Overstock.com

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in November 2014.

I was called by one of the recruiting agency and told about requirement in Ovestock for Software Tester(automation/manual) for full time opportunity. Once I confirmed the interest I was asked to fill in and send QA questionnaire mostly consisted of my experience in QA, development & automation. After a week I was contacted that my Resume is shortlisted for phone interview and I was interviewed for an hour by two gentlemen questions consisted based on my resume, my current experience, SQL & Unix.After couple of days I was told that I cleared the phone interview and got a invite for onsite interview. Overstock booked the flight ticket and hotel to stay. I landed in Salt lake city Sunday night and next morning on Monday interview started at 10 am lasted till 2.30 pm with 5 rounds of interview(3 technical, 30 mins lunch social interview/discussion & 30 mins director interview).
    1st Interview was taken by two gentlemen for an hour they were QA leads and interviewed me on my resume, current project & asked me all detailed questions on current work I am doing, methodologies, processes, tools and my involvement in the assignment.

2nd Interview was taken by development people and asked me detailed web application scenario based question on test design and test approach also asked few questions on selenium webdriver.

3rd one was lunch with 2 people which had formal discussions for 30 mins.

4th round was again technical QA round which consisted questions on SQL,Unix, automation. They asked me to go over java code and asked me to explain. I also asked to come up with test scenarios for one of their process.

5th round was with director and he explained health insurance package and several other information about overstock and asked me about salary expectations. at 2.30 pm cab was waiting outside the building and I was taken back to airport and then flight back home.
    During all this process all the people I met was so friendly and nice to me. I did not felt once that why I came to this place. During all interviews if I am not able to come to the answer that they are expecting, they would try and direct me to correct direction and help. Everyone was so professional and no arrogance at all. It was good experience.

Interview Questions
    Requested and offered was almost the same so did not negotiated, they offered pretty good reallocation bonus so it was win-win situation. plus they pay the Visa transfer fees if applicable.

Marketing Interview

Asked the typical questions interview questions. Was not overly difficult but was confusing and hard to converse with several people on the phone asking questions at the same time. Didn't seem overly professional. Probably won't apply there in future.

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Overstock.com.

Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Questions
    • Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Overstock.com.

I've been with the company for a while, but they have always made a point to throw in random questions to see how you handle yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question they'd ask would essentially be a math equation, I've seen it done. Never had it personally happen to me   Answer Question
    That was never on the table.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com.

I went through a staffing agency and said I was looking for full time work and they worked with me to interview with Overstock.com.

The staffing agency did all the interfacing for me outside of the interviews (including scheduling the interviews)

For the interview, be prepared to answer SQL questions. I would recommend taking a few online SQL assessments just to brush up on the types of aggregations, joins, and the like. and be ready to write it all out by hand on a whiteboard (the assessment they give is not on a computer)

The process is fast for me, just 2 interviews. There was a general interview to get to know me and then a skill one to see how good my SQL was. After that they had an offer to me; all within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get into retail and do you even want to move to Salt Lake (I personally think its a great city but the interviewer did not)   Answer Question
    I went through a staffing agency (Recommended if you don't know anyone who works here) and they handled all the negotiations for me. I named my price and they matched it so that was it.

Trainer/Project Implementation O University Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in December 2013.

Applied online. I was scheduled for an onsite interview within the week. I interviewed with two co-managers simultaneously. The asked a variety of questions about my work history and my fit for their jobs. I asked a lot about the job and company. The then gave me ten minutes to come up with a impromptu training and I had to give them a ten minute training. Afterwards they had me meet with the other two members of the training team, who asked me some more questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about spreadsheet reports and data information that I had no clue about, I just answered to the best of my ability and tried to ensure them that I was capable of fulfilling their needs - basically I tried my best to make it seem like I knew what I was doing and I hoped that they bought it.   Answer Question
    They offered me a different position than I applied for. I tried to negotiate salary as they were already offering me everything else I was interested in, but they said that the position couldn't justify any increase. I first for a specific salary and expected a refusal, when I got one I tried for a compromise, but they seemed unwilling or unable to budge. I felt like they were already offering the high end of my position, since it wasn't the position I applied for. They assured me numerous times that my position would give me a lot of opportunity to impress a lot of high up people and if I did so I would have a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within a short time (1 year). That was acceptable to me.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com.

After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer
    Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

Introduced via tech recruiting company; initial phone interview with to-be manager and their manager; 2nd interview in person with same 2 ppl - 60 minutes, including technical questions (SQL working session on whiteboard). Most questions generic (what do you know about company, why do you want to work here, what are you looking for).

Interview Questions
    • They believe the most difficult question was writing a SQL query to return specific order data given their relational database model.   View Answer
    Short; I worked through a recuirter who gave me an initial offer then upped it 5% and told me this is the most they will offer; I took a small demotion and almost a 20% paycut to work here, with the promise that promotion was a near possibility.

Anonymous Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

Applied online, initial phone interview lasts about 25 minutes and they asked me questions about myself and the company alike. Briefly touched into specific questions about the position. Very friendly and very quick process. Was called the next day for a face to face. Office seemed very casual and nice. Face to face interview was a review of everything on the phone so be prepared to repeat everything in further detail.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

I had two rounds of interviews over the phone, and a third one where they flew me on site. They did a great job to be transparent about the culture, my responsibilities, and I felt made it a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I felt prepared so this didn't seem an issue for me. I felt comfortable the whole time and just talked about my experiences and skills, and that's really all they wanted to know.   Answer Question
    I took what they gave me.