Oracle Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

43 interviews

3.4

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oracle.

The hiring process was smooth, 1 phone interview with hiring manager, followed by three phonic interview with multiple people across the globe and then on-site interview. Most of the interview was focused around my resume.

Other Interview Reviews for Oracle

Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood Shores, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Oracle in April 2014.

I scheduled a phone interview shortly after applying online. The interview consisted of questions regarding previous experience, interests, and my availability for an on-site interview at Oracle HQ.

At the on-site interview, I met with the hiring manager and four principal engineers. In each interview, I was asked about previous experience and/or provided challenges. The challenges were standard white board coding problems. Overall, I found the communication skills of the interviewers to be below par. The manager being the worst and the carried over to the post-interview process.

After the on-site interview, I received no further communication from the hiring manager. After two weeks, I reached out to ask about expense reimbursement and whether I was still being considered for the position. The manager seemed put off by the question and responded with a curt email that directed me to a FAQ document. That document, mind you, states that you should reach out to the hiring manager for questions regarding expense reimbursement. Once I explained that to the manager, he had me email him the receipts. Note, however, he never address the other question regarding consideration for the position. That's fine, I thought. I'll ask again later.

Four weeks pass with no communication from the hiring manager and no expense reimbursement. I email the manager asking for an update on the reimbursement and the position. Finally, I learn that I am no longer being considered for the position. Now, one could assume that from the lack of contact. However, I feel it was disrespectful to say nothing after having me come out to Oracle HQ and spend a day with the team.

Regarding reimbursement, he didn't have any answers. I asked for a contact within Oracle HR for his team and he all but refused to provide one. After getting the run around via several correspondences, I called Oracle's main number and was transferred to the HR hotline. After a few minutes of waiting, the system put me into voice mail. I left my contact information and a brief explanation of the problem with reimbursement and the manager. I am now waiting for a response.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions stood out as particularly difficult. Unfortunately, what I remember is the communications problems, not the content of the interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Redwood, OR

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Oracle in April 2014.

The response from the company was super fast. I was contacted the next day after submitting the resume to set up a phone interview time. The interview lasted about 1 hour with three coding questions. The interviewer was very professional and he tried to discover my best potential.

Interview Questions
    • All three coding questions were about software design patterns. The most difficult one was to design a software of calculating the total cost of a pizza order based on the given possible pizza sizes and toppings.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oracle in April 2014.

Took 2 weeks +. first had a phone screen with the Senior Project Manager. IT was strait fwd and std java questions. Called for inperson interview. Lasted for 4.5 hrs. Meet more than 7 people of the team. Most of them went well except one lady. she seemed to be rude and interrupted almost every time. Very annoying.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all java related:
      1) static in java
      6) collection related questions. Problem related to hashmap
      7) sql queries on outer join and inner join
      8) rest web service problem
      9) tic tac toe problem
      thats most of them i remember.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oracle in February 2012.

Applied online and got a call two weeks later. Basically going through my work experience and was told I will be contacted shortly. A week later HR arranged for in person interview that lasted 3 hours. Mostly technical questions. Abstract vs interface etc.

Got what I wanted

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Oracle in November 2013.

I submitted my resume at the University Career Fair in September 2013, and got contacted within a week. Scheduled an onsite interview without any phone screens. I was interviewed by 6 groups on both the Redwood city and the Santa Clara campuses. After the interviews the HR asked me to rank the groups according to my preferences.
    I got the feedback within 48 hours, and I got in the group that I was most interested in.

Interview Questions
    The offer was very competitive. I didn't negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I was acquired through an acquisition. No process involved.

Interview Questions
    • Unsure of fate as the new company was taking over. In the end it was smooth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I interviewed through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Oracle in August 2013.

This was the most efficient interview process I've ever seen.

The HR phone screen was a standard 45 minute conversation with the recruiter. They made the decision to move forward within just a few hours.

The technical phone screen was with the Senior Engineer, hiring Manager and Manager's boss. Each had their own technical questions - the Senior engineer asked challenging technical questions about the Java language, the manager asked about schedules, project decisions, etc, and the Manager's boss asked about interpersonal skills and experiences. It was gruelling and I thought I had failed. They made the decision to move forward within 1 hour.

The on-site interview was most impressive: The hiring manager brought his entire team into a conference room and asked "Tell us about yourself". That allowed everyone to hear about me and we didn't need to go over my experience 6 times. Then all except 2 engineers left and they asked hard Java questions for a while, and then 2 others relieved them and asked more hard technical questions. Then the hiring manager came back and asked if I had any questions for him and then it was all over. Only 2 hours and they had a pretty good sense of what I could do. The downside was that I didn't get as much of a chance to learn about them as I would have liked. The best part? They made their decision and contacted me with an offer within two hours.

Interview Questions
    • Here's an obscure piece of code. What will be printed at line 27? (actually, I got this question several times, but thankfully they didn't use messed-up variable names). They also asked about infrequently used language features: "Transient", "Volatile", "Finalize", etc.   View Answer
    They offered me a lower, but competitive salary, so I decided not to try to improve that. I did request more vacation time (which they were able to accomodate) and I also asked that they more their offices closer to my house :-) (they declined, but did agree that I could work from home sometimes).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Oracle in October 2009.

There was a phone screen followed by three rounds of personal interviews. Expect a lengthy process, it took about one month before I got offer in my hand.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to write code on the board, they give you few puzzles to slove.   Answer Question
    They offer low salary at first, I had to bargain to get more salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Oracle in February 2013.

Initial phone screening. then 6 rounds of interview at onsite. after 3 weeks got a call from senior director regarding the offer negotiation.

Interview Questions
    • You have 10 boxes of balls (each ball weighing exactly10 gm) with one box with defective balls (each one of the defective balls weigh 9 gm). You are given an electronic weighing machine and only one chance at it. How will find out which box has the defective balls?   View Answer

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!