Optiver Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
91 interviews

3.4

Junior Trader Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Optiver.

Get a phone interview through campus career fair (calculate simple math questions, I think acceptance is based on correctness and efficiency, this part is not hard), the phone interview asked about behavior questions like why do you want to be a trader, how do you know our company, what books do you read, etc.

Trader Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Optiver was very professional and quick getting back to me. They usually told me my feedback the next day, and I was extremely impressed when they brought me into the office. Best team I have met during the recruiting process

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Optiver in March 2014.

I applied on the website - 2 weeks later do a math assessment and after a week got a behavioral interview. A week was the trader interview.

Round 1 - Math Assessment - 80 simple math questions in 8 minutes
    Round 2 - Behavioral phone interview - fairly easy, competency based and basic fits questions
    Round 3 - Trader Interview - brainteasers/logic questions - all technical based

Didnt move on after third round

Interview Questions
    • math assessment you should practice on mental math. its simple addition/subtraction and multiply/division but you have to be quiet at solving the problem. - you should be able to score at around 55 out of 80 to move on.
      trader interview -review probability and stats and practice on brainteasers
        Answer Question

Trader Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Optiver in April 2014.

Applied through university and the process took about 3 weeks. They sent a link for a math assessment. 8 minutes for 80 multiple choice questions no calculator. It was hard due to the scoring system and time limit. They said they will reply whether you made it through the pre- screening or not , but i havent heard back yet.

Traderr Interview

80 questions and get 78 correct

Junior Trader Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Optiver in February 2014.

First online numeric test. not difficult but need speed and accuracy. First round phone behavior interview, talked with an HR, all resume based, question usually started with "why". didn't go through any previous internship experience. But got denied after two days with an email.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected. really basic behavior interview. But I'm not sure if they have any special tastes.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Got to do a math test first. 80 questions in 8 mins. Then got a behavioral interview first. Asked some questions like why your major, why this company blablabla.

Trader Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

First round is online test. Most are simple calculation questions. Second round is behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very special. Just common behavior questions. Why trader? Why optiver? HR is nice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Took an online math test (8 min 80 questions). Passed that and took a behavioral phone interview the following week. They passed me and asked to do a technical phone interview later that week. Invited me downtown to take some more tests. Did not pass all the tests so I could not do my on site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • For the technical phone interview, know your fractions really well. They also asked me to make a market on the population of Dallas.   Answer Question

Campus: Trader Internship Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver in January 2014.

Applied online and received an email shortly after inviting me to take the infamous 8-minute test. Studied a lot but the test was actually relatively easy for me. The multiple choice makes it easier than those found on tradertest.org (at least in my opinion). Premium on accuracy for the test as you do not get penalized for not finishing; however, you should aim to get through at least 60 in case you miss a couple.

The second contact I had with them was an email saying that I had passed the online test and would be having a 15-minute phone screening the next week. This was relatively straight forward - walk me through your resume, why trading, 3 words to describe you, any questions you have for them. When they say 15 minutes they aren't kidding the interviewer ended it promptly 15 minutes after the start of the call. Before they hung up they told me I would be hearing from the recruiter to set up my technical interview. In a couple of days I received the email and scheduled my technical interview for roughly a week later.

The technical interview was what you would expect but I was nervous and did not perform well. The first thing they asked was why trading and why I would be a good fit. Just to try and calm the nerves - it didn't work for me but that was not the interviewer's fault. He was actually very pleasant and easy to talk to. First round of questions were mental math questions were speed focused (but still need to be close to the right answer) where I was to answer in basis points. Even though I have dealt a lot with basis points in my other internships I had a difficult time answering correctly. Some of the questions were 44/157 and the ratio of my age to my interviewers (this was obviously a guess as I did not know his age). The second mental math question was a huge premium on accuracy. The question was 7^(2.5) to the nearest integer. He wanted me to take 15 seconds to think through my process and then walk him through my answer. You just have to break it up to (7^2) * (7^0.5). Finally there was a market making question after he ensured I knew what the role of market makers was. He asked me to make a market on the Chase Corporate Challenge in Chicago.

I did not make it past this but I believe that the next step would be to go to their office in Chicago and have in-house interviews.

Overall, my experience was positive and I learned a lot through the process. You definitely have to prepare and be calm during the interview if you want to perform well.

Interview Questions
    • Making a market on the Chase Corporate Challenge was difficult. I had absolutely no clue how many people participated so I had to make a very wide market (but was still wrong on a confidence interval which I said was 70% confidence). He asked my 100% confidence interval (which included the correct answer) after he could tell my first answer wasn't confident enough.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Optiver? Contribute to the Community!