. Next I was invited to come on-site for a half-day of interviews -- I had 4 interviewers, about an hour each. Almost all were technical questions. By the end of the week, the recruiter called me to let me know I wasn't receiving an offer.

Interview Question – conversion of chars and integers when parsing a String.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Opower in August 2013.

Interview Details – After HR screening, had a 50-minute phone interview with VP of Product Management. Was called in for an in-person. They gave me a homework assignment which was vague. NO details were provided about what they were looking for and how detailed they wanted it to be. THey said spend no more than 2 hours on this. But it was a homework assignment so technically you can spend however long you want on it.
During the in person - the first product manager asked me general questions about product management, my experience and background.
The second product manager came in after 45 minutes and he discussed the homework assignment with me.

Interview Question – They make you work through a business case that is very specific to Opower and its products. They have deep insights which you don't and they expect you to come up with the right answer without having the complete picture.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Opower

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!

Opower Videos

Opower – Why Work for Us?

We partnered with our first utility client in 2007 from a rented desk in San Francisco. Since then, we’ve grown into a well-capitalized business with more than 500 employees, and offices in Arlington, Virginia, San… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opower interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 42 interview reviews posted anonymously by Opower employees and interview candidates.