Optimizely Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.3

Market Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

Absolutely terrible. I got a call from the recruiter and the background noise was overwhelming and incredibly distracting, I needed to pause so many times to ensure that the interviewer heard me. There were many occasions I thought the interviewer was speaking to me, but it was her colleagues in the background. So unprofessional. The interviewer's excuse was "oh sorry we have an open office".

The questions were typical, nothing too challenging. The recruiter was disengaged, distracted and was just spewing out questions. I love the company and its product - but the recruitment team and the recruitment process needs a lot of work.

After a little more than a week, I did not hear back from the recruiter. I had to email the recruiter to find out that they had gone with another person. After a phone interview, the least a company could do is to notify the candidates. What a shame - its a great company but my experience with the recruitment team has tarnished my view of Optimizely completely.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions -- why Optimizely? why this position? your past experiences etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Optimizely.

It was the worst unprofessional experience ever. Please don't waste your time here unless you have lots of time just going back and fourth emailing just to schedule to chat. I was referred to the company by employee. I felt either recruiting team is very lazy or they don't want to talk to me, but maybe they felt like they need to chat with me due to internal referral. If it's the latter case, they should be honest from the start and tell me that they are not interested in speaking with me instead of not responding for a few days multiple times and making candidates frustrated.

As soon as the employee referred me to the company, recruiting manager asked me my availability. I gave him a few different days with time slots, but I didn't hear from him for a few days, and later he said he is only available on certain day at certain time, so I gave him that time slot, but a few days later, he said he is not free that time, then why didn't he say from the start? like specifically. Definitely they don't care about candidates' time and value it. This was not the first time. I kept emailing with my availability and didn't hear from him for a few days again. I couldn't schedule time just for HR chat for 2 weeks. It was the worst hiring process experience so far among all the companies in bay area.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

It was 3 steps. First was a brief phone call with a recruiter, second was a more in depth phone call with the design director, and last was an intensive 3 hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing crazy. "How do you resolve a problem if you disagree with something your design director says?"   Answer Question

Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Optimizely in August 2014.

Phone interview with HR and another engineer took place before an in-person interview. The phone interview consisted of basic knowledge and background (experience). The in-person interview took place in a very small shared workspace. Demonstration of knowledge based on a given scenario was drawn up on a white board. The interview took about 1 hour. Both guys met with knew my background and were extremely friendly and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Any code written on paper or in this case a white board is difficult. As coders we use computers, just use a computer for the demonstration!   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Optimizely in July 2014.

I was referred to the company by an employee. The very next day I had a phone screen with the Manager of the Customer Success Team. I knew the phone screen didn't go that well but it still took the Team 3 weeks to get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • How would I prioritize accounts?
      What's an example of a negative interaction with a client and how you turned it around?
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Optimizely.

I applied online through Linkedin. Then I got an email from a lady from Recruiting Coordinator at Optimizely to schedule an interview with the Recruiter. which is kind of a complicated process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was short. the interviewer was not very engaging the conversation. Feels like he did not want to have this interview. He was often quiet. It was a very odd situation. It feels like it was wasting time for both of us.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Optimizely.

I had two phone interviews (a behavioral one, and a technical one), then an onsite interview. The phone interviews were with the VP of Engineering (behavioral) and an engineer (technical).

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely in May 2014.

After a quick HR screen I had a technical phone interview which was straightforward - reverse a linked list. They walked me through making my code more elegant than what I came up with at the beginning.

Next I did an on-site interview which consisted of four sessions. They all asked a bit about my background and previous experience. The first was a "culture fit" interview. Next was "low-level engineering" where the interviewer asked about nit-picky programming concepts. One example was generating a sequence of 0's and 1's that was recursive in its definition. I used a for-loop construction, and the interviewer made sure every bit was correct and then spent a while asking about complexity. The complexity was simple, basically everything is 2^n, but he kept asking a lot of similar questions.

The next session was about machine learning/statistics because I mentioned that I knew something about that. The interviewer asked about computing the KS statistic from data. I did it one way but he wanted me to do it with only one loop through the sorted data, don't know why.

The last session was about systems integration and some high-level concepts. They asked about building a distributed database with asynchronous updates, what things you can do to increase robustness to failures in communication lines and nodes. He asked how RAID works but I said I don't know.

The atmosphere was pretty rigorous but also open. The building layout was very open with everyone at desks and tables, no walls or cubicles. Nice lighting and great location in downtown SF.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked about parallel communication with global variables. Specifically, if two parallel processes are trying to update some global variables, how should the global vars be locked? If you do it wrong, you get a race condition. But there are a number of ways that work fine, and he kept asking "how about this order of locking?" and most of the time it didn't change anything. He must have asked like 8 different combinations, I don't know why. Finally he moved on to asking about efficiency problems if one process has to wait a very long time for another one to finish.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

I applied for a Recruiting Coordinator position at Optimizely. I was contacted within a week by another Recruiting Coordinator. She emailed me to set up a telephone interview. I completed the telephone interview with her the next week. She was very helpful and explained a lot about the position they were looking to fill, why the last person vacated the position (she was promoted to a new position in the HR department), and what type of role the RC plays in the company. She asked a lot about my experience, skills, and goals. I recommend you talk about the type of volume you've processed in a similar hiring role (I processed 500+ resumes per posting in an ATS that I controlled in a prior job, and this figure seemed to blow her away).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too challenging. "What is your desired salary?"   View Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely in May 2014.

After applying online & receiving an email requesting a phone interview, the initial call with their Recruiter was not scheduled correctly (their fault) so I waited around for 20 mins and never got the promised call. Once rescheduled, the Recruiter seemed distracted and unable to answer basic questions about A/B testing/websites and the company vision beyond the website marketing jargon. All that said, I'm sure the people/company are great...