Orbital Sciences Interview Questions

2.8

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Orbital Sciences in May 2012.

The interview process and questions were well formulated. I thought the actual hiring process took too long. However, this may have been possibly due to the added on background check agency and the length of time taken by them to complete the check.

I negotiated but to no avail.

Business Operations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

I applied online and got a call about a week later. I set up an interview within three days. I interviewed with 3 people who would be my potential managers. I was alone with the first interviewer for about 20 minutes, I was alone with the second interviewer for about 50 minutes, and the third interviewer joined in for an additional 25. They called me six days later to offer the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think the U.S. stands internationally?   Answer Question
    • How might you need to interact differently with engineers than business people?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

I applied online and about a week later was called to schedule an interview. Due to time conflicts I was not able to interview in person however they allowed me to do interview over the phone. Two people conducted the phone interview. There was a very quick turnaround so I only did one interview.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to ask one of your professors/former employers about your strengths and weaknesses, what would they say?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I interviewed at the Chandler AZ place. I spoke with a variety of groups. First an HR representative (went over benefits package), then Dave Weddle (Engineering Manager). Then I lost track of who I met, because there were so many, and the email I got only listed two names.

I got a tour of the facilities, and spoke with some people about systems and some people about components, then with another manager. They all asked about my resume, and questions about what kind of job I wanted (how I wanted to specialize). That was tricky for me, because as a soon-to-be college grad, I don't have the experience to have picked a specialty. Several asked me how I deal with conflict. They were the most interested by the projects I listed on my resume (they were all class projects, since I have no job experience).

A couple times, I was shown a circuit diagram and asked to talk about it. I pointed out the components whose symbols I recognized. They highlighted certain areas and asked me to discuss them. Some I got and some I didn't, but in all cases I tried to articulate my thought process aloud.

The process took four hours, although I'd expected it to be three. I was told that I could expect to hear from HR within a couple weeks.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Applied for an internship during college. Phone interview with manager was short. Asked background questions and courses taken in college

Interview Questions
    • None. Was asked to expand on certain parts of conversation.   Answer Question
    Did not try to negotiate, but certain interns got fringe perks for interning(ie, moving costs covered)

Principal Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Interviewed with the Director of Manufacturing Operations, Director of Manufacturing and the Manager of Engineering.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think it will be difficult to transition from commercial manufacturing standards to NASA standards?   View Answer
    They made me an offer but I refused. They then made a counter offer which I accepted.

Configuration Management Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

HR contacted me via telephone and scheduled the interview. I was sent an email containing a job application to complete prior to the interview. The time I requested was was not a problem for the hiring manager. The interview time was only 1.5 hours. The hiring manager and I had prior co-workers in common. With my background in mechanical design and drafting made it easy for us to have a discussion that flowed with no excess question on my behalf.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was needed.

Senior Program Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Typical interview process, phone interview and then in person interview with hiring manager, peer and Director

Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences.

Informal, met hiring manager for dinner

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Orbital Sciences in February 2012.

I actually had a few phone interviews with the company. A lot of the interview was going over my resume and asking about various highlights of it. Nothing too technical in the interview, just mostly trying to illustrate that I'm competent as a potential hire.

Everyone I spoke with was super friendly and more than willing to answer all of my questions. The interview process was definitely pleasant and I eventually got my internship

Interview Questions
    • Explain the troubleshooting process that you typically go through.   Answer Question

Worked for Orbital Sciences? Contribute to the Community!