Orbixa

Relevance Date Difficulty

C++ Developer Interview

C++ Developer

Interviewed at Orbixa

Interview Details – Normally they will give any one an interview, if you send them your resume. So the process could take three weeks at least. Three on-site interviews, while there is no hard questions. The first interview is about a brainteaser and some behavior questions. While the second one is for C++ tech.

Interview Question – When to use template and when to use inheritance?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay is not very good.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Orbixa in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in a week after submitting my resume. I was interested as Orbixa is in the financial technology space. Two people interviewed me for about an hour: the technical director and a senior programmer. I was asked C++ centric questions and things about my past. All in all, quite simple.

When I asked about what problems they worked on and how they tackled them, I received vague responses and a lot of hand-waving from the tech director. The senior guy talked about ancient tech. I had the impression that it was a pretty lightweight company.

Interview Question – Design a restaurant reservation system in C++.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had the impression that company's systems were held together with spaghetti and tape.

Equities Trader Interview

Equities Trader

Interviewed at Orbixa

Interview Details – Interview Details – The interview wasn't very intense and I've included some of the questions below:

1- Tell me about yourself?
2- What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?
3- What does it mean to sell-short?
4- Name a few of your favourite stocks and why? [Note: talk about catalysts and technicals]
5- Why prop trading at Orbixa?

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineering

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Orbixa in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online long time ago, took more two weeks to get an interview notice via phone. In office interviewed by two interviewers. First answered pre-set questions about 12 totally, then took a skills test for about 40 mins.

Interview Question – Pls describe yourself with one sentence.   Answer Question

Equity Trader Interview

Equity Trader
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Orbixa in June 2011.

1- Tell me about yourself?
2- What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?
3- What does it mean to sell-short?
5- Why prop trading at Orbixa?

And a few other fit and technical analysis questions.

Interview Questions

Engineering

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Orbixa in December 2010.

Interview Details – It was not as bad as I expected from other postings, but reading these postings prepared me well and I did not have some high expectations.
The first part was a panel interview with two persons, some personal and basic technical questions.
The second part is short test for basic SQL and some additional basic technical questions.
For every candidate given about 10 minutes for in person interview and as much as you need for test part (all candidates write together in same room).
The agenda of the company that they are not filtering Resumes so there are lot candidates one after second, I think they should do basic filtering in order to prevent wasting of candidates and their time.
Some observation - the walls there painted in red and blue colors and frame of the doors in yellow - the gives some depressing atmosphere.

Some advice about the interview - if you are going there - just recall your knowledge about basic SQL statements.

Interview Question – What do yuo know about our companY?   Answer Question

QA Interview

QA
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Orbixa in December 2010.

Interview Details – Here a company with bad press but not a bad process
yes it 3 stages but they were explain upfront and you could leave if not for you.
If your new to Canada no Canadian experience but can do the Job then check this company out for Jobs
The process is to allow you to show YOU can do the Job.

Stage one
A quick panel interview 10 questions
Like what do you know of the company? Very standard interview questions
This is followed up with basic skills test it
First question they give you some details of a scenario then ask
What type of test plan would you create?
the second was write a test case for a scenario
3-15 were pick the right answer

The office
They knew I was coming, I didn't wait long for the interview
I was introduced to everyone and was also told I would know within a week if going to stage 2
Much better than waiting 2-3 weeks to hearing nothing at all.

NO it not going to be great resume, here is the Job, can you start Monday
It is going to be show us YOU can do the Job
So not the place if you can't real do the job

Overall
Here a company willing to give you a chance to show your stuff. Take it.

Interview Question – What do you know about us   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Orbixa in November 2010.

Interview Details – I looked up past comment on Glassdoor.com before attending 1st interview. Just as other posted, use this as a practice site as you can walk in knowing this and don’t have the pressure. I walked in with precisely that state of mind.

Received a phone call and was asked to go in for an interview the next morning. The person calling did not give his name.

Approached the reception desk, saw my resume on the desk (which also mean anyone interested in my Bio can read it). While waiting for my interview, the receptionist took a break and someone that looked like a technician became the receptionist. Judging from the expression the technician look-alike has on his face, I believed he was very impressed with my Bio !! Too bad that he was not the HR manager. (this company do not have a HR department. They are actually much smaller than what they want you to think they are)

As soon as I sat down, I was told the rules: answer 10 (or 12) questions, if you pass, then you move on to the 2nd interview. You are not allowed to ask any question unless you make it to the 3rd interview. Interviewer gave his first name only, no business card or any introduction at all. Answering the questions took 10 minutes and you are out the door.

I already decided this is not where I want to work but accepted the 2nd interview 2 days later as I really want to find out more so that I can post it for other to read.
Again interviewer gave his first name, no introduction.
2nd interview was a case study. You have 20 minutes to present how you would approach the different scenarios they have on the case study.
I noticed the trading room next door was almost empty today. I asked and was told the traders were send home because they lost all their money for the day.
After the presentation, I went into another room to do some personality test question and was told to leave the test result with the receptionist when done. (Don’t expect anyone to thank you and show you to the door or you will be sitting in that room for the rest of the day).

Overall impression is that this company don’t give a damn as you are only a job applicant. They treat job applicant as if they are a disposable item. The interviewer all seems to want to remain invisible. Although I can not put my finger on it, the atmosphere inside the office are also kind of strange.

For those who need a job badly or a stepping stone, find out this before attending 1st interview:
What is a short order (when trading stock)
Name of some popular Windows and Unix database
What is VLAN (virtual LAN, Google under computer networking)
Experience you have with outsourcing
What operating systems you are familiar with.
How many concurrent projects you worked on.
How many people are involved in those projects.
What experience you have with trading.
What is your salary expectation.

For the 2nd interview case study. There is no right or wrong answer. They are looking for a specific response. Keep in mind their current setup is likely very unorganized.

For the personality test, there are around 20 multiple choice type of questions. You need to choose among conflicting options, somewhere along the line like which of this best describe you: you are not a team player or you hate working with someone who do not agree with you. .

Unfortunately I just checked off the answer randomly and never make it to the third round ( I likely had chosen one that said I hate accepting responsibility and I don’t like being told what to do) , otherwise you would be able to read about it ?.

Good luck with your interview. Let me know if you land the job.

PM Interview

PM
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Orbixa in September 2010.

Interview Details – As posted by others, very bad impression from the interview on the company. Very noisy even in corridor, looks not good work enviorement. The worst reception (as HR aslo?) even met in the world. Waited over 30 minutes for 10 mintues of routine questions. Such first round of filter could be arranged better. Interview started over 20 mitnues late for the planed time, not well organized. if you have no interview oppertunity, maybe take it as a practise firm, but may not a good place to work.

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Orbixa in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was intrigued by their posting on Craigslist, which boasted "terrific benefits and perquisites, including free beverages, breakfast, lunch, and registered massage therapist treatment on site". About two days after I sent my resume I was called for a skills test at their Yonge & St. Clair location. When I got there I couldn't help but feel that this was a very secretive work environment. People were coming in every 10 to 15 minutes to sign in and wait for their turn to take the test. There was a pretty big pile of resumes on the front desk (which apparently also serves as an HR desk) in the lobby. In other words, they don't seem to have much in the way of a resume screening process.

The skills test consisted of SQL, C++ and MFC questions. The C++ part was very basic. However, this was a Unix development position, and needless to say a Unix developer is very unlikely to be an MFC guru. Not to mention MFC was not on the list of desired skills in the job posting. Instead, Qt knowledge would be considered an asset. Why bother with MFC questions then? MFC and Qt are two very different APIs. The SQL questions were fairly advanced for a development position in my opinion; they would have been fair game for a DBA position.

In any case, I thought that a better screening process would have saved the company and the candidates a lot of time. Trivial, junior-level C++ questions should be asked on the phone as part of the initial screening process.

The room where they had me take the test was pretty depressing. It looked like a trading room, there were two or three employees in the room, talking and watching BNN on a wall/ceiling mounted TV. The volume was quite loud and I thought it was very inconsiderate to have candidates take a skills test in that area. The chairs were garbage as well.

They called me the next morning at 9 AM to schedule an on-site interview. I declined the invitation to interview.

Interview Question – What is a copy constructor and when is it called?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Orbixa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orbixa interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Orbixa employees and interview candidates.