OpticsPlanet

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.5

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OpticsPlanet.

Took roughly 3 weeks from submission of application to a job offer. After a general phone screen, I interviewed with 2 employees (one of which turned out to be my boss). The questions were generic, and then there were example questions in which you were asked to design/create/respond to an example situation .... ex: X vendor would like a marketing plan created - how would you take them to market ... The interview process was challenging, but nothing overwhelming.

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate salary up!

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OpticsPlanet in September 2014.

I applied online through CareerBuilder and the recruiter contacted me within 3 days of initial application. The recruiter, Jeremy, was funny and made the conversation easy. I went and took some tests the next day at their corporate headquarters. There were a total of 3 interviews and the job and responsibilities were laid out well and before accepting I had a great understanding of the position and everything the role entailed. The company was great at laying out the position and what would be expected of me as an employee; very honest about the position and I knew exactly what my role would be.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain ADA to an 8 year old within 5 sentences?   Answer Question
    I was asked my salary requirements and the offer met all my requirements so I did not negotiate.

Trt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at OpticsPlanet.

If you are not in customer service.. you might have a harder interview. They ask really bizarre questions like whats the capital of Canada. Somehow the owner thinks that if you know this you are worthy

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Everyone hired from the department I worked got a flat hourly rate.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at OpticsPlanet.

Round 1: Phone interview, interviewer seemed bored, very unnerving
    Round 2 Testing, took about 2 hours, easy SAT type questions
    Round 3: Two interviews, mostly softball questions, sat in a weird, abandoned tiny office

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OpticsPlanet in January 2014.

first round with hr, second round with team leader, no response after then.

Interview Questions
    • what kind of data you would collect if the sales drops a lot suddenly   Answer Question

Logistics Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OpticsPlanet.

basically a fishing scam where they blow smoke up your behind about how great you are, so when they don't give you an offer for that position they offer you another lower scale position.

Unprofessional, worthless company.

Administrative/Legal Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OpticsPlanet in October 2013.

Applied online - got a call a day later. Phone interview, then second phone interview and then an in person interview.

I spent 4 hours interviewing on a single day, including standardized testing, writing samples, interview with staff and then more testing.

Was assured I would hear back no more than a week later... three weeks later I have yet to hear anything. (And I followed up twice)

At least be professional enough to call or email with a decline and a thank you.

Copywriter Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OpticsPlanet.

This was a very challenging phone interview. Very smart, and I enjoyed it.

However, the next steps were crazy!

I was invited to come in and test for the position. I was asked to fill out paperwork that would normally be handled at the time of hire. I thought this was odd and possibly a bit of a time waster, but...

I was told that I would be taking an Excel test for the writing position. The test was an advanced level, and I failed miserably. Again, I thought it was odd to be given an advanced test. If the company uses Excel as a content management system used to manage writing elements, was an advanced test really necessary? Afterall, this was a writing position.

Now we move to the writing portion of the test. I have 20 minutes to research, write, sell and search engine optimize copy for an aircraft carrier/war ship.

My question is: How do they ever hire anyone with such impossible testing techniques?

But then, of the 50 people I saw coming and going, no one was over the age of 25. So diversity is not their strength either.

No love lost here. :)

General Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OpticsPlanet.

Very long and difficult process. You will submit an online application. If they like what they see then about 2 weeks later you will get a call from HR to set up an appointment for a 45 min phone interview for about 1 week later. If you pass the phone interview, then you will be called in for a 3.5 hour computer assesment and IQ test, along with a bunch of sample work scenarios for the job you are applying to, as well as type out 3 sample emails for a pretend scenario. Once you are graded on that you will then interview with 2 managers, about 30 min with each one. If you pass that then you will be scheduled for 2 more inteviews about a week later with 2 more managers. You will spend about 1 hour with each manager at this point, as this is the final decision phase. It was almost exactly 2 months from the time I submitted the initial application and my resume, until my first day of work.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: "We are a in a certain business sector, How do you feel about guns and knives?" This was not a joke question, gun holsters, rifle scopes, and knives are what they sell most of online.   View Answer
    I negotiated for more pay after the first offer, but they did not offer that much more.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OpticsPlanet in March 2013.

Very long process. Overall it went well, interviewed with the head of the department, waiting on a call back.