Oracle Interview Questions & Reviews in Reading, England

2 interviews

3.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Oracle in April 2014.

Telephone interview first, then if successful another two in person interviews.
    Tell me what experience you have in shell programming, which operating systems are you familiar with, programming languages you know, do you know what is the recent biggest threat discovered on the Internet (wanted to hear about Heartbleed), recent projects you have done, interested in security and encryption, what are you most interested in developing(apps, OS, games)

Interview Questions

Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Oracle in April 2012.

Originally interviewed at a company which had been acquired by Oracle but not yet been integrated (RightNow). Bit of a bumpy transition mid-process to the Oracle hiring process instead.
    First interview with a very senior director, fairly informal, with another interview the same day with the internal recruiter who had approached me via LinkedIn.
    Having been told I would be invited back, I insisted on having my own separate meeting with one or more members of the team I'd be working with. Ended up meeting two would-be colleagues, separately. I asked for this - it wasn't offered as such, but they were happy to organise it - what a good sign!
    There was supposed to be a second, panel interview with a presentation of my understanding of their business/products, and of how I'd see my first few months, plus a little about 'why me'. i prepped for this, but they had to rearrange it and then they decided to go straight to making me an offer instead. Had it been the standard Oracle process I think they would have had to go through with it regardless.
    Once I'd had the unofficial 'nod', there was a very...long...wait...for contracts to come all the way from Romania. My new boss was very good and rang me every 10 days or so to keep me updated, but it was a good six weeks or so. Having spoken to a newer colleague, they didn't have such a long wait in the 'standard' process, so this may simply have been because of the transition between the acquired company's hiring process and Oracle's hiring process for me.
    There is also an unbelievably detailed background check, using the CV I had originally submitted to the recruiter. They went all the way back to my university to check my degree qualification (over 15 years ago), wanted three business referees, plus two personal referees. They checked every employer and job title I'd had in the last 10 years, which was a bit awkward as my official titles were very vague so hadn't used them on my CV. But this didn't ultimately cause me a problem - a report goes to the hiring manager summarising anything the background check has flagged as an issue.

Interview Questions
    • Very little technical stuff, but an in-depth discussion of the sales cycle as seen by a presales consultant, and questions around handling difficult people/situations.   Answer Question
    Oracle has in-house recruiters, and they have fairly pre-set negotiating parameters. They will NOT offer more than about 15% over what you're already earning, so make sure you present your existing package as favourably as possible. More negotiation on the bonus pool size, and benefit points allocation.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!