Outback Steakhouse

71 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hostess Interview

Hostess

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse.

Interview Details – First, I was asked to take a basic test which seemed to test for personality/ basic aptitude. Fairly straight-forward. 2 days later was asked to come back for an interview with a Manager. Was asked basic questions about experience in the restaurant industry ( I had none) and was asked about my availability. I was hired on the spot, and began training/work the next day.

Interview Question – If after work, you were to see a guest with a flat tire, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Server Interview

Interviewed at Outback Steakhouse

Interview Details – Hiring is quick because I had experience and asked to speak with a manager while handing in an application. The initial interview process was almost comical. The hiring manager used the word 'dude' multiple times. After bs-ing through a series of cliche interpersonal questions, I was whisked away to training.

Interview Question – Seriously, don't worry about it. Just smile and say your biggest weakness is that you work too hard.   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Waitress
Bowie, MD

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly easy. I sat down with the proprietor in a booth and we discussed my prior experience and he asked me a lot of questions about what would make me valuable to the company. He also asked me how long I planned on staying with the company and stated that if I stayed with the company 1 year I would be eligible for a location transfer. I also took a standardized test that had me rate different situations and how I would react and well as some simple math and reading questions.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Takeaway Server Interview

Takeaway Server
Temple Terrace, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in April 2009.

Interview Details – Face to Face interview, IQ and Personality Tests

Interview Question – Role playing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – When can you work. started as busser and was promoted

Food Server Interview

Food Server
Hunt Valley, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in June 2010.

Interview Details – My interview process was over 3 years ago so forgive me if I can't remember everything in detail. From what I do recollect, there was a personality and general competency test. Both are fairly easy if you do, in fact, have the right temperament for the restaurant industry and the customer relations involved. You'll go through a few interviews both with managers and the proprietor of the restaurant. Dress nicely and present yourself well. You generally will not start out as a server unless you have previous serving experience at another OB location. I was fortunate enough to be hired as a server without such experience but this is not commonplace.

Interview Question – I can't remember specific questions but the one piece of advice I will give you is this -- the answer to essentially all questions is "get a manager" -- Outback Steakhouse is incredibly cognizant of their customer relations and will go out of their way to make the customer experience as smooth as possible. The managers present will handle difficult situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations. You'll get the bare minimum (for myself in Maryland, it was $3.70 an hour) and make most of your money in tips. For those just starting as a server, you'll be put in the worst sections at first and make about $50-60 in tips average. Once you get your feet wet, you'll be put into better sections and make upwards of $80-100 depending on what night it is.

Food Server Interview

Food Server
Ormond Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in May 2010.

Interview Details – The proprietor believes that If he asks enough "what if" questions he will throw you. He told a guest that he acts like the biggest jerk he can and if the candidate can keep a smile on their face he'll probably hire them. No eye contact at all!

Interview Question – If you have a tray with food ready to go out for a table of 4 and you notice one of the steaks is overlooked what do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none

Server Interview

Server
New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in January 2011.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. First with the FOH manager, then with the proprietor. Personality test also. Pretty easy test. Mostly about honesty and what to do in situations. This was for a new store opening. The process will probably be different at an established location. One interview then from what I can tell.

Interview Question – He asked me to sell him a coke.   Answer Question

Server/Bartender Interview

Server/Bartender
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in February 2008.

Interview Details – Application (online)
Personality test
Interview with Front of house manager
Interview with Proprietor

Interview Question – How would you handle certain situations (with customers)   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

Williamsburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Outback Steakhouse in July 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out app online. Was called in a couple days for interview. Interview was short and very easy. Offered job on right away. Hostesses make 2.13 an hour plus tip share which is 1% of the sales. Not cool that they make the waiters pay hostess salaries. Manager was easy to get along with.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Not difficult   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not enough pay/hours

Curbside Takeaway Interview

Curbside Takeaway
Ellisville, MO

Interview Details – I had one interview with the assistant manager at the time. There were some basic math questions, how much I wanted to work....ect. Then you take a personality test and a basic math test. It's not too difficult, especially if you know the types of answers they typically want!

Negotiation Details – What negotiation? I was just excited to get my first job!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Outback Steakhouse