Orbitz Worldwide

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in June 2014.

The interviewing overall was positive! My recruiter was energetic and my Skype interviews were productive. There was a delay though after the interview waiting for results! They went with a internal candidate.

Corporate Travel Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in June 2014.

Referals are big here. I interviewed over the phone first with someone from HR that took about 30 minutes outlining past experiences and why I want to work at Orbitz. After getting through the phone interview, I came to the Chicago office and interviewed with 4 different sales people whom are now on my team. One of the interviews was over the phone with a main executive in the Chicago office.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot about overcoming objections and how you would answer when someone says no.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in June 2014.

Round 1: HR Phone Screen - Pretty straightforward. Discussed the position, gave the benefits, asked for my interests and explained the rest of the process.

Round 2: Tech Phone Screen - Asked a lot of basic Java questions and general technical/software questions. Nothing too complex and no coding. The interviewer were just trying to get a sense of your background and basic CS knowledge. No brain teasers apart from a sorting question.

Round 3: Weekend coding assignment - You will get a problem in email and have the whole weekend to work on it. Friday-Sunday. Took me about 8 hours to do it end-to-end including Junit test cases for the same. Again, nothing too complex you have been working with Java and JSONs for a while.

Round 4: On Site - Very well organized. I was given the agenda for the day right away. Started out with a tech round where I was asked to explain my current project in detail and white board a piece of code. Then obviously follow up questions on the code that I came up with.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to figure which piece of data can be eliminated from a hotel listing. Example: photo, price, amenities, distance from airport etc.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

Initial step involved a phone screen / resume review with Talent Acquisition. Follow up phone conversation occurred about a week later at which point HR informed me that I was not a good fit for the role I had applied for but was a great match for another opening. Information was exchanged and a subsequent phone interview was set up with the hiring manager. After this conversation, I was invited in for approx 4 hrs. of interview with various individuals on the team. Finally, I was asked to come back in and speak with the group SVP. Approximately 1 week lapsed between each round of communication/follow up with another week in between interviews. Total length of hiring process was about 2 months

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

The interview started of with phone screening and had multiple rounds. It was more of a behavioral oriented than technical. There were a few technical questions as per the job requirements. The interview was designed to test you on your adaptability and spontaneity. A lot of focus was put on the prior experience and how would that experience be helpful in the job.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of a work environment do you prefer? This was a trick question based on my previous answers.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

Got a mail from recruiter saying he and his hiring manager interested in my profile and scheduled a time. Recruiter called on time, but looked like drunk. Most part he spent comparing orbitz with Amazon and then got into my current salary. He said he will get back in two days for a technical interview, but never did!...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing - Recruiter didn't know about the job and only thing he wanted was expected salary   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

interviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

HR was Very welcoming and professional.
    The people who took the interview completely lacked originality. Instead of focusing on technical question they focused on behavioral questions and ask template questions like why do you wanna work for orbitz.
    They were quite disorganized. If they give you an opportunity to ask questions, they expect you to ask a lot of different questions. They cant stand the fact that you ask same question for 10 different people who interviewed you.
    Even technical questions were so disorganized. A single scenario question that had too many low level details and too many high level details that you can talk about hours and still wont finish.
    I have taken 100 of interviews myself and successfully built big technical teams with awesome and talented people who produced results , but never asked them question that are so out dated and bear no resemblance to the job description.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in May 2014.

I had two phone interviews, the first with the HR rep and the second with the hiring manager the position reports to. After the initial phone screening, the HR person sets up a phone call with the hiring manager. We scheduled a 30 minute conversation and the hiring manager called at the expected date and time. The impression I received was that the call went well as after 20 minutes, the hiring manager said she wanted to bring me in for an in person interview and she would talk to HR early the following week to set it up.

Monday, no word. Tuesday, no word. Wednesday, no word. Finally on Thursday I reached out to the original HR contact to see whether there had been a decision - although a decision to move me forward had been conveyed to me, I wasn't sure if HR was aware. HR said they would check with the hiring manager and get back to me. I normally give the hiring team time to respond but when a decision is verbally given to me and there isn't prompt turnaround, that sets off a red flag for me.

Eventually the HR contact calls me on Friday and leaves a voicemail. She states that the hiring manager had decided to move forward with another candidate. Ultimately that is fine, but my ask is to be up front with me. If you as the hiring manager might potentially move forward with someone else, feel free to say you will get back to me. But do not tell me that you want to bring me in and then go back on your word a week later. That's just bad recruiting etiquette.

While this is only representative of one HR contact and one hiring manager, it does sour my impression of Orbitz such that I would be hesitant to apply in the future, especially if I'm dealing with these two individuals.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are typical of a phone screen: share your background and talk me through your resume. There weren't really any difficult questions but if I had to pick one, it would be "tell me about a time you led a team" where the candidate would have to highlight some significant leadership position.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide.

It was 3 rounds,
    1.Telephonic/email conversation with Hiring Manager
    2. Onsite Interview with Hiring Manager, mostly questions related to my previous experience, and couple of questions on current technical issues in their team
    3. HR Interview, Offered

no Negotiations, they have a standard Pay scale offered for Graduate Students

Product Manager Interview

The interview itself wasn't so much hard as it was an endurance test, talking to 7 people in 5 hours, not counting personnel. A list of interviewers was provided in advance, which was good for preparation, but for various legitimate reasons, the actual lineup of interviewers only had 3 of the original 7. It threw me off my game plan, but that's my bad. Doing it again, I would not be as focused on researching the individuals in my preparations, knowing that could change by the time of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • No real brainteasers. A lot of behavioral-type questions.   Answer Question