Optimizely

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.2

Engineer Interview

Only did a phone screen with one of their tech leads. I wont go into their questions, but it did show a decent amount of what they rely upon for their tech stack. Something that is concerning is that my phone screen was over 2.5 weeks ago, and I've yet to hear anything back one way or the other. Even if I wasn't the right person for the role, a courtesy of saying "thanks but no thanks" would be appreciated.

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Optimizely.

I had a 30 minute phone screen with the Sales Manager, then came into the office for four 30 minute interviews, back-to-back. I met with another SDR, an Account Executive, the Sales Manager, of Director of Mobile (or similar).

It wasn't a warm experience. The interview room was tiny, and only one of the people I met was genuinely kind. The first interviewer felt like an interrogator, one was a complete challenger, and the other was just completely neutral. I guess the plus for them is that they have a diverse team.

Interview Questions
    • How many boxes does it take to fill this room?
      What's the difference between peppermint and spearmint?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Optimizely.

I applied online and was emailed back a day later asking to schedule a phone interview. My first interview was easy and I was just asked basic questions such as why optimizely, why sales, what do you know about the company, tell me about a time where you failed etc. I was then invited to have a second round phone interview and had such a bad experience. The lady I spoke with for my second interview was extremely dull and monotoned. It didn't seem like she had any kind of personality and during the whole interview people were talking loudly in the back so I wasn't able to hear most of her question. The most frustrating part about this interview were the questions I was asked. I wasn't asked anything about the product or my experience like I was told I was going to be asked about, but rather was asked the most ridiculous questions such as what would you do improve about our website, what would you create if you had all the money in the world, and what in your opinion is the most transformational company out there which I asked what she meant by transformational company and her response was that it was up for interpretation? Anyways I was so happy when this interview was over and wish I could have emailed them saying I was no longer interested in the position before they sent some sorry automatic response saying I was no longer being considered for the position.

Interview Questions
    • If you had all the money in the world and started your own company, what would your product be and how would you go about starting your business?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Optimizely in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days for an interview. Had a phone screening and then moved on to a second interview with hiring manager. Interviewer seemed like he had written me off before he even asked his first question. He expressed little to no emotion, cursed repeatedly during the interview (Optimizely must have a frat-like culture) and acted as if each of my responses were not on par.

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Optimizely in November 2014.

I was reached out to almost immediately after I applied online to set up an initial phone screening with a hiring manager. However, when we had our call the conversation was mostly her asking me why I wanted to leave my current company instead of asking about my desire to work at Optimizely, my prior experiences, or asking for product knowledge. I felt like I was on the defensive for the entire call, which is not how an interview should go.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions for me? Based on the interview, I was genuinely surprised that I would be asked that.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

I applied for a backend engineer position. Technical phone screen followed by onsite.

Spoke to a hiring manager before technical interviews, but the manager wasn't from the team I was interviewing for. He wrote a coding problem on whiteboard, went out of room, and came back after 10 minutes to tell me his time is up.

Other coding interviews were pretty straightforward, except that one of the interviewers (also from a different team) kept insisting I write front-end code which I know very little about.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers (from a different team) kept insisting I write front-end code which I know very little about.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Optimizely in October 2014.

I found the initial recruitment and scheduling team frustrating to deal with as their communications were intermittent and somewhat disorganized. I actually ended up contacting the hiring manager directly to get some momentum going. He had me phone screened by a recruiter first for 30 minutes, which was all very pleasant and normal, but no specific next steps detailed. After a couple more weeks went by, I managed to speak with the hiring manager and had another pleasant conversation for 30 minutes or so. His questions were incisive and well thought out, and he complemented me on the answers. However, a week or so later I received a polite "thanks but no thanks" note from the team, and that was that. I was a bit surprised not to get to an onsite interview, but I think they are definitely hiring for a specific profile for the role ("right" schools, FB/Google etc on resume).

Overall, I think they probably have a very well managed Engineering team, and it would be a good place for a developer to work as they put a lot of thought in to retention and process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult per se - mostly conversational "tell me about a time when you had to do X" type of stuff.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Optimizely in October 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter at a time when I was considering leaving my current position. I'm pretty picky about who I'll talk with and after doing some background research on the company (checking out the product, their website, and various articles), I decided it seemed like a solid opportunity.

The interview process started with a phone screen with a line manager. Had me implement some primitives (won't say more than that... I don't like giving away questions). It was fun and if you have a solid CS education and a good mind, you should be fine. We then talked candidly about what each of us were looking for. The interviewer was well spoken, bright, and engaging. One of the best phone screens I've been subjected to :-)

A few days later (I was on a tight schedule since I had another offer on the way) they brought me in for a day of interviews with engineers from various teams as well as some more senior engineering management. One of the interviews (last one) was hard-core algorithm but the other tech interviews were more design/architecture. The managers and I spoke more about engineering philosophy and values.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. The folks I met were top notch, and the product and their product development methodology are great. The culture there seems FANTASTIC. When they extended me an offer they also shot a note to the engineering alias congratulating me on the offer at which point I got several notes from individuals encouraging me to join the time. Ultimately I ended up going elsewhere but I would have been TOTALLY happy joining this crew (and, as I mentioned earlier, i'm pretty picky).

Interview Questions
    • I won't give specifics about the questions asked but, as part of the prep work, they asked me to look up 'Unconventional interview questions' written by their CEO. Although they didn't directly ask any of these, there are great soul-searching questions in there and we touched on some of those indirectly during the interviews.   Answer Question
    • Read up on the product (this is always good advice). You will be asked questions about their approach to the problem space. Be prepared to demonstrate your passion for the product and thoughts for how it could be improved/extended. I got the sense they really value product-focused engineers, not just technologists.   Answer Question

Got a stronger offer from the company I initially targeted with this search. Nevertheless, Optimizely gave a solid offer.

Market Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

Absolutely terrible. I got a call from the recruiter and the background noise was overwhelming and incredibly distracting, I needed to pause so many times to ensure that the interviewer heard me. There were many occasions I thought the interviewer was speaking to me, but it was her colleagues in the background. So unprofessional. The interviewer's excuse was "oh sorry we have an open office".

The questions were typical, nothing too challenging. The recruiter was disengaged, distracted and was just spewing out questions. I love the company and its product - but the recruitment team and the recruitment process needs a lot of work.

After a little more than a week, I did not hear back from the recruiter. I had to email the recruiter to find out that they had gone with another person. After a phone interview, the least a company could do is to notify the candidates. What a shame - its a great company but my experience with the recruitment team has tarnished my view of Optimizely completely.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions -- why Optimizely? why this position? your past experiences etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Optimizely.

It was the worst unprofessional experience ever. Please don't waste your time here unless you have lots of time just going back and fourth emailing just to schedule to chat. I was referred to the company by employee. I felt either recruiting team is very lazy or they don't want to talk to me, but maybe they felt like they need to chat with me due to internal referral. If it's the latter case, they should be honest from the start and tell me that they are not interested in speaking with me instead of not responding for a few days multiple times and making candidates frustrated.

As soon as the employee referred me to the company, recruiting manager asked me my availability. I gave him a few different days with time slots, but I didn't hear from him for a few days, and later he said he is only available on certain day at certain time, so I gave him that time slot, but a few days later, he said he is not free that time, then why didn't he say from the start? like specifically. Definitely they don't care about candidates' time and value it. This was not the first time. I kept emailing with my availability and didn't hear from him for a few days again. I couldn't schedule time just for HR chat for 2 weeks. It was the worst hiring process experience so far among all the companies in bay area.