Outback Steakhouse

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Food Server

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in January 2014.

Interview Details – Everything you'd expect to make sure you were a qualified worker were present. My interviewer originally wanted me to start as a host, then go to takeaway, then to serving. However, I was able to talk my way into serving right away because I saw something that the interviewer did not bring with them; their guard. Any person can walk off on the street and wow someone, but they took a risk which I would advise against. I have done a great job so far, and the interviewer doesn't regret it. However, what if that didnt happen?

Interview Question – The most difficult question was why I would be good at working there; I had never worked in a restaurant like this before so I had to think of it during the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my starting position.

Hunt Valley, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in June 2010.

Interview Details – My interview process was over 3 years ago so forgive me if I can't remember everything in detail. From what I do recollect, there was a personality and general competency test. Both are fairly easy if you do, in fact, have the right temperament for the restaurant industry and the customer relations involved. You'll go through a few interviews both with managers and the proprietor of the restaurant. Dress nicely and present yourself well. You generally will not start out as a server unless you have previous serving experience at another OB location. I was fortunate enough to be hired as a server without such experience but this is not commonplace.

Interview Question – I can't remember specific questions but the one piece of advice I will give you is this -- the answer to essentially all questions is "get a manager" -- Outback Steakhouse is incredibly cognizant of their customer relations and will go out of their way to make the customer experience as smooth as possible. The managers present will handle difficult situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations. You'll get the bare minimum (for myself in Maryland, it was $3.70 an hour) and make most of your money in tips. For those just starting as a server, you'll be put in the worst sections at first and make about $50-60 in tips average. Once you get your feet wet, you'll be put into better sections and make upwards of $80-100 depending on what night it is.

Ormond Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in May 2010.

Interview Details – The proprietor believes that If he asks enough "what if" questions he will throw you. He told a guest that he acts like the biggest jerk he can and if the candidate can keep a smile on their face he'll probably hire them. No eye contact at all!

Interview Question – If you have a tray with food ready to go out for a table of 4 and you notice one of the steaks is overlooked what do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none

Very Easy Interview

Palm Bay, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and brought a copy of my application to my interview. The employer asked some basic interview questions. He then asked me what experience I had to offer. After that he dismissed me. He called me later that evening and offered me the job! It is a good job and an easy interview.

Interview Question – Do you have any expereince?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. The employer told me the hours and what I would get paid. There was no room to change and ask for what I wanted. They are strict on their budget.

Food Server

The process took a day - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in May 2009.

Interview Details – Casual interview both with the assistant manager and the general manager

Interview Question – How do you sell a Coke?   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Outback Steakhouse

Worked for Outback Steakhouse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Outback Steakhouse Food Server interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Outback Steakhouse employees and interview candidates.