Optiver Trader Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2015

3.5

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Online test, then phone interview, then in-office "superday".

A LOT of math/probability, questions designed to catch you off guard, behavioral as well. Overall I felt the questions were reasonable in general but challenging in a time-pressure environment.

People are very nice, environment is pretty cool, I liked how everyone was very excited about their work.

Interview Questions

• Market making "game" (confidence levels, bets, etc.)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Optiver

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Optiver came to my university's career fair and administered their famous 80-question, 8-minute timed multiple choice test to determine who they would contact afterwards. Phone interview with HR in the weeks following, and then technical phone interview with a member of the trading team. All in all, very straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• Mental math calculations which are graded on speed and accuracy   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Optiver.

Interview

A numerical test at beginning to screen candidates, 80 questions in 8 mins, cutoff is ~53 something, must be fast and accurate, cannot use any calculating device. HR got back to me right after I finished the numerical test, first told me I passed the test and scheduled a phone interview. First round phone interview asked some resume related question, and your interest in trading. Second round phone interview consisted of some technical questions, e.g. marketing making question, decision making algorithm, etc, and some mental math questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, but given the pressure it could be easy to get the wrong answers.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Interview

Took a test online, had to do as many of 80 questions in 8 minutes as I could. Didn't pass, I thought it was pretty tough. Have to be really good at mental math to pass.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Optiver.

Interview

There is an" 80 mental math multiple choices in 8 min" test before first round. First Round is all behavioral and Second Round is Technical. Questions are like: Why want to be a trader? Why this university? And they also asked about my major and how do I like it.

Interview Questions

• Not too many. Mental Math sometimes is hard. Like random two digit number square etc.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Optiver in September 2014.

Interview

I applied on school career service website and the HR contact me in a week and send me a link to do the math test for 8 mins. it was 80 easy calculation questions but need to be quick and accurate. I only finished 65 I remember and I know one of them is wrong. Then I get a email from HR and set up time for phone interview. The interview was about experience and behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I choose to be a trader, why choose my university, why I choose my major, advantages and disadvantages, etc. I am waiting to be contacted for second interview.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optiver in September 2014.

Interview

A math test before first round interview, which was covering my resume and why I wanted to be a trader. Second round interview was technical, which consisted of brainteasers and mental math problems.

Interview Questions

• Waiting on the result of second round interview.   1 Answer

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Optiver.

Interview

Optiver was very professional and quick getting back to me. They usually told me my feedback the next day, and I was extremely impressed when they brought me into the office. Best team I have met during the recruiting process

Interview Questions

• normal brain teasers, review stats   3 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Optiver in April 2014.

Interview

Applied through university and the process took about 3 weeks. They sent a link for a math assessment. 8 minutes for 80 multiple choice questions no calculator. It was hard due to the scoring system and time limit. They said they will reply whether you made it through the pre- screening or not , but i havent heard back yet.

Application

Interview

Got to do a math test first. 80 questions in 8 mins. Then got a behavioral interview first. Asked some questions like why your major, why this company blablabla.