Optiver

Average Difficulty
49 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Trader

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Interview Details – Optiver was very professional and quick getting back to me. They usually told me my feedback the next day, and I was extremely impressed when they brought me into the office. Best team I have met during the recruiting process

Interview Question – normal brain teasers, review stats   View Answer

Trader

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Optiver in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through university and the process took about 3 weeks. They sent a link for a math assessment. 8 minutes for 80 multiple choice questions no calculator. It was hard due to the scoring system and time limit. They said they will reply whether you made it through the pre- screening or not , but i havent heard back yet.

Interview Question – Did not go through the second step   Answer Question

Trader

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Interview Details – Got to do a math test first. 80 questions in 8 mins. Then got a behavioral interview first. Asked some questions like why your major, why this company blablabla.

Interview Question – The qualities of being a trader.   Answer Question

Trader

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Interview Details – First round is online test. Most are simple calculation questions. Second round is behavior questions.

Interview Question – Nothing very special. Just common behavior questions. Why trader? Why optiver? HR is nice.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver.

Interview Details – Took an online math test (8 min 80 questions). Passed that and took a behavioral phone interview the following week. They passed me and asked to do a technical phone interview later that week. Invited me downtown to take some more tests. Did not pass all the tests so I could not do my on site interviews.

Interview Question – For the technical phone interview, know your fractions really well. They also asked me to make a market on the population of Dallas.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Optiver

Interview Details – Numerical test, behavioral interview and technical interview

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver in October 2013.

Interview Details – The first part of the interview process is a fast math test - all questions of the form x _ y = z where _ is an operation and two of x, y, and z are filled in and you need to solve the third. They won't tell you what score is required, but they do have some specific cutoff. I don't think there's much one can do to prepare for this sort of thing, you can do it or you can't.

This is followed by a non-technical phone screen - they called this a "behavioral interview" but at least for me it was nothing like the sort of interview typically associated with this name. The point seemed to be to make sure that you behave yourself when talking to someone.

Then is a technical phone interview with a trader. Seemed to be pretty normal for something along those lines.

I didn't get past that, but they said it would be followed up with an on-site interview and that would be the end of the process.

Interview Question – In the technical interview, be prepared to give your percent confidence in all of your answers.   Answer Question

Trader

I applied online - interviewed at Optiver in December 2013.

Interview Details – 80 numeric questions and a first phone interview with basic behavior questions. I got the rejection letter the second I hang up the phone........

Interview Question – go through every past experience on the resume, why optiver, why trader, 3 words your family would describe you   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Optiver in September 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online.

Got emailed about taking a quantitative test. Same as detailed elsewhere on here - 80 questions, 1 point for right answers and -2 for skipped/wrong. Answered ~58 questions and did well enough to move on.

Next step was a phone interview with someone in HR. Pretty straight forward - Interest, what makes you a good candidate, etc. Nothing interesting here, but again, was asked to continue on.

Third step was a technical interview with a trader. He asked a bunch of questions (detailed below) with a high stress on how long it would take me to answer and how confident I felt about my answers that I provided. Be prepared to do a lot of mental math and with accuracy (he noted my estimations were strong but my ability to be precise was not). Pretty friendly and it lasted about 45 minutes. That said, I struggled at times and did not do well enough to proceed with my candidacy.

Interview Question – Make a market on the number of laptops in the United States

How many squares exist between 1000 and 2000?

For two numbers, 691 and 697, tell me which (or both) is prime

Pretend that you own a single taxi and drive it as a business. Tell me about two short-term and long-term challenges that you face.
  View Answer

Trader

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Optiver.

Interview Details – Applied through campus career fair and did a quiz with 80 math questions. Then got a phone interview in a week.

Interview Question – Why trader? Three words to describe yourself   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Optiver

Worked for Optiver? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Optiver Trader interview questions and advice. All 49 interview reviews posted anonymously by Optiver employees and interview candidates.