Orbital Sciences

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Operations Intern Interview

Business Operations Intern
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call about a week later. I set up an interview within three days. I interviewed with 3 people who would be my potential managers. I was alone with the first interviewer for about 20 minutes, I was alone with the second interviewer for about 50 minutes, and the third interviewer joined in for an additional 25. They called me six days later to offer the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think the U.S. stands internationally?   Answer Question
  • How might you need to interact differently with engineers than business people?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a week later was called to schedule an interview. Due to time conflicts I was not able to interview in person however they allowed me to do interview over the phone. Two people conducted the phone interview. There was a very quick turnaround so I only did one interview.

Interview Question – If we were to ask one of your professors/former employers about your strengths and weaknesses, what would they say?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer
Chandler, AZ

Interviewed at Orbital Sciences

Interview Details – I interviewed at the Chandler AZ place. I spoke with a variety of groups. First an HR representative (went over benefits package), then Dave Weddle (Engineering Manager). Then I lost track of who I met, because there were so many, and the email I got only listed two names.

I got a tour of the facilities, and spoke with some people about systems and some people about components, then with another manager. They all asked about my resume, and questions about what kind of job I wanted (how I wanted to specialize). That was tricky for me, because as a soon-to-be college grad, I don't have the experience to have picked a specialty. Several asked me how I deal with conflict. They were the most interested by the projects I listed on my resume (they were all class projects, since I have no job experience).

A couple times, I was shown a circuit diagram and asked to talk about it. I pointed out the components whose symbols I recognized. They highlighted certain areas and asked me to discuss them. Some I got and some I didn't, but in all cases I tried to articulate my thought process aloud.

The process took four hours, although I'd expected it to be three. I was told that I could expect to hear from HR within a couple weeks.

Interview Questions

Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – Applied for an internship during college. Phone interview with manager was short. Asked background questions and courses taken in college

Interview Question – None. Was asked to expand on certain parts of conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not try to negotiate, but certain interns got fringe perks for interning(ie, moving costs covered)

Principal Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Principal Manufacturing Engineer
Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Director of Manufacturing Operations, Director of Manufacturing and the Manager of Engineering.

Interview Question – Do you think it will be difficult to transition from commercial manufacturing standards to NASA standards?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They made me an offer but I refused. They then made a counter offer which I accepted.

Configuration Management Data Analyst Interview

Configuration Management Data Analyst
Dulles, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – HR contacted me via telephone and scheduled the interview. I was sent an email containing a job application to complete prior to the interview. The time I requested was was not a problem for the hiring manager. The interview time was only 1.5 hours. The hiring manager and I had prior co-workers in common. With my background in mechanical design and drafting made it easy for us to have a discussion that flowed with no excess question on my behalf.

Interview Question – Would I have a problem with the commute   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was needed.

Senior Program Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Program Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – Typical interview process, phone interview and then in person interview with hiring manager, peer and Director

Interview Question – Direct questions about VBA coding   Answer Question

Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – Informal, met hiring manager for dinner

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences in February 2012.

Interview Details – I actually had a few phone interviews with the company. A lot of the interview was going over my resume and asking about various highlights of it. Nothing too technical in the interview, just mostly trying to illustrate that I'm competent as a potential hire.

Everyone I spoke with was super friendly and more than willing to answer all of my questions. The interview process was definitely pleasant and I eventually got my internship

Interview Question – Explain the troubleshooting process that you typically go through.   Answer Question

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interview Details – Email scheduled for phone interview, phone interview, and then on-site interview at HQ. My resume was talked the entire time, there were questions about what I'd like to do. I believe I was interview for a few positions while I was there, I knew when I walked out at the end of the day that I'd receive an offer.

Interview Question – I didn't think the questions were all that difficult - preparation to talk about in significant detail about everything on my resume was difficult, if anything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate accommodations for relocation, moving, and other issues with leaving my previous employer - they worked very well with me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Orbital Sciences

Worked for Orbital Sciences? Contribute to the Community!