Orbitz Worldwide

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide.

Phone interviews, In person interviews - behavior interview with 2 managers and technical interview from 2 technical staff. HR interview finally. After all interviews are done, sometimes decisions are giving within the same hour or end of the day same day. Their is also a coding written tests, which you are write in any language of your preference, syntax is not important, the coding style and logic is given more weightage.

Interview Questions
  • All the questions were around my previous work and projects. Lot of white boarding and data structures question. Some questions also around basic Java understanding as I was almost the entry level engineer interview at the time.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted me about several openings in Dallas area. Had phone conversation with him regarding why am i looking out for job and what is the role about.

This was followed by technical phone conversation with Sr Engineer. Asked questions like - what is hibernate, soap envelope, some spring questions, agile methodology etc. These were really easy questions.

After this, a coding challenge -hotel sort by distance, price and one more parameter. Time - 2 days.
    I personally don't like questions like these. you never know what you will be rated on. They only mentioned the code should be production ready! (Yeah i am not spending my weekend to write production ready code) -- best part they don't define what is production ready.

Here is problem with this company, they did not clearly define what roles they are filling up. I got a call from recruiter again and was given onsite interview opportunity for software dev 2 position. I declined for onsite interview since it was 1 position lower than my title. but recruiter mentioned that they will convert it to sr dev position if interviews go well.

Onsite interview,
    1 white board challenge - reverse a string!!
    few questions here and there about - chef (lol - they don't use chef but they asked me questions on this), design patterns (thread pool, singleton, observer), agile methodology etc..

1 pair programming ex - get/post requests using spring.

If any orbits interviewers are reading this --
    None of the interviewers seemed any interested in the final round. I was hoping for questions on JMM (Heap, GC, Threads, Locking), Weak References, ThreadLocal, ExecutorService and Performance Management etc.. but they asked questions that I myself would ask to a college grad!!! lol ;)

Got a call same day from recruiter. he notified me that team was quite positive and asked me about my interview experience and would i be willing to consider Soft Dev 2 role. My response, for obvious reasons, was not in the favor. He tried to explain that if I do really well in 2 review sessions (1 year) I will be promoted to Sr soft eng position.

Few weeks later I was notified that they are pursuing with other candidates lol ;). I was not hoping for that email after i had responded on call.

A total waste of time in my opinion. I would have rejected the offer if they had offered me anything!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in September 2014.

Process was open-ended in that I was applying to work at Orbitz, not a specific position. I liked this approach as I was in effect being considered for ALL open positions, not just one. I was contacted by a recruiter via online social network, had a conversation about the overall process. I then did a technical phone screen which lasted 30-45 minutes. After I was informed that I passed, I was given an at-home over-the-weekend programming assignment (given Friday morning, due Sunday night) that took 6-8 hours. I was told to expect feedback by Wednesday, but I got a call Monday afternoon inviting me to the office for a morning or afternoon session. 1 hour behavioral/cultural interview, 1 hour technical interview, then a break where they decided which positions I might be a fit in. Then had 2 15 minute interviews with pairs of managers that had open reqs for their teams. Had an offer within 2-3 days of the in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Required to do an at-home over-the-weekend programming assignment. Took 6-8 hours to complete and required writing documentation and unit tests.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in July 2014.

The hiring and interview process was really fast. The recruiter picked my profile from Linkedin and scheduled everything real quick. The entire process took just three weeks, would have been a lot quicker if I wouldn't have asked time for preparation.

First I had a phone screen with a Senior Software Engineer. Covered questions from Java Collections Framework ( HashSet implementation, HashMaps, Difference between List and Arrays, Vector and ArrayList). Asked me about design patterns (Factory design pattern and implementation). A very easy program to solve.

second round was a code challenge, which had to be completed over the weekend. Focus on clean code and good test coverage.

The final round was an onsite interview. One hour technical, questions on Java Collections again, Design Patterns (Singleton pattern code) and Data Structure( Implementing Queue using Stack).

One hour behavioral interview to assess how we will fit well into the team.

After the behavioral session, had sessions with the hiring managers.

Got confirmation about the offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Dug deep into implementation of HashSet, managed to answer most of it but.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in June 2014.

Round 1: HR Phone Screen - Pretty straightforward. Discussed the position, gave the benefits, asked for my interests and explained the rest of the process.

Round 2: Tech Phone Screen - Asked a lot of basic Java questions and general technical/software questions. Nothing too complex and no coding. The interviewer were just trying to get a sense of your background and basic CS knowledge. No brain teasers apart from a sorting question.

Round 3: Weekend coding assignment - You will get a problem in email and have the whole weekend to work on it. Friday-Sunday. Took me about 8 hours to do it end-to-end including Junit test cases for the same. Again, nothing too complex you have been working with Java and JSONs for a while.

Round 4: On Site - Very well organized. I was given the agenda for the day right away. Started out with a tech round where I was asked to explain my current project in detail and white board a piece of code. Then obviously follow up questions on the code that I came up with.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to figure which piece of data can be eliminated from a hotel listing. Example: photo, price, amenities, distance from airport etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in March 2014.

Extremely organized interview process. My recruited gave me very clear instructions and an agenda every time. I went through a technical phone screening, a coding assessment over the weekend and an on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Orbitz Worldwide in February 2010.

Started with HR type interview with very basic technical questions, then a at home coding test, then a technical phone screen, then a day of interviewing in person at the Chicago office. Every step was about a week apart and the offer came about 3 days after my last in person interview. Most of the technical questions were pretty easy if you had any amount of real Java experience