Oracle

Getting the Interview

35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Burlington, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oracle in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call two weeks later. Basically going through my work experience and was told I will be contacted shortly. A week later HR arranged for in person interview that lasted 3 hours. Mostly technical questions. Abstract vs interface etc.

Interview Question – there was no difficult or unexpected questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Got what I wanted

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Oracle in November 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume at the University Career Fair in September 2013, and got contacted within a week. Scheduled an onsite interview without any phone screens. I was interviewed by 6 groups on both the Redwood city and the Santa Clara campuses. After the interviews the HR asked me to rank the groups according to my preferences.
I got the feedback within 48 hours, and I got in the group that I was most interested in.

Interview Question – What would happen during a page fault?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was very competitive. I didn't negotiate.

Interviewed at Oracle

Interview Details – I was acquired through an acquisition. No process involved.

Interview Question – Unsure of fate as the new company was taking over. In the end it was smooth.   Answer Question

Broomfield, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Oracle in August 2013.

Interview Details – This was the most efficient interview process I've ever seen.

The HR phone screen was a standard 45 minute conversation with the recruiter. They made the decision to move forward within just a few hours.

The technical phone screen was with the Senior Engineer, hiring Manager and Manager's boss. Each had their own technical questions - the Senior engineer asked challenging technical questions about the Java language, the manager asked about schedules, project decisions, etc, and the Manager's boss asked about interpersonal skills and experiences. It was gruelling and I thought I had failed. They made the decision to move forward within 1 hour.

The on-site interview was most impressive: The hiring manager brought his entire team into a conference room and asked "Tell us about yourself". That allowed everyone to hear about me and we didn't need to go over my experience 6 times. Then all except 2 engineers left and they asked hard Java questions for a while, and then 2 others relieved them and asked more hard technical questions. Then the hiring manager came back and asked if I had any questions for him and then it was all over. Only 2 hours and they had a pretty good sense of what I could do. The downside was that I didn't get as much of a chance to learn about them as I would have liked. The best part? They made their decision and contacted me with an offer within two hours.

Interview Question – Here's an obscure piece of code. What will be printed at line 27? (actually, I got this question several times, but thankfully they didn't use messed-up variable names). They also asked about infrequently used language features: "Transient", "Volatile", "Finalize", etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a lower, but competitive salary, so I decided not to try to improve that. I did request more vacation time (which they were able to accomodate) and I also asked that they more their offices closer to my house :-) (they declined, but did agree that I could work from home sometimes).

Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oracle in October 2009.

Interview Details – There was a phone screen followed by three rounds of personal interviews. Expect a lengthy process, it took about one month before I got offer in my hand.

Interview Question – They ask you to write code on the board, they give you few puzzles to slove.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offer low salary at first, I had to bargain to get more salary.

Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Oracle in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening. then 6 rounds of interview at onsite. after 3 weeks got a call from senior director regarding the offer negotiation.

Interview Question – You have 10 boxes of balls (each ball weighing exactly10 gm) with one box with defective balls (each one of the defective balls weigh 9 gm). You are given an electronic weighing machine and only one chance at it. How will find out which box has the defective balls?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Oracle.

Interview Details – Applied via website. Contacted promptly by HR, who gave me the standard interview (why do you want to change jobs, etc.). This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager, which lasted about an hour. Manager asked some behavioral and technical questions, after which we bantered for a while. He indicated interest in proceeding. The next step was to take a programming test, which I passed. That was followed by a more technical interview with an engineer. The following day the manager invited me for an in house interview. This covered topics like technical skills, soft skills , etc. The interview had group and smaller (1-2 interviewers) sessions. It lasted about 4 hours and included lunch.

The next day the manager told me that he wanted to hire me. This is where it got interesting, It took almost 2 months for an official offer to be made. The reason being is that the offer process goes all the way up the management chain to the CEO and can be vetoed by a number of people before it gets to his desk. When I finally got it, the offer included a 9% pay increase for me. After accepting the offer I had to complete the background check process, which was grueling. They verify every place you claimed to work for the past 10 years and ask for W2's to verify your salary claims.

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation. It was take it or leave it. They did offer me a 9% pay increase, so this wasn't an issue

Redwood City, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Oracle in May 2010.

Interview Details – I am a citizen working in Asia currently. I got two rounds of phone interviews with the company. There are about 3-4 people interviewers on the phone each time. Generally start with an introduction and go right into technical question ranging from basic Java, to algorithm, to IQ question and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Given two sorted integer arrays, how do you combine them into one sorted array?   View Answer
  • Which data structure is one of the most common source of Java memory leaks?   View Answer

Redwood City, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Oracle in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a manager after having submitted my resume for a specific position. I spoke with him about the position and about his team. A few days later I went in for an interview. The team members seemed to be very sharp and all seemed to get along very well. I was asked specific questions in a number of one-on-one interviews about PL/SQL syntax, using PL/SQL collections, using JDBC in a Java program to iterate through a result set, various considerations when tuning a SQL database, how indexes affect execution plans of SQL, why indexing is important and how B+-tree indexes work.

Interview Question – How does a B+ tree index work?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I thought the set of responsibilities assigned to this position was a bit more limited than I was looking for. Also, many of the technologies that were being employed were Oracle-specific and did not really excite me. Some examples are Oracle ADF and BC4J.

Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oracle in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was already an Oracle employee in Brazil and applied for jobs in different product development teams at Oracle HQ through internal iRecruitment (which is also available externally at http://irecruitment.oracle.com). Got contacted for some of those applications but my case required L1 visa sponsorship so not every 1st contact was fruitful. But for this particular one, there was green light for international transfers and I went through the interview phase which basically consisted of 4 formal phone interviews, with 4 different interviewers: 2 other software engineers, 1 product manager, and 1 director. Only the 2 engineers made very technical interviews, basically focused on Java and logic, that lasted for about 1 hour each and had a medium-high difficulty level. The other 2 interviews were more about to know my professional experience and objectives and also to let me know more about the job. After that, I got the positive feedback in about a week and then, in my case, the whole approval process for my job offer took more than a month and then, finally, I could start the real transfer process, which took a couple more months and now I'm here and quite happy so far.

Interview Question – Considering a 2-dimension matrix that can only be traversed by 1 adjacent position at a time and never diagonally. Create an algorithm to traverse that matrix from its upper-left corner to its lower-right corner using the shorter possible path in the most efficient way.   View Answers (5)

Negotiation Details – In my case, I had to negotiate 2 things: my career level and salary and my relocation package.
My level in Oracle Brazil was 1 lower than the level asked in the job position and because of the fact I was being transferred they wanted to keep my level which meant a lower salary. I was able to negotiate and come at the right level with a salary within my acceptable range. As for the relocation, we had basically 2 options. The first was a total budget of about 15K USD that would be administered by a third-party contracted by Oracle. The second was a lump-sum of 7.5K USD that I'd receive to cover my own expenses. I was going with the 1st but after I saw the budgets for moving expenses from that third-party company, I decided to go with the 2nd option and in my case it was enough.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Oracle

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees and interview candidates.