Orbitz Worldwide

Orbitz Worldwide Interview Questions

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide.

Company's Culture Night->School's job fair->Code Test->Onsite
    Before the onsite, there will be a big bowling game night. In the interviewing day, there will be special guests to give you a speech, There will be two parts of interview, one is tech test, another is behavior test.

Data Analyst Interview

I had a phone interview with HR and was moved along to a hiring manager next in the retail analytics department after finding about the work I have done and also my academic projects.

Interview Questions
    • I thought the manager was not much interested in taking the interview. She started by saying it would take only a few minutes and to my suprise it was for only 4 minutes which included mostly introduction. Still, I tried relating the projects I have done with the job responisibilities for an extra ten minutes and all I got was a good and a thanks for taking the time out for the interview.
      I felt it was very unfair as I had all the minimum requirements

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in November 2014.

Was standing in line for another company at our university career fair when a couple of Orbitz recruiters walked through the line asking for resumes. Having extra copies on hand, I gave the recruiter one (never decline opportunities when you're looking for one!). A few weeks later, I was granted an on-campus interview. On-campus interview consisted of a few behavioral questions and 3 standard technical coding questions that tested you on CS fundamentals (data structures and algorithms) and was conducted by a product manager and a software engineer. A week later, I was sent an e-mail for a coding assessment. The coding assessment tested you on CS fundamentals, but focused on graph searching. Orbitz gave 2 days on the coding assessment. About a week later, I was invited for an on-site interview. From the information I received, Orbitz pays for travel costs and hotel accommodations, but candidates are required to arrange for their own travel. However, I already had a job offer from a company I liked better and had a more competitive compensation package (based on what I know from Glassdoor's posted averages for Orbitz), so I declined the on-site interview request.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected behavioral: "If you were on Mars, what would be 3 items you would want to have and why?" (This was unexpected but fun!)

The technical questions weren't particularly challenging; you just had to have a good handle on the fundamentals.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in November 2014.

1. Give the employer my resume on campus job fair
    2. On campus interview two weeks later on Tuesday (behavior and coding)
    3. Coding test the same week on weekends
    4. Onsite interview two weeks later on Friday (coding and behavior)
    5. Received offer the same day of onsite interview
    Overall, those people are really nice, they will give you some hints if you get stuck, behavior questions are really open, you should express yourself and show you your passion

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult, but very good question.
      On campus interview: rotation direction when in north pole, transcript a decimal number to binary number, test if a height-balanced BST, reconstruct to be a high-balanced BST, difficulty encountered
      Coding test: airports questions, basically graph problems, Dijkstra's algorithm and DFS
      Onsite interview: find angle difference of a time, triangle overlap, code optimization, implement hashtable insert and retrival, your goal, most stressed time, your favorite language, your project

Answer Question

Actually, I have not decided yet.

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide.

Phone interviews, In person interviews - behavior interview with 2 managers and technical interview from 2 technical staff. HR interview finally. After all interviews are done, sometimes decisions are giving within the same hour or end of the day same day. Their is also a coding written tests, which you are write in any language of your preference, syntax is not important, the coding style and logic is given more weightage.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were around my previous work and projects. Lot of white boarding and data structures question. Some questions also around basic Java understanding as I was almost the entry level engineer interview at the time.   Answer Question

Senior Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide.

Applied over a weekend, got an email from HR the following Tuesday, set up a call for that day. The next day, they contacted me to set up an interview with the hiring manager for the next week. Met with the manager, had a great conversation, and got asked to come in for face-to-face. Met first with HR, then the hiring manager I had already spoken to, then a VP, then two product managers. One of the people (a GM) was not available that day, so talked to her the next day over the phone. Got the offer the next week. Everyone was very friendly, clearly smart.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward stuff - when was a time you had to learn something from the inside out to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in October 2014.

I submitted my resume to Orbitz during campus job fair, and was scheduled a campus interview two weeks later. The interview is half behavioral and half technical. The behavioral questions are very general ones like what's the most difficult time in your life and how you solve it. What if you have conflict with your team member. The technical questions are not difficult, including basic concept about binary search tree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted me about several openings in Dallas area. Had phone conversation with him regarding why am i looking out for job and what is the role about.

This was followed by technical phone conversation with Sr Engineer. Asked questions like - what is hibernate, soap envelope, some spring questions, agile methodology etc. These were really easy questions.

After this, a coding challenge -hotel sort by distance, price and one more parameter. Time - 2 days.
    I personally don't like questions like these. you never know what you will be rated on. They only mentioned the code should be production ready! (Yeah i am not spending my weekend to write production ready code) -- best part they don't define what is production ready.

Here is problem with this company, they did not clearly define what roles they are filling up. I got a call from recruiter again and was given onsite interview opportunity for software dev 2 position. I declined for onsite interview since it was 1 position lower than my title. but recruiter mentioned that they will convert it to sr dev position if interviews go well.

Onsite interview,
    1 white board challenge - reverse a string!!
    few questions here and there about - chef (lol - they don't use chef but they asked me questions on this), design patterns (thread pool, singleton, observer), agile methodology etc..

1 pair programming ex - get/post requests using spring.

If any orbits interviewers are reading this --
    None of the interviewers seemed any interested in the final round. I was hoping for questions on JMM (Heap, GC, Threads, Locking), Weak References, ThreadLocal, ExecutorService and Performance Management etc.. but they asked questions that I myself would ask to a college grad!!! lol ;)

Got a call same day from recruiter. he notified me that team was quite positive and asked me about my interview experience and would i be willing to consider Soft Dev 2 role. My response, for obvious reasons, was not in the favor. He tried to explain that if I do really well in 2 review sessions (1 year) I will be promoted to Sr soft eng position.

Few weeks later I was notified that they are pursuing with other candidates lol ;). I was not hoping for that email after i had responded on call.

A total waste of time in my opinion. I would have rejected the offer if they had offered me anything!

Full-Time Software Engineer (Entry Level) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in September 2014.

Had an on-campus interview with the recruiters. It was a 45 minute interview with the first 5-10 minutes about resume and behavioral things. Then we moved on to a very short analytical/brain-teaser problem. Next, there was a coding problem that I had to solve on the board. Then there was another coding problem given on a piece of paper where I just had to explain how I would code. Then there was about 5-10 minutes of asking them questions.
    Overall I had a bad experience. There were two recruiters. One who was relatively nice and another who wasn't. I was very nervous, blanked out and was not able to solve the first easy coding problem. After that the "unprofessional" recruiter kept blatantly glancing at the clock every few minutes. By the end of it he just wanted to shoo me away. I know I did poorly in showing my skills, but he just came off as very rude.

Interview Questions
    • Caught me a little bit off guard. The first question was: Looking at the globe from the North Axis what direction does the globe spin? How did you come to this conclusion?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in September 2014.

Process was open-ended in that I was applying to work at Orbitz, not a specific position. I liked this approach as I was in effect being considered for ALL open positions, not just one. I was contacted by a recruiter via online social network, had a conversation about the overall process. I then did a technical phone screen which lasted 30-45 minutes. After I was informed that I passed, I was given an at-home over-the-weekend programming assignment (given Friday morning, due Sunday night) that took 6-8 hours. I was told to expect feedback by Wednesday, but I got a call Monday afternoon inviting me to the office for a morning or afternoon session. 1 hour behavioral/cultural interview, 1 hour technical interview, then a break where they decided which positions I might be a fit in. Then had 2 15 minute interviews with pairs of managers that had open reqs for their teams. Had an offer within 2-3 days of the in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Required to do an at-home over-the-weekend programming assignment. Took 6-8 hours to complete and required writing documentation and unit tests.   Answer Question