Orange County (California)

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.6

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Orange County (California).

First round interview was a three person panel asking seven predefined questions. It was pretty basic stuff if you've worked in IT. There was one question on VM and one on project management.

Interview Questions
    • Describe some project management methodologies you've used.   Answer Question

Water Quality Staff-Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Orange County (California).

The hiring and interview process for this department was the most bizarre I've experienced. The description of the position was very ambiguous and confusing, the times to arrive/leave the workplace were never fully understand despite asking over and over. Communication within this department was tough to work with and downright awkward. Asking questions didn't necessarily mean you'd get an answer. I was very put off by this but took the position thinking I may have had an odd interviewer. I had to be an intern for 3months before the paid position and I was never assigned a supervisor. I worked there for 5 months following the internship and it was a daily struggle to understand my role and the role of others in the office. I wouldn't recommend this department to anyone who needs direction or can't work completely alone.

Interview Questions
    • All questions I was asked during the interview process weren't particularly hard, however, the interviewers read off a page of questions and let me "choose" the order in which I'd answer. Very ill-structured and overwhelming, especially for a post-college grad. The interview left me terrified and I was very surprised I got the position.   Answer Question
    No part of the job was negotiable, although the interviewer made it sound that way. My advise to others interviewing might be to push what you need from them, or you won't have any flexibility.

Accounting Tech Interview

Difficult to get interview

Systems Programmer/Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Orange County (California).

Summary: Employment and contracts are awarded before they're officially posted.

Worked here as a contractor and the responsible manager was pleased with my work and offered to open up a permanent position. However, other members of recruitment panel favored a person with a military background, but with no professional software development experience. I was put in charge of training him. The hiring manager failed his probation because the candidate had difficulty with English. Meanwhile, one of the same interview panelists offered the vacated job to another contractor, who happened to be a close friend of mine, even though the position wasn't even posted. My friend turned their offer down and the position was offered to me. While in that position, having responsibility for selecting vendors/contractors, I got even more confirmation that employees and vendors are selected before jobs or contracts are posted.

Interview process: (1) know someone (2) Don't be a minority.

Interview Questions
    • Summary: Contrived

The questions are often extremely specific to the area of responsibility, so the only way you could possibly qualify, is if you already do the work.

Answer Question
    No negotation phase.

ES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in None (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in None (Italy)

I applied online – interviewed at Orange County (California) in May 2012.

Normal there not much to expound on regarding the interview, It was normal for those whose worked in there life. You arrive dressed professional, articulate your experience and what you bring to the company, you answer the questions honestly and give eye contact, thank your interviewers and leave.

Engineering - Inspections Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Orange County (California) in September 2010.

Initial communications began online with the recruiter one week after my qualifications were processed. She scheduled an exam date which was two weeks later. Two weeks after completion of the exam, I was emailed stating that I passed the exam and was scheduled for my first interview about. Two weeks after my first interview I was emailed stating that I would have one more selection interview with my potential boss. Three weeks later I was given a conditional job offer meaning I had to pass a physical exam, drug test, and background check. That part was the fastest and only took about one week. At the start of my job I had to go to new employee orientation for the county, the department I was in, and the section I was assigned to. My only advice is to study for any tests you are given and just be PATIENT because there may be a lot of applicants going after one open position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your knowledge of concrete, asphalt, and soil in regards to public works construction.   View Answer
    No negotiations, the pay grade was set in stone.