Orbixa

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.5

Senior Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Orbixa in September 2014.

The CEO himself conduct the interview. Total 16 questions, most of them are behavioral questions.He asked about the short sell as others mentioned. He also asked about did you ever make decisions by your God, and what do you think about that. Another kind of questions were how you rank yourself in C/C++ skills, what kind of developer do you think yourself.

Interview Questions
    • If you and me were standing on the top of Toronto's highest building, and only a bottle of water in your hand, how would you measure the height of the building?   Answer Question

Internet Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Orbixa in March 2014.

Like previously mentioned, they will give any one an interview, if you send them your resume. There are 3 on-site interviews, One of the interviews consists of a case study and presentation. One of the other interviews consists of brainteaser and behavioural questions.

C++ Developer Interview

Normally they will give any one an interview, if you send them your resume. So the process could take three weeks at least. Three on-site interviews, while there is no hard questions. The first interview is about a brainteaser and some behavior questions. While the second one is for C++ tech.

Interview Questions

The pay is not very good.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Orbixa in March 2013.

I was called in a week after submitting my resume. I was interested as Orbixa is in the financial technology space. Two people interviewed me for about an hour: the technical director and a senior programmer. I was asked C++ centric questions and things about my past. All in all, quite simple.

When I asked about what problems they worked on and how they tackled them, I received vague responses and a lot of hand-waving from the tech director. The senior guy talked about ancient tech. I had the impression that it was a pretty lightweight company.

Interview Questions

I had the impression that company's systems were held together with spaghetti and tape.

Equities Trader Interview

Interview Details – The interview wasn't very intense and I've included some of the questions below:

1- Tell me about yourself?
    2- What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?
    3- What does it mean to sell-short?
    4- Name a few of your favourite stocks and why? [Note: talk about catalysts and technicals]
    5- Why prop trading at Orbixa?

Engineering Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Orbixa in December 2011.

Applied online long time ago, took more two weeks to get an interview notice via phone. In office interviewed by two interviewers. First answered pre-set questions about 12 totally, then took a skills test for about 40 mins.

Equity Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Orbixa in June 2011.

1- Tell me about yourself?
    2- What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?
    3- What does it mean to sell-short?
    5- Why prop trading at Orbixa?

And a few other fit and technical analysis questions.

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Orbixa in December 2010.

Here a company with bad press but not a bad process
    yes it 3 stages but they were explain upfront and you could leave if not for you.
    If your new to Canada no Canadian experience but can do the Job then check this company out for Jobs
    The process is to allow you to show YOU can do the Job.

Stage one
    A quick panel interview 10 questions
    Like what do you know of the company? Very standard interview questions
    This is followed up with basic skills test it
    First question they give you some details of a scenario then ask
    What type of test plan would you create?
    the second was write a test case for a scenario
    3-15 were pick the right answer

The office
    They knew I was coming, I didn't wait long for the interview
    I was introduced to everyone and was also told I would know within a week if going to stage 2
    Much better than waiting 2-3 weeks to hearing nothing at all.

NO it not going to be great resume, here is the Job, can you start Monday
    It is going to be show us YOU can do the Job
    So not the place if you can't real do the job

Overall
    Here a company willing to give you a chance to show your stuff. Take it.

Engineering Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Orbixa in December 2010.

It was not as bad as I expected from other postings, but reading these postings prepared me well and I did not have some high expectations.
    The first part was a panel interview with two persons, some personal and basic technical questions.
    The second part is short test for basic SQL and some additional basic technical questions.
    For every candidate given about 10 minutes for in person interview and as much as you need for test part (all candidates write together in same room).
    The agenda of the company that they are not filtering Resumes so there are lot candidates one after second, I think they should do basic filtering in order to prevent wasting of candidates and their time.
    Some observation - the walls there painted in red and blue colors and frame of the doors in yellow - the gives some depressing atmosphere.

Some advice about the interview - if you are going there - just recall your knowledge about basic SQL statements.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Orbixa in November 2010.

I looked up past comment on Glassdoor.com before attending 1st interview. Just as other posted, use this as a practice site as you can walk in knowing this and don’t have the pressure. I walked in with precisely that state of mind.

Received a phone call and was asked to go in for an interview the next morning. The person calling did not give his name.

Approached the reception desk, saw my resume on the desk (which also mean anyone interested in my Bio can read it). While waiting for my interview, the receptionist took a break and someone that looked like a technician became the receptionist. Judging from the expression the technician look-alike has on his face, I believed he was very impressed with my Bio !! Too bad that he was not the HR manager. (this company do not have a HR department. They are actually much smaller than what they want you to think they are)

As soon as I sat down, I was told the rules: answer 10 (or 12) questions, if you pass, then you move on to the 2nd interview. You are not allowed to ask any question unless you make it to the 3rd interview. Interviewer gave his first name only, no business card or any introduction at all. Answering the questions took 10 minutes and you are out the door.

I already decided this is not where I want to work but accepted the 2nd interview 2 days later as I really want to find out more so that I can post it for other to read.
    Again interviewer gave his first name, no introduction.
    2nd interview was a case study. You have 20 minutes to present how you would approach the different scenarios they have on the case study.
    I noticed the trading room next door was almost empty today. I asked and was told the traders were send home because they lost all their money for the day.
    After the presentation, I went into another room to do some personality test question and was told to leave the test result with the receptionist when done. (Don’t expect anyone to thank you and show you to the door or you will be sitting in that room for the rest of the day).

Overall impression is that this company don’t give a damn as you are only a job applicant. They treat job applicant as if they are a disposable item. The interviewer all seems to want to remain invisible. Although I can not put my finger on it, the atmosphere inside the office are also kind of strange.

For those who need a job badly or a stepping stone, find out this before attending 1st interview:
    What is a short order (when trading stock)
    Name of some popular Windows and Unix database
    What is VLAN (virtual LAN, Google under computer networking)
    Experience you have with outsourcing
    What operating systems you are familiar with.
    How many concurrent projects you worked on.
    How many people are involved in those projects.
    What experience you have with trading.
    What is your salary expectation.

For the 2nd interview case study. There is no right or wrong answer. They are looking for a specific response. Keep in mind their current setup is likely very unorganized.

For the personality test, there are around 20 multiple choice type of questions. You need to choose among conflicting options, somewhere along the line like which of this best describe you: you are not a team player or you hate working with someone who do not agree with you. .

Unfortunately I just checked off the answer randomly and never make it to the third round ( I likely had chosen one that said I hate accepting responsibility and I don’t like being told what to do) , otherwise you would be able to read about it ?.

Good luck with your interview. Let me know if you land the job.