Oracle Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oracle (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Austin, TX. Contacted by 2 different recruiters, and scheduled for an "Open House" event to network and be exposed to hiring managers. Submitted a profile form in a MS Word document with a variety of questions which I have listed below. If you answer them to their liking, and pass a preliminary screening of your experience and qualifications, you will be invited to an Open House networking, meet & greet event at a local hotel.

The Open House event was at a nice Hotel in Austin. You arrive, sign in, and are given a badge with your name, as well as a table theme word below your name, such as Teamwork, Passion, Growth, and the event was well organized. I would estimate 80 potential candidates were present, and a bunch of people were then crammed into a small room where the majority of the people spent time ordering from the bar, at their own expense. I networked with three different managers, took notes regarding the questions and answers I asked, as well as the conversations from others.

Be aware that you are being reviewed from the moment you walk into the Hotel, someone is looking at you, how you act, dress, appear focused, positive, organized, and maintain energy from start to finish. The Open House will last approximately 2 hours.

You are instructed to dress business professional, meaning black or navy business suit, white shirt, black tie, belt, shoes. DO NOT SHOW UP wearing a pair of khakis, an oxford, and a sport coat with loafers. Dress like a Wall Street drone-clone. A good example might be to do a Google Image Search for "Matrix Agents." Now you get it.

After an hour of walking around looking for "Red Badges," ie. the managers will be wearing red clip on name badges, and you're to walk around and find them like, "Where's Waldo?". Next you are called into a banquet room with a bunch of tables. Your seating is coordinated by your name tag theme, so "Teamwork" badges will sit here at this table. "Passion" badges will sit here at this table. To my knowledge there is no creatively intelligent assignment of those names. Rather it's just another way to show you are part of a small group, compartmentalized in every way, and then absorbed into the Matrix known as Oracle, where everything tastes like chicken.

A Sales Director got up and gave his best effort at being passionate while speaking to an extremely boring Power Point presentation that essentially lists the same bullet points you can get from their "About Us" on their website. Next you watch this video of the America's Cup, Oracle boat racing, running into other boats, flipping over, and basically being completely hazardous; which I'm not sure is the most appropriate depiction of a responsible company, but so be it. By the way, each boat costs $150 million, and they have like 5 of them. Yeah; that's a billion dollars in boats.

The old Oracle CEO known as "Next Slide Please," is no longer there, but they speak about him as if he's the current CEO because of his legacy of arrogance. The entire presentation by the Sales Director is a full-on "Come Drink the Koolaid at Oracle!"

After the presentation, you are then given 30 minutes to speak with the 2-3 managers sitting at your table and ask them questions. They rotate new managers to your table 2-3 times, time permitting.

So, the next step was to come back for an interview if you receive an email within one day confirming you were moving to the next step. I did receive that email, and so did like 40 other candidates. I knew that because a friend of mine pointed out the recruiter who sent the form letter email cc'd all of the candidates publicly rather than using bcc. Pretty poor business practices and security for a company that invented the "database", but who am I to judge.

During the conversations with the recruiters, they informed me that there would be a panel interview, then if that went well I would be brought back to meet with the manager I would be working for to finalize the offer and accept the position. In the form letter it stated to bring at least six copies of your resume.

I arrived, waited 10 minutes past the interview start time, was greeted by one manager, taken to some interview room, asked two questions, and that was that. No notes, no other managers, nothing. It was the most anti-climactic ending I've ever experienced.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Oracle

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oracle.

Interview

2 phone calls relatively easy just tell them you are determined to sell their products, sales experience helps too tell them you love working with people and finding solutions you want to get database if you can because that is the best kind of product to sell for sure

Interview Questions

• tell them you love working with people and finding solutions   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Oracle.

Interview

I was recruited out of college and the interview what some what simple. Oracle began a new sales hire training program. I think the main thing that the recruiter was looking for is a personality. Oracle taught us all the fundamentals in the 8 week program. We just need to ready for it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Oracle (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Extremely easy, Oracle only looks for minimal sales experience because it's basically paper sales, not actual hunting. There are less than 3 phone interviews and one in person. The interview is just a few questions to gauge that you have a little intelligence and then they want to hear that you're a competitive person. Most of Oracle's inside sales team are secretaries for the real salesmen in the field - they don't need well qualified people making cold calls all day long.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Oracle.

Interview

4 round of interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

lot of negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Oracle (Burlington, MA) in September 2012.

Interview

The people interviewing you are serious. Very intelligent and all successful sales people. They will challenge you and poke holes in your answers. It's up to you to hold your ground and be confident in what you're saying. Every division is different, but your second interview will be your toughest and require your absolute A game.

Interview Questions

• "What makes you think you belong in the Big Leagues?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

It's different for everyone. Unless they really want you, they wont negotiate with you.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Oracle (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2012.

Interview

Phone Interview with recruiter
    Was set up to meet with three hiring managers that week

Interview Questions

• Each of the managers asked different kinds of questions.
      One had me role play a cold call

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Oracle (Reston, VA) in September 2012.

Interview

Oracle is looking for talented, highly self motivated sales candidates. Must be able to learn as much as possible in a short amount of time and expected to execute immediately.

Interview Questions

• Must have previous experience in B2B sales to get an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Competitive base salary plus uncapped commission potential

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oracle (Burlington, MA) in July 2009.

Interview

Your website does not allow a person to go back past 2009, so I will correct that to 2006, since nothing has really charged in the interview process at Oracle.

I had tracked down the name of an internal recruiter and it took over 2 years to get in. In fact, the same recruiter had called me back after having landed a role with another software company and after being there only a little over a year. So, although I checked phone interview, that was only with an HR recruiter, the next step; was to come in and meet a Regional Manager for a discussion. The questions focused on how I prepared for the interview and what I new about Oracle and my general history. Lasted only about 45 minutes then I was called back in two days by the recruiter, sent a 10 page presentation template and asked to fill it out. The presentation if one is familiar with the industry is not bad, two or three business problems, how you would solve them. However, when I was scheduled to come in and do the presentation there was a 5 person panel which included the same Field RM who interviwed me, 2 people from what I call Pre-Sales (At Oracle they are called "SC's" Sales Consultants, there was GVP and a VP there as well.

The only surprise, which I considered a good one was the VP who I came to know well after accepting the offer was what he sked: "How do you translate the benefits you have put together so well, which do solve the customer's problem," into a dollar value that might mean something to the customer. My reply was simply: Benefits are translated to dollars and part of an overall business case, clients do not buy benefits, even if on the surface they solve a solution, there must be hard ROI. I then asked if they would like me to construct a mock business case. They say, no, thank you, I noticed the RM smile a bit and the next day I received a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• "How do you translate benefits into a dollar value that might mean something to the customer?   2 Answers
    • What makes you better than the 6 other candidates we're interviewing?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I cannot disclose numbers, this would betra an NDA, but I will say Oracle pays lower than most companies, but there is a reason for this. A person gains a great deal of knowledge on a variety of Applications and Technology products and their benefits are second to none. Also, they do not toy with non-producers and most employers know if you have made it at Oracle more than 18 months, you're very successful at what you do.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oracle (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)) in December 2014.

Interview

Went over 4 interviews and did not even got a thanks but no thanks call. They seemed not like people with family even if they also have one. I really feel they lack clarity and openness and despite asking for an answer either way they couldn't do so.

Interview Questions

• What would be the first thing you would tell a client   1 Answer