Oracle

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Solutions Consultant Interview

Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Oracle in April 2012.

Interview Details – Originally interviewed at a company which had been acquired by Oracle but not yet been integrated (RightNow). Bit of a bumpy transition mid-process to the Oracle hiring process instead.
First interview with a very senior director, fairly informal, with another interview the same day with the internal recruiter who had approached me via LinkedIn.
Having been told I would be invited back, I insisted on having my own separate meeting with one or more members of the team I'd be working with. Ended up meeting two would-be colleagues, separately. I asked for this - it wasn't offered as such, but they were happy to organise it - what a good sign!
There was supposed to be a second, panel interview with a presentation of my understanding of their business/products, and of how I'd see my first few months, plus a little about 'why me'. i prepped for this, but they had to rearrange it and then they decided to go straight to making me an offer instead. Had it been the standard Oracle process I think they would have had to go through with it regardless.
Once I'd had the unofficial 'nod', there was a very...long...wait...for contracts to come all the way from Romania. My new boss was very good and rang me every 10 days or so to keep me updated, but it was a good six weeks or so. Having spoken to a newer colleague, they didn't have such a long wait in the 'standard' process, so this may simply have been because of the transition between the acquired company's hiring process and Oracle's hiring process for me.
There is also an unbelievably detailed background check, using the CV I had originally submitted to the recruiter. They went all the way back to my university to check my degree qualification (over 15 years ago), wanted three business referees, plus two personal referees. They checked every employer and job title I'd had in the last 10 years, which was a bit awkward as my official titles were very vague so hadn't used them on my CV. But this didn't ultimately cause me a problem - a report goes to the hiring manager summarising anything the background check has flagged as an issue.

Interview Question – Very little technical stuff, but an in-depth discussion of the sales cycle as seen by a presales consultant, and questions around handling difficult people/situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Oracle has in-house recruiters, and they have fairly pre-set negotiating parameters. They will NOT offer more than about 15% over what you're already earning, so make sure you present your existing package as favourably as possible. More negotiation on the bonus pool size, and benefit points allocation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle interview questions and advice in Reading, England. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees and interview candidates.