Orvis Company

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I was a walk in interview. There was not a rigorous application or interview process. I sat down with the store manager and assistant manager and we discussed typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you have to deal with an upset customer what are the steps you will take?   Answer Question

Fishing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Orvis Company.

Worked in the store for some time before being pegged for the job by the manager. After that, the interview was a formality. Had to interview with district manager and the VP of retail at the same time. They decided to send me (on their dime) to another store for a week to work with an "experienced fishing manager" this person basically ignored me for the week. They didn't have a formal training process at the time it seemed. It was just kind of go forth and do well, or else.

Interview Questions
    • How do plan to bring in business from the local community?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Orvis Company.

Orvis called me in for an interview 10 months after I applied for the job. I realized immediately that they like group interviews. I interviewed with 10 people my first interview, and about 15 people my second interview. They are broken up to be 2-4 people per interview meeting. It was a very thorough interview process. It was too long, really - I was meeting people all day for one full day on two different occasions. I was literally exhausted after each day and then was asked to get dinner one of those nights with staff. It was just too much.

Interview Questions
    • What would your friends/current coworkers say are your three greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question
    They are desperate to get people to move to a town of less than 4,000 people, but they low ball with salaries. They will offer the least amount possible, unless you have loads of experience and made them feel like you were an expert in your field during the interview.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Orvis Company.

called in for two interviews and met directly with store manager. All applications are accepted online and not in store.

E-Mail Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, VT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Orvis Company.

I applied for the E-mail Marketing Manager position. About two weeks later I was invited to participate in a phone interview with an HR representative. This interview lasted about 30 minutes, and was a little more in-depth than a typical screening interview.

The next day, the HR rep e-mailed me to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager and the HR manager. This interview lasted about an hour. One week later, HR called to set up a phone interview with the VP of E-Commerce. This interview lasted about 45 minutes.

A few days after the last phone interview, HR called and said they wanted to fly me up to meet the team and visit the HQ. Travel arrangements were handled through a travel agent, and I flew into Albany (the nearest airport).

Orvis put me up at a very nice bed and breakfast in Manchester and had a welcome package waiting for me (a $50 gift card with an invitation to visit their flagship store and two complimentary tickets to area attractions). The night before the interviews the hiring manager took me to a delightful area restaurant for dinner.

My on-site interview lasted about six hours and included meetings with about 12 different people in groups of up to four at a time. I had a very nice HR rep who made it her job to ensure I was comfortable throughout the day.

My on-site interview was on Thursday and the following Tuesday the hiring manager e-mailed to let me know they would be pursuing other candidates with more direct experience. As the hiring manager admitted to me during my visit, they had very few qualified candidates apply in the first month the job was posted (likely due to the rural location of the headquarters). I suspect I was able to slip in and make a good impression, but after inviting me to come up, they likely received interest from more qualified individuals.

Overall, I had a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • If your achievements include revenue figures, be prepared to discuss specifics.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Orvis Company.

Very simple, sit down with store manager.

No negotiation.

Manager At Corporate Headquarters Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, VT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Orvis Company in May 2012.

I was flown to Albany the nearest airport and I was provided with a rental car. The interviews took a full day and then a business dinner. I assumed I got the job because we spoke at length about salary and benefits. I waited for days to hear back. But nothing. I called and finally was told a decision had not been reached yet. I waited and waited and never heard another word from the company. I have hired dozens of people and I never would have left someone hanging like this. Very unprofessional!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Orvis Company in October 2010.

The process is quite simple since this is a retail position. However, I had to track down the manager which took about 2 weeks. They brought me in for a pretty standard q and a about my previous work history and whether I'd ever worked in retail. After that first interview they hired me.

Interview Questions
    • Since I was working in the fishing section I got some questions regarding my knowledge that I didn't expect.   Answer Question
    I negotiated for a slight raise in the base pay that they initially offered.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Orvis Company in October 2009.

I submitted my resume and received a phone call in the next few days. I was then asked to come in and interview. I spoke to the manager who then asked me some questions and gave me a description of what the job entailed. The next day I was called and offered the job.