Oregon Department of Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Salem, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied originally in late January, answering four supplemental questions on line in addition to other materials. About a month later, they contacted me saying that they had received so many applications and and asked me to complete an additional five questions -- so 9 questions in total. Each question required a couple of paragraphs, taking hours between the two applications. Finally in March, I was contacted for a 30-minute interview. Very lengthy process. Another problem was that they had given no indication where the interview was to take place, simply the address of a large government building. So I arrived 15 minutes early, but it took the reception almost half an hour to locate the people I was to interview with (they were not at their desks so didn't pick up the phone) making me 15 minutes late for a 30 minute interview. That made me frazzled and probably didn't help my chances.

Interview Questions

• Three questions: 1) This position requires a comprehensive understanding of the administrative rules that govern the work of child welfare in Oregon, including the entire life of a child welfare case, certification standards for persons certified by the Department, and the licensing of child caring agencies. How do you see yourself gaining this knowledge set? 2) Describe how you lead various teams of individuals within subgroups and in larger administrative bodies to come to consensus on policy decisions that must be compliant with federal and state law. 3) Describe how your education and experience has prepared you for this position.   Answer Question

Human Services Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Eugene, OR) in January 2015.

Interview

The application was online.If you want to get to the interview stage make sure your answers are very long. A page or two for a supplement question in not overdoing things. The initial interview was six questions, all to be answered in the S.O.A.R. method. there were four interviewers, all cold and meant to be intimidating. There is a very brief skills assessment; alphabetize ten names. find the average salary over three months and a written question, mine was about diversity.

Interview Questions

• The question I stumbled on was:Please tell about the value of diversity in the workplace. I found it difficult because it was not posed as the other questions in a way that, in my mind, fit the SOAR response formula.   Answer Question

Human Services Specialist III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseburg, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Roseburg, OR) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online in June. I was invited in for a group interview on July 18, 2014. The group interview involved about 20 candidates. We were asked a series of questions and had to write out responses in pencil on full sheets of paper. We were given between 5-10 minutes per question. The questions were things like: describe a time when you overcame a problem at a previous employer and describe how you did it. They were pretty specific and in-depth questions. They all required lengthy responses.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the most difficult question but I was asked to describe a time at a previous employer where I went above and beyond, which employer was your most difficult and why, and if applicable, why did you leave your last employer and what would they say about you.   Answer Question

Human Services Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Salem, OR) in February 2014.

Interview

First interview consisted of a group interview with others interviewing. In addition, the interview had a 5-6 panel interviewers. The human resources person went over the interview process and pretty much tells a person that this is the time to make yourself stand out in the interview process. There was a few question and one scenario based question working with other interviewees' in order to see a person's interpersonal skills and communication. Volunteer, Volunteer! as much as possible and I made it to the second round of interviews. First round was for 10 positions with over 50 people interviewing, some case manager and I am not a case manager. So, by volunteering and researching the company I was able to impress both interview panels. The second interview had a series of 6 questions and I had 15 minutes to review and take notes before the interview. Arrive earlier as possible, because a person may have more time reviewing and making notes for the questions. I had my resume and made a study guide with the organizations goals, mission, vision, and general information to answer the questions. I weaved my experience along with the goals, mission, vision, and general information about DHS into my answers this seemed to really impress some of the people on the interview panel. Still waiting to here back from the second interview. Both interviews involved picking a slot time for the interview.

Interview Questions

• S.O.A.R questions- Scenario, Obstacle, Action, Result. Case manager's have a heavy workload and my answers covered all aspects of the S.O.A.R model in a short and timely manner. This is important so that the interview panel can see that a person is about to work cases in a face pace environment while getting positive results. Too long of answers or answers that show it took months to get results from a project or case does not look like you can manage the heavy caseload.   Answer Question

Human Services Specialist III Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services in January 2014.

Interview

After you submit the application by internet you will receive an email if you will qualify or not for the position, usually you qualify and HR pass the information to the Manager. Then you will receive an other email to schedule an interview. In the interview they give you a paper with the questions, so you have the opportunity to be success in the interview, all questions are about examples "tell the time when you..."

Interview Questions

• "Tell me the time when you think you not communicate well and what do you did?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not negotiable salary. You will start from the scratch.

HSS3 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Portland, OR) in November 2013.

Interview

You will meet with a small panel (two or three managers, usually) They are going off a rigid script of questions and they will stick to it. They will expect you to answer all parts of the questions and they will only be impressed if you can give specific examples of what happened in previous jobs and how you overcame those issues or solved those problems.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions such as "When was a time you had conflict with another employee, and how did you solve your problem?"   Answer Question

Human Services Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Portland, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

Very long process. Applied online. Waited till the job closes. Received and email stating I passed the qualification. Waited another 2 weeks and received an email asking me to go to an interview. 1st interview was a test with a large group of people. Pretty simple, on paper, math problems, wrote a summary, filing question. They called a week later for a second interview. Interviewed with 2 employees. One was a manager and another was a Human Services Specialist III.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions regarding diversity, time management, teamwork and so on. Tem me a time when......scenarios.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Took what was offered.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services.

Interview

Standard State of Oregon process. E-mail heavy communication, schedule your own interview. I unfortunately scheduled my interview dead last out of everyone. It was late and on a Friday. As soon as I walked in it was extremely obvious that I didn't have a chance. The people interviewing me just wanted to go home and most likely had someone in mind already.

Program Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Beaverton, OR).

Interview

File online application at oregon.gov/dhs at the State Jobs link If you are qualified you will be notified by the format you select and asked to interview. The interview is rarely 1:1...it will almost always be at least two people and usually three or more. You will be asked to arrive at the interview site 15 min. early and will be given a copy of the questions you will be asked in the interview and a copy of the job description. Some sites will give you a copy of an HR301 which is the background check form. Don't waste time on anything except the questions. You should quickly go over these questions and make notes on talking points you wish to make on each question. Then take a little more time and carefully go back over the questions and read each one and think a little more about examples you can use and make quick notes or write down examples. You will have plenty of time later at home to read the job description and you can fill out the HR301 out in the lobby after the interview. The interview process is usually a single interview but, two or sometimes three interviews are not uncommon. If you don't know much about the job you can ask questions but, wait until you are given a chance to ask...even if you don't have any questions, you should ask at least one.

Interview Questions

• Please explain a situation with a co-worker or manager, that despite your best efforts, did not work out in your favor.   1 Answer

Social Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Astoria, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Oregon Department of Human Services (Astoria, OR) in September 2009.

Interview

Filled out the famous 15 page long (approx.) PD 100 Oregon State Employee application. Had a panel interviewed that consisted of 5 individuals. Waited three weeks hoping to get hired. I did get hired.

Interview Questions

• 1. Please describe in detail, your education, training, and experience working in a social service environment and/or with a social service program. Please be specific and include details regarding any experience working directly with child welfare programs and/or child protective services programs.   Answer Question
    • 2. Why have you chosen to pursue a casework position at DHS Child Welfare? What is your motivation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, was given the salary, I didn't try to negotiate.