Opower

3.4

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Opower.

Head hunter reached out via LinkedIn. Phone interviews with prospective Manager, SVP of Sales and then in-person interviews. In-person on-site interviews consisted of presentation followed by individual intensive interviews x 5 including meeting with company founder. The volume of interviews and questions on a single day was pretty tiring!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too challenging. Standard questions for role. Performance to date. Deals you've won. Deals you've lost. What you would do differently. Asked to dissect a deal that Opower previously lost etc.   Answer Question
    By phone, took about 3 calls to reach agreement.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Opower.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I then spoke (by phone) with the person who I would replace. I was asked to complete a "homework assignment" and then was asked to come into the office to meet with several individuals. I had to reach out to the recruiters to follow up as I moved through the stages. Additionally, I was given very little notice for each of the interviews I had. Once I arrived on site, I met with individuals who were different than those they had identified for me prior (so I had no background information on them and researched the wrong people). And the schedule flipped as well; the "hardest" interview section (topgrading) was moved to the beginning of my on-site interview while I expected it would be at the end. It's clear that they are a rapidly scaling organization and the HR staff is doing its best to keep up. Everyone was very pleasant and nice but it felt a little frazzled.

Interview Questions
    • One individual asked a question that was an energy-related scenario and it had so much jargon in it, it was nearly impossible to understand.   View Answer
    • There was a "Homework Assignment" where there were three questions each with at least four subparts and two powerpoint slides. The instructions indicated that we were not to spend more than two hours on its entirety.   View Answer
    • The "Topgraded" Interview. They started with college and went through my entire resume and asked what was the best day/worst day and why, and why I made the choices I did throughout my career.   View Answer

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the time you spent with us and the feedback.

Talent Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Opower.

2 phone interviews and an on-site. Onsite was very thorough, met with 6 different people and they interviewed me on different topics. Great opportunity to meet the team and get all of my questions answered, though it was a long day

Interview Questions
    • If you didn't have LinkedIn at your disposal, give me 5 different ways that you could find candidates.   Answer Question

May 29, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O and hanging in there for the long day!

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Opower.

After applying, I heard back within the week. I then had an initial, screening call with the recruiter, after which I had a homework assignment due back to the recruiter in 48 hours (TPM homework assignment, that took some work but was fairly simple to compete if you have PM chops). A technical phone interview with a senior member of the team came next. Following the technical phone interview was the on-site, new-world-tech-style day of interviews (~6 hours long, including lunch). Be prepared to be grilled, for thinking exercises, and to answer questions directly involving company products (some people scoff at the fact that they pitch you internal situations when you have no experience with the company yet, but if you're interviewing somewhere seriously...why wouldn't you have a solid knowledge of how the company operates before you go into the interview?). Next is a brief waiting period, as you await the results. A call from the recruiter to check up on you and provide you with an offer! (hopefully, because this is a great company!) Some basic negotiations can follow, if you need them. Lastly references are called to make sure you have the experience you claim to have.

Interview Questions
    • Just be ready to be thoroughly grilled about your experience. I mean grilled.   Answer Question
    Negotiations went smoothly. You may not even require them, think about the overall compensation package.

May 21, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O!!

Client Services and Operations Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Opower in April 2014.

The hiring process typically takes around 3 to 4 weeks. I had applied to this position through Indeed.com. I was initially contacted by the HR to discuss about my interest for this position and later I was asked to complete an Assignment. The Assignment typically consists of questions related to application of UNIX shell scripting, Regular Expressions, writing test cases for a given scenario, MySQL scripts to restore a database, MySQL queries to perform joins and rounded off with some algorithm related questions that can be written in a language of our choice. The assignment had 8 questions and I was given 10 days to complete it, which was an ample time.

I was selected for the next round of interview with a member from the Operations engineer team. This was a 30 to 45 min interview which was based on the assignment that I had worked on earlier. The interview started off with questions regarding my background in computer science and my projects. I was asked to make by regular expression handle incorrect formats better. Also I was asked question regarding inner join, outer join, ISNULL, AVG, SUM, COUNT and make certain column values as 1000 if the column value was found to be NULL as a result of join operation. The interview turned out to be like a natural conversation and overall, I was quite confident about answering the questions thrown at me.

After a few days time, I was contacted by the HR that I had been selected for a 3 hour technical interview. Initially I was a bit worried, but as the interview went on, I was very calm and relaxed. This video interview happened over an interview portal called blue-jeans where I had to talk with 3 members from the engineering team at Opower. The first interview was an open ended question. I was asked to extract certain information from a large number of flat files and also I was asked to list down the scenarios that I would need to handle. I told that I could use a Java program with Reg-Ex to extract these details and what my Reg-Ex would look like. Next, I was asked to store them in a MySQL database and questions were asked related to this, such as checking constraints, checking for invalid data formats, checking against the foreign key and so on.

The second interview was based on MySQL queries such as inner join, outer join and usage of built-in functions like COUNT, AVG. The interview ended with question related to version controlling features such as Commit, and Branch. I was also asked questions like "When would you need to perform a Branch on the main trunk?".

The third and final interview was also based on MySQL. Once again I was asked to perform outer joins, inner joins based on three tables. Finally I was asked to write a code to perform a division operation without using a "/" operator. I was also asked to explain about the various possible test case scenarios for this piece of code. Also all the three interviewers told me that I will be learning to write Ruby scripts.

I got the offer after 6 days through a phone call from the HR. I am really looking forward to this summer internship at Opower.

Interview Questions
    • Write a programming code to perform division operation without using the "/" (divide) operator.   Answer Question

May 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and welcome to O! We've got some fun things planned for the summer Ossociates and happy to have you aboard!

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Opower in April 2014.

The hiring/interview process was excellent. The entire process, from application to offer, took about 6 weeks. The recruiting team kept in frequent contact with me to update me on timelines and give me an idea of next steps. I had one phone interview with the hiring manager, one with the VP of the team, then a half-day onsite interview. For the on-site, I started with a presentation illustrating data analysis that I'd done and recommendations I'd developed, then I had several one-on-one interviews with people on the Analytics team. I was given lunch and a couple breaks.

The interview questions were reasonable and respectable; they were very much in line with what I would have expected to be asked given the nature of the job. They focused more on my thought process and style of approaching problems rather than my technical skills. Some questions were about past experiences, while others were more "case study" in nature, focusing on how I would develop a data-based client presentation or what questions I would ask of a particular data set. They also asked questions to ensure I was a good fit for the company's work style.

Interview Questions
    • No question stood out as more difficult than the others. They did ask a couple "case study" type questions, which I think many people find somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

May 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and welcome to O!

Client Support Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Opower in April 2014.

Got an email at the beginning of the week to schedule a phone screening. Had phone screening at the end of the week basic questions, went through resume briefly. Got asked for a follow-up phone interview with hiring manager the next week. That had a few scenarios, how would I balance workload, and going into detail about my background and interests. Within 48 hours scheduled a 2 hour in person interview, with 3 different people, in the Arlington offices. The office was awesome. Met with three people on the team, different levels, asked a few scenario questions, talked alot about the company, the team let me ask lots of questions. Easy conversation, they definitely wanted to make sure I would be a good fit with team and company. Made sure to go through my history to show my level of interest. Got an offer within 48 hours and am excited to start in May!

May 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and welcome to O! We've got some fun things planned for our summer Ossociates this year.

Associate Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Opower in April 2014.

1. Recruiter contacted me via email 3 days after I submitted my resume on Opower's job board. Scheduled phone interview with her
    2. 30 minute phone interview with recruiter. Talked about past work experience and qualifications
    3. Homework given after the phone interview. 48 hours to complete
    4. Recruiter scheduled phone interview with hiring supervisor
    5. 1-hour phone interview with hiring supervisor. Questions covered qualifications and homework
    6. 4-hour on-site interview with 4 people: hiring manager, 2 future co-workers, 1 person whom I'd be working with if there are unresolved issues in our department, and skype interview with 1 other manager in our department who's working in another city

Interview Questions
    • technical questions on Mysql and UNIX commands   View Answer
    Went smoothly as expected

Jul 11, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! We're happy to hear you had a great experience!

Professional Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Opower.

Contacted on LinkedIn. Initial phone call with recruiter. Homework assignment on Unix and SQL. Phone interview with current Professional Services Engineer. Day of onsite interviews with various team members and managers.

Many topics were discussed throughout the process, as they are looking for well rounded individuals. Focus was on client facing experience and SQL knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult, but I was asked multiple times how to join tables and show results where one table did not have matching records. Know the difference between joins and know how to use IS NULL.   Answer Question

Apr 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review and welcome to O!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Opower in March 2014.

The whole process takes about 3 weeks. I had a phone interview with HR, a phone coding interview of 1hr with a technician. After 2 or 3 days after that, I was asked to schedule an on-site interview.
    The on-site interview was 3.5hr long. At first, I was walked around by the coordinator to see the offices. Then, I had 3 coding interviews (1hr each) and a behavioral interview for half an hour. All the interviewers were so nice, friendly and very supportive. We had time to talk before and after each interview. I actually learned a lot of thing from talking to them. Very nice people!

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were new to me. However, it's not too hard to reason and come up with the solution on the spot. And I think they care more about your thinking process and how you test your code rather than how quickly you can come up with the solution. The problem that took me most time was how to reverse a list.   View Answer

Apr 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Great to hear you had such a positive experience. Thanks for the review and the time you spent with us here at Opower.