Oppenheimer Holdings

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.3

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Applied online through college website. Was invited for an interview the next day. Really laid back first round interview. No technicals at all strictly behavioral. Made it to the Superday but accepted an offer at another firm.

Accepted at another firm

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in October 2014.

Interviewed with a group of sales people. Was suprised at the lack of intellect and engagement. The industry has moved to strictly commission thus their is no long view on how to run or structure the business by building out a quality research portal/platform.

Not the right platform for my product.

Client Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings.

Networking your way into the firm is relatively easy, Get to know someone in the firm and the rest will fall into place. Interview with HR was easy, up to brokers that you will be working with for final say.

Mutual Fund Accountant Interview

Contact directly by hiring department. Called for interview only 1 round. Took about 45 mins to interview with 2 different people. Superior and Manager. Asked basic knowledge questions and behavior questions.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in July 2014.

I applied online and called Yvonne the following day. We went back and forth through email and she sent me the offer letter later that day. I did not have to participate in a person to person interview.

Associate Director Interview

The interview process was very brief and casual. As I was coming from another job, they already pretty much knew what I knew, and were confident I could do the new job. very informal and easy going.

Interview Questions
    • They pretty much only asked me if I understood what I would be getting into. There weren't too many tough questions, as everything was pretty informal.   Answer Question
    I took one day to think about it, raised the number 20%, and they said sure, the money was not an issue.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in January 2014.

Spoke with an employee who sent my resume to the recruiter. I was contacted by an associate director and set up a preliminary first round interview. It consisted of all resume based and fit questions, nothing out of the ordinary. After passing the first round I was emailed an application and am now waiting on a second interview date.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose school XYZ? What was your role like at Company XYZ and what did you accomplish there?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in June 2013.

Met on two different occasions. Reviewed my past history and discussed my expectations and what I felt could accomplish in first two years. Most of the process was done by a recruiter. He worked out the compensation and other details. All I really did was sell myself. Not a bad way to conduct this part of the process, letting behind the scenes people do the dirty work.

Interview Questions
    • Do you mind elevators or are you afraid of heights?   View Answer

Summer Analyst - IBD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in June 2013.

Hiring process is about as unprofessional and unstructured as possible. HR is completely incompetent and you would guess they had not everyone graduated college.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very typical for investment banking interviews. They avoid the question of why do you want to work here because they know that you don't want to.   Answer Question

Because every single full-time analyst told me that I should decline and work anywhere else possible.

Trading Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oppenheimer Holdings in September 2010.

Questions I got:
    Walk through your resume
    Why Sales and Trading?
    Fixed income or equities?
    What's your career goal?
    How's your written and communication skills?

The people were very friendly. A few traders popped in to meet me during my interview and I repeated stuff in a different way. The head of the trading group asked more career goal questions while the analysts asked more about my skills and experiences.