Orbitz Worldwide

Updated Oct 15, 2014

74 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in July 2014.

The hiring and interview process was really fast. The recruiter picked my profile from Linkedin and scheduled everything real quick. The entire process took just three weeks, would have been a lot quicker if I wouldn't have asked time for preparation.

First I had a phone screen with a Senior Software Engineer. Covered questions from Java Collections Framework ( HashSet implementation, HashMaps, Difference between List and Arrays, Vector and ArrayList). Asked me about design patterns (Factory design pattern and implementation). A very easy program to solve.

second round was a code challenge, which had to be completed over the weekend. Focus on clean code and good test coverage.

The final round was an onsite interview. One hour technical, questions on Java Collections again, Design Patterns (Singleton pattern code) and Data Structure( Implementing Queue using Stack).

One hour behavioral interview to assess how we will fit well into the team.

After the behavioral session, had sessions with the hiring managers.

Got confirmation about the offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Dug deep into implementation of HashSet, managed to answer most of it but.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in July 2014.

I applied online. I was sent a rejection email a few weeks later, but a few weeks after that a recruiter contacted me about setting up a phone interview. This interview was really basic and lasted about 30 minutes. None of the questions were unexpected. I received an email the following day about setting up a more intensive interview where I would give a 45 min. presentation and meet with the hiring manager and potential coworkers afterward. The whole interview took about 3.5 hours. This email actually went to my spam folder, so I saw it a few days after it was sent. I guess this is a recurring problem, because the recruiter said she figured that was why I didn't respond right away.

I spent longer than I thought I would preparing for the presentation, but I thought it went well and got positive feedback about it from one of the people I met with afterwards. I felt like I connected with everyone really well, except the hiring manager. She seemed like she was looking for someone with a lot more years of experience than me, so I really don't think I had a real shot at getting the job.

Overall, everyone was really nice and professional. I don't remember being asked any questions I wasn't prepared for. In fact, the interviews were more like conversations about each person's role at the company, their work style, etc., and I had plenty of time to ask them questions too.

*Definitely come with questions because you meet with about three people after your presentation, and they all do different things at Orbitz and your roles work together. Everyone asked me if I had questions for them, and I'm glad I did.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in July 2014.

In the beginning, the recruiter setup a phone interview by email. I wait the phone interview for 2 hours and it didn't come. So i call her to setup another phone interview and she apologize for the buzy work. The other phone interview went well but I still didn't got the change to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • all questions are not difficult. Just like why you choose this position and why you choose this major, how can you match the background with the position.   Answer Question

Junior Financial Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied for this position online at Orbitz career website on April 22, 2014. I was contacted via email by a recruiter to set up a screening call on June 3, 2014. The screening call with the recruiter took place on June 4, 2014. It was your basic screening call to talk more about the position and my background. A phone interview with the hiring manager was then set up by the recruiter for June 17, 2014. This conversation lasted about 30 minutes. We talked more in depth about the position and my background. He told me he had everything he needed and the recruiter would be in contact with me. A week later, the recruiter contacted me and told me they would like to bring me in for an in-person interview once I got to Chicago. I was in Tennessee at this point about to get married and make the move to Chicago afterwards. Once I arrived in Chicago, I contacted the recruiter and let him know I was settled in and ready for the interview. I had an in-person interview at Orbitz Headquarters on July 15, 2014. I was scheduled to meet with 3 different groups of people for 30 minutes at a time. When I arrived, I was greeted by the recruiter who I had been in contact with. he was extremely nice and gave me a quick tour of the office. He made me feel welcome and relax. He told me how the interviews would go and wished me luck. The first interview was with 1 man, the second with a man and woman, and the third was with the hiring manager (the one I had the phone interview with). They were all very nice and welcoming and made me feel at ease. All the interviewers asked me about my background and told me about the position, company, and the groups I would be working with. I felt that the interviews went well. I contacted the recruiter a couple days later to forward thank you notes for me. He told me that the interviewers would make a decision and give him feedback soon. A week or so later, the recruiter contacted me via phone and let me know they had decided to go with someone with a background that more closely related the job description. The recruiter was very nice and gave me good constructive feedback.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. They mainly wanted to know my background and more about the job duties I had previously performed.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide.

The interview started with a standard phone interview. Then I met with four team members individually. Each asked their own questions including problem solving questions based on reports used during day to day activities of the position. Everyone one was welcoming and asked great questions. After the interview I was asked to complete an online personality test. This was the hardest personality test I have taken as it included problem solving questions. Great communication throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The most unique parts of the interview were the personality test and problem solving questions during the interview. There is not really way to prepare.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in June 2014.

The interviewing overall was positive! My recruiter was energetic and my Skype interviews were productive. There was a delay though after the interview waiting for results! They went with a internal candidate.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

Initial step involved a phone screen / resume review with Talent Acquisition. Follow up phone conversation occurred about a week later at which point HR informed me that I was not a good fit for the role I had applied for but was a great match for another opening. Information was exchanged and a subsequent phone interview was set up with the hiring manager. After this conversation, I was invited in for approx 4 hrs. of interview with various individuals on the team. Finally, I was asked to come back in and speak with the group SVP. Approximately 1 week lapsed between each round of communication/follow up with another week in between interviews. Total length of hiring process was about 2 months

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

The interview started of with phone screening and had multiple rounds. It was more of a behavioral oriented than technical. There were a few technical questions as per the job requirements. The interview was designed to test you on your adaptability and spontaneity. A lot of focus was put on the prior experience and how would that experience be helpful in the job.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of a work environment do you prefer? This was a trick question based on my previous answers.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

Got a mail from recruiter saying he and his hiring manager interested in my profile and scheduled a time. Recruiter called on time, but looked like drunk. Most part he spent comparing orbitz with Amazon and then got into my current salary. He said he will get back in two days for a technical interview, but never did!...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing - Recruiter didn't know about the job and only thing he wanted was expected salary   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

I had two phone interviews, the first with the HR rep and the second with the hiring manager the position reports to. After the initial phone screening, the HR person sets up a phone call with the hiring manager. We scheduled a 30 minute conversation and the hiring manager called at the expected date and time. The impression I received was that the call went well as after 20 minutes, the hiring manager said she wanted to bring me in for an in person interview and she would talk to HR early the following week to set it up.

Monday, no word. Tuesday, no word. Wednesday, no word. Finally on Thursday I reached out to the original HR contact to see whether there had been a decision - although a decision to move me forward had been conveyed to me, I wasn't sure if HR was aware. HR said they would check with the hiring manager and get back to me. I normally give the hiring team time to respond but when a decision is verbally given to me and there isn't prompt turnaround, that sets off a red flag for me.

Eventually the HR contact calls me on Friday and leaves a voicemail. She states that the hiring manager had decided to move forward with another candidate. Ultimately that is fine, but my ask is to be up front with me. If you as the hiring manager might potentially move forward with someone else, feel free to say you will get back to me. But do not tell me that you want to bring me in and then go back on your word a week later. That's just bad recruiting etiquette.

While this is only representative of one HR contact and one hiring manager, it does sour my impression of Orbitz such that I would be hesitant to apply in the future, especially if I'm dealing with these two individuals.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are typical of a phone screen: share your background and talk me through your resume. There weren't really any difficult questions but if I had to pick one, it would be "tell me about a time you led a team" where the candidate would have to highlight some significant leadership position.   Answer Question