Osram Sylvania

Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Danvers, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with manager, followed by on-site interview. The interview process started at 9:00 am and took until 4:30 pm and included lunch with the manager and his director.

The proposed work was extremely interesting to me and concerned some cutting edge technology. I had a great time during the interviews and met a number of people who seemed engaged and happy to be at the company.

I received a competitive offer but overall the compensation level was just a little bit too low, and even though the company raised their original offer, we could not reach an agreement. Too bad, as I was ready to take the job.

Interview Question – Since I had covered a great deal during the phone interview, the on-site interview was pro forma. There were some simple programming questions but nothing that anyone with some experience could not answer.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Benefit package was industry-standard and there was a generous relocation package, but the proposed yearly compensation was too low after I took the cost of living into account.

Business Development Interview

Business Development
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in February 2014.

Interview Details – Screening interview, interview with manager. The interview was not intense but pointed and the questions were more like a "situational analysis" type of discussion to try and extract info.

Interview Question – Did you have quotas you had to meet? How did you deal with being over or under quota?   Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer

I interviewed at Osram Sylvania in November 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with team of 5

Interview Question – Why make switch   Answer Question

Assistant Accountant Interview

Assistant Accountant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in October 2012.

Interview Details – A preliminary interview is usually conducted over the phone, most questions will be based on your resume and are for HR personnel to understand your background and compare it to other candidates.

After the initial screening and elimination of some candidates, the second interview will be with the manager of the position in question. This will be an in person interview, whereby the candidate is require to come in. Most questions will be based on the candidate's resume and work experience, this also gives the manager an opportunity to see if candidate would be a good fit for the position and environment, so dress appropriately!

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself? This might seem like an easy question, however, for the unprepared candidate, this can end horridly. Remember the manager will not only expect a genuine and coherent response, but they will also be observing how the candidate articulates themselves - your grammar, diction and body language.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR rep called and made the offer, THIS IS THE TIME TO NEGOTIATE.

Mechanic Interview

Mechanic
Hillsborough, NH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Interview Details – Luck of the draw basically comes down to who you know

Interview Question – Standard questions no thinking outside the box here   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation take the job or leave, they will likely hire temps and then dump them a year or so later

Power Electronics Engineer- Senior Or Principal Interview

Power Electronics Engineer- Senior Or Principal
Danvers, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got two phone interviews. The first lasted 30 min. I was asked question about my master, the courses I chose, the university I come from. Then the interview turned rapidly technical!
I was asked to explain completely how a Flyback converter works. He gave me a sheet about "TRIAC-Dimmable, Primary-Side-Control Offline LED Controller with Active PFC". It told me to read and prepare it for the second interview.
This second interview lasted 50min. He asked me many questions about that sheet. I did not understand everything and was not able to answer all the questions but the interviewer told me he would ask his boss.
Then I received an email. The told me to come to Danvers (MA). They paid for the plane, hotel...
I had several face to face interviews: 5 with different people: Mgr Engineering, Principal Special Tech Eng, Director R&D, Corporate Recruiter... Many technical questions about power converters and a project I worked on during my studies using a STM 32 microcontroller.
Two weeks later I received an email with their final decision

Interview Question – I had advanced questions about Flyback/PFC controllers. Some questions about small signal equivalent circuit of a NPN transistor and an exercice with an operationel amplifier.   Answer Question

Light Manufacturing Interview

Light Manufacturing

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Interview Details – Interview was easy, not too many difficult questions because I was only being interviewed for manufacturing side of things.

Interview Question – Name a time you worked with a team, what were problems you experienced and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable

Corporate Function Interview

Corporate Function
Danvers, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Interview Details – Was a smooth and fast process. Initial phone interview followed shortly by 1 and 1 and panel interview (same day). No BS in the negotiations. I worked with the same group when hiring a new person for the department, and I was very impressed with the candidate selection, especially with the volume of resumes received. The former recruiting director was top notch. Unfortunately the entire recruiting staff has since changed, so I am not sure how the experience would be today.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected - pretty direct and to the point. Focus on how my skills and personality would fit with the department.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straightforward. They gave me a good salary offer. The benefits sucked, but there's not much they could do about that.

Very Easy Interview

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Versailles, KY

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Osram Sylvania.

Interview Details – Job Fair, cumbersome online application process is used now. From first contact to interview took 6 months. Standard interview process. Meet many bigwigs throughout the plant during the process.

Interview Question – Work history- Had worked for a string of companies that had either went bankrupt, were recovering or were in volatile business sectors. Osram makes a big effort towards long-term retention.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I should have negotiated, but the offer was reasonably fair especially since I'd been looking for 6 months

Technical Recruiter Interview

Technical Recruiter
Danvers, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Osram Sylvania in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had been networking with the hiring manager for a few months. I let her know that I was starting an active search. About 1 month later she contacted me and put me in touch with her tech lead. We had a good lunch meeting and connected well.
An internal applicant applied for the job and the Tech lead did a good job to follow up and let me know the status.
 It was a very positive experience. I would recommend this company and am still interested in working there.

Interview Question – What are your best resources and tactics for finding technical candidates?   Answer Question

Worked for Osram Sylvania? Contribute to the Community!