Optimizely

Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.2

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Optimizely.

I applied online and was emailed back a day later asking to schedule a phone interview. My first interview was easy and I was just asked basic questions such as why optimizely, why sales, what do you know about the company, tell me about a time where you failed etc. I was then invited to have a second round phone interview and had such a bad experience. The lady I spoke with for my second interview was extremely dull and monotoned. It didn't seem like she had any kind of personality and during the whole interview people were talking loudly in the back so I wasn't able to hear most of her question. The most frustrating part about this interview were the questions I was asked. I wasn't asked anything about the product or my experience like I was told I was going to be asked about, but rather was asked the most ridiculous questions such as what would you do improve about our website, what would you create if you had all the money in the world, and what in your opinion is the most transformational company out there which I asked what she meant by transformational company and her response was that it was up for interpretation? Anyways I was so happy when this interview was over and wish I could have emailed them saying I was no longer interested in the position before they sent some sorry automatic response saying I was no longer being considered for the position.

Interview Questions
    • If you had all the money in the world and started your own company, what would your product be and how would you go about starting your business?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Optimizely in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days for an interview. Had a phone screening and then moved on to a second interview with hiring manager. Interviewer seemed like he had written me off before he even asked his first question. He expressed little to no emotion, cursed repeatedly during the interview (Optimizely must have a frat-like culture) and acted as if each of my responses were not on par.

Sales Development Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Optimizely in November 2014.

I was reached out to almost immediately after I applied online to set up an initial phone screening with a hiring manager. However, when we had our call the conversation was mostly her asking me why I wanted to leave my current company instead of asking about my desire to work at Optimizely, my prior experiences, or asking for product knowledge. I felt like I was on the defensive for the entire call, which is not how an interview should go.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions for me? Based on the interview, I was genuinely surprised that I would be asked that.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

I applied for a backend engineer position. Technical phone screen followed by onsite.

Spoke to a hiring manager before technical interviews, but the manager wasn't from the team I was interviewing for. He wrote a coding problem on whiteboard, went out of room, and came back after 10 minutes to tell me his time is up.

Other coding interviews were pretty straightforward, except that one of the interviewers (also from a different team) kept insisting I write front-end code which I know very little about.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers (from a different team) kept insisting I write front-end code which I know very little about.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Optimizely in October 2014.

I found the initial recruitment and scheduling team frustrating to deal with as their communications were intermittent and somewhat disorganized. I actually ended up contacting the hiring manager directly to get some momentum going. He had me phone screened by a recruiter first for 30 minutes, which was all very pleasant and normal, but no specific next steps detailed. After a couple more weeks went by, I managed to speak with the hiring manager and had another pleasant conversation for 30 minutes or so. His questions were incisive and well thought out, and he complemented me on the answers. However, a week or so later I received a polite "thanks but no thanks" note from the team, and that was that. I was a bit surprised not to get to an onsite interview, but I think they are definitely hiring for a specific profile for the role ("right" schools, FB/Google etc on resume).

Overall, I think they probably have a very well managed Engineering team, and it would be a good place for a developer to work as they put a lot of thought in to retention and process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult per se - mostly conversational "tell me about a time when you had to do X" type of stuff.   Answer Question

Market Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

Absolutely terrible. I got a call from the recruiter and the background noise was overwhelming and incredibly distracting, I needed to pause so many times to ensure that the interviewer heard me. There were many occasions I thought the interviewer was speaking to me, but it was her colleagues in the background. So unprofessional. The interviewer's excuse was "oh sorry we have an open office".

The questions were typical, nothing too challenging. The recruiter was disengaged, distracted and was just spewing out questions. I love the company and its product - but the recruitment team and the recruitment process needs a lot of work.

After a little more than a week, I did not hear back from the recruiter. I had to email the recruiter to find out that they had gone with another person. After a phone interview, the least a company could do is to notify the candidates. What a shame - its a great company but my experience with the recruitment team has tarnished my view of Optimizely completely.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions -- why Optimizely? why this position? your past experiences etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Optimizely.

It was the worst unprofessional experience ever. Please don't waste your time here unless you have lots of time just going back and fourth emailing just to schedule to chat. I was referred to the company by employee. I felt either recruiting team is very lazy or they don't want to talk to me, but maybe they felt like they need to chat with me due to internal referral. If it's the latter case, they should be honest from the start and tell me that they are not interested in speaking with me instead of not responding for a few days multiple times and making candidates frustrated.

As soon as the employee referred me to the company, recruiting manager asked me my availability. I gave him a few different days with time slots, but I didn't hear from him for a few days, and later he said he is only available on certain day at certain time, so I gave him that time slot, but a few days later, he said he is not free that time, then why didn't he say from the start? like specifically. Definitely they don't care about candidates' time and value it. This was not the first time. I kept emailing with my availability and didn't hear from him for a few days again. I couldn't schedule time just for HR chat for 2 weeks. It was the worst hiring process experience so far among all the companies in bay area.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely.

It was 3 steps. First was a brief phone call with a recruiter, second was a more in depth phone call with the design director, and last was an intensive 3 hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing crazy. "How do you resolve a problem if you disagree with something your design director says?"   Answer Question

Customer Advocacy/Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optimizely in September 2014.

It took approx. a week for Optimizely to contact me after submitting my resume. My initial phone screen with the recruiter was great. She was prompt, asked practical questions and offered me advice for my next phone interview. The next interviewer (the hiring manager) seemed slightly distracted during our conversation but was friendly and pleasant. After another week I was contacted by the recruiter to set up an in-person interview. Unfortunately, they made the offer to another individual who accepted and so I did not end up completing an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything particularly difficult, just the standard background/experience and why I want to work for the company questions.   Answer Question

Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Optimizely in August 2014.

Phone interview with HR and another engineer took place before an in-person interview. The phone interview consisted of basic knowledge and background (experience). The in-person interview took place in a very small shared workspace. Demonstration of knowledge based on a given scenario was drawn up on a white board. The interview took about 1 hour. Both guys met with knew my background and were extremely friendly and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Any code written on paper or in this case a white board is difficult. As coders we use computers, just use a computer for the demonstration!   Answer Question