Osram Sylvania Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.9

Internal Audit Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Interviewed with one of the auditors as well as the Director of auditing. Questions were straight forward and both interviewers were laid back. Were looking for someone they could mold by using new programs.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danvers, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in March 2014.

Initial phone interview with manager, followed by on-site interview. The interview process started at 9:00 am and took until 4:30 pm and included lunch with the manager and his director.

The proposed work was extremely interesting to me and concerned some cutting edge technology. I had a great time during the interviews and met a number of people who seemed engaged and happy to be at the company.

I received a competitive offer but overall the compensation level was just a little bit too low, and even though the company raised their original offer, we could not reach an agreement. Too bad, as I was ready to take the job.

Interview Questions
    • Since I had covered a great deal during the phone interview, the on-site interview was pro forma. There were some simple programming questions but nothing that anyone with some experience could not answer.   View Answer

Benefit package was industry-standard and there was a generous relocation package, but the proposed yearly compensation was too low after I took the cost of living into account.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in February 2014.

Screening interview, interview with manager. The interview was not intense but pointed and the questions were more like a "situational analysis" type of discussion to try and extract info.

Interview Questions
    • Did you have quotas you had to meet? How did you deal with being over or under quota?   Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

interviewed at Osram Sylvania in November 2011.

Phone interview with team of 5

Assistant Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in October 2012.

A preliminary interview is usually conducted over the phone, most questions will be based on your resume and are for HR personnel to understand your background and compare it to other candidates.

After the initial screening and elimination of some candidates, the second interview will be with the manager of the position in question. This will be an in person interview, whereby the candidate is require to come in. Most questions will be based on the candidate's resume and work experience, this also gives the manager an opportunity to see if candidate would be a good fit for the position and environment, so dress appropriately!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself? This might seem like an easy question, however, for the unprepared candidate, this can end horridly. Remember the manager will not only expect a genuine and coherent response, but they will also be observing how the candidate articulates themselves - your grammar, diction and body language.   Answer Question
    HR rep called and made the offer, THIS IS THE TIME TO NEGOTIATE.

Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hillsborough, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsborough, NH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Luck of the draw basically comes down to who you know

Interview Questions
    No negotiation take the job or leave, they will likely hire temps and then dump them a year or so later

Power Electronics Engineer- Senior Or Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danvers, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in November 2013.

I got two phone interviews. The first lasted 30 min. I was asked question about my master, the courses I chose, the university I come from. Then the interview turned rapidly technical!
    I was asked to explain completely how a Flyback converter works. He gave me a sheet about "TRIAC-Dimmable, Primary-Side-Control Offline LED Controller with Active PFC". It told me to read and prepare it for the second interview.
    This second interview lasted 50min. He asked me many questions about that sheet. I did not understand everything and was not able to answer all the questions but the interviewer told me he would ask his boss.
    Then I received an email. The told me to come to Danvers (MA). They paid for the plane, hotel...
    I had several face to face interviews: 5 with different people: Mgr Engineering, Principal Special Tech Eng, Director R&D, Corporate Recruiter... Many technical questions about power converters and a project I worked on during my studies using a STM 32 microcontroller.
    Two weeks later I received an email with their final decision

Interview Questions
    • I had advanced questions about Flyback/PFC controllers. Some questions about small signal equivalent circuit of a NPN transistor and an exercice with an operationel amplifier.   Answer Question

Light Manufacturing Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Interview was easy, not too many difficult questions because I was only being interviewed for manufacturing side of things.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you worked with a team, what were problems you experienced and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question
    Not negotiable

Corporate Function Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danvers, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Was a smooth and fast process. Initial phone interview followed shortly by 1 and 1 and panel interview (same day). No BS in the negotiations. I worked with the same group when hiring a new person for the department, and I was very impressed with the candidate selection, especially with the volume of resumes received. The former recruiting director was top notch. Unfortunately the entire recruiting staff has since changed, so I am not sure how the experience would be today.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - pretty direct and to the point. Focus on how my skills and personality would fit with the department.   Answer Question
    Pretty straightforward. They gave me a good salary offer. The benefits sucked, but there's not much they could do about that.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Versailles, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Versailles, KY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Job Fair, cumbersome online application process is used now. From first contact to interview took 6 months. Standard interview process. Meet many bigwigs throughout the plant during the process.

Interview Questions
    • Work history- Had worked for a string of companies that had either went bankrupt, were recovering or were in volatile business sectors. Osram makes a big effort towards long-term retention.   Answer Question
    I should have negotiated, but the offer was reasonably fair especially since I'd been looking for 6 months

Worked for Osram Sylvania? Contribute to the Community!