Outback Steakhouse Food Server Interview Questions & Reviews

5 interviews

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Food Server Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in January 2014.

Everything you'd expect to make sure you were a qualified worker were present. My interviewer originally wanted me to start as a host, then go to takeaway, then to serving. However, I was able to talk my way into serving right away because I saw something that the interviewer did not bring with them; their guard. Any person can walk off on the street and wow someone, but they took a risk which I would advise against. I have done a great job so far, and the interviewer doesn't regret it. However, what if that didnt happen?

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult question was why I would be good at working there; I had never worked in a restaurant like this before so I had to think of it during the interview.   Answer Question
I was able to negotiate my starting position.

Other Interview Reviews for Outback Steakhouse

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in June 2010.

My interview process was over 3 years ago so forgive me if I can't remember everything in detail. From what I do recollect, there was a personality and general competency test. Both are fairly easy if you do, in fact, have the right temperament for the restaurant industry and the customer relations involved. You'll go through a few interviews both with managers and the proprietor of the restaurant. Dress nicely and present yourself well. You generally will not start out as a server unless you have previous serving experience at another OB location. I was fortunate enough to be hired as a server without such experience but this is not commonplace.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember specific questions but the one piece of advice I will give you is this -- the answer to essentially all questions is "get a manager" -- Outback Steakhouse is incredibly cognizant of their customer relations and will go out of their way to make the customer experience as smooth as possible. The managers present will handle difficult situations.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations. You'll get the bare minimum (for myself in Maryland, it was $3.70 an hour) and make most of your money in tips. For those just starting as a server, you'll be put in the worst sections at first and make about $50-60 in tips average. Once you get your feet wet, you'll be put into better sections and make upwards of $80-100 depending on what night it is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ormond Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ormond Beach, FL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in May 2010.

The proprietor believes that If he asks enough "what if" questions he will throw you. He told a guest that he acts like the biggest jerk he can and if the candidate can keep a smile on their face he'll probably hire them. No eye contact at all!

Interview Questions
    • If you have a tray with food ready to go out for a table of 4 and you notice one of the steaks is overlooked what do you do?   View Answer
    There was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palm Bay, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in September 2011.

I applied online and brought a copy of my application to my interview. The employer asked some basic interview questions. He then asked me what experience I had to offer. After that he dismissed me. He called me later that evening and offered me the job! It is a good job and an easy interview.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase. The employer told me the hours and what I would get paid. There was no room to change and ask for what I wanted. They are strict on their budget.

Food Server Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in May 2009.

Casual interview both with the assistant manager and the general manager

Interview Questions

Worked for Outback Steakhouse? Contribute to the Community!