Overstock.com Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

I applied on my own and then was contacted by a third party recruiter. Since I had already applied on my own, I didn't end up working with the recruiter. It took several months from when I applied to when I got an interview. First a phone interview, then an in- person interview. Be prepared to write sql on your in-person interview. The test is on a white board. They give you a dataset then ask you how you would write sql to get to what they want. Received an offer after a week or so of interview.

Interview Questions

• There really wasn't any difficult question. Just make sure you know how to answer the same problem in multiple ways (sql)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told them the minimum I would accept, and they offered me more.

Associate Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview

Very fast. Very casual. I had a phone screen first followrd by in person later on. I drove to the office at the base if the mountains. I was interviewers by a panal of 3 people while there.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2014.

Interview

I was called by one of the recruiting agency and told about requirement in Ovestock for Software Tester(automation/manual) for full time opportunity. Once I confirmed the interest I was asked to fill in and send QA questionnaire mostly consisted of my experience in QA, development & automation. After a week I was contacted that my Resume is shortlisted for phone interview and I was interviewed for an hour by two gentlemen questions consisted based on my resume, my current experience, SQL & Unix.After couple of days I was told that I cleared the phone interview and got a invite for onsite interview. Overstock booked the flight ticket and hotel to stay. I landed in Salt lake city Sunday night and next morning on Monday interview started at 10 am lasted till 2.30 pm with 5 rounds of interview(3 technical, 30 mins lunch social interview/discussion & 30 mins director interview). 1st Interview was taken by two gentlemen for an hour they were QA leads and interviewed me on my resume, current project & asked me all detailed questions on current work I am doing, methodologies, processes, tools and my involvement in the assignment. 2nd Interview was taken by development people and asked me detailed web application scenario based question on test design and test approach also asked few questions on selenium webdriver. 3rd one was lunch with 2 people which had formal discussions for 30 mins. 4th round was again technical QA round which consisted questions on SQL,Unix, automation. They asked me to go over java code and asked me to explain. I also asked to come up with test scenarios for one of their process. 5th round was with director and he explained health insurance package and several other information about overstock and asked me about salary expectations. at 2.30 pm cab was waiting outside the building and I was taken back to airport and then flight back home. During all this process all the people I met was so friendly and nice to me. I did not felt once that why I came to this place. During all interviews if I am not able to come to the answer that they are expecting, they would try and direct me to correct direction and help. Everyone was so professional and no arrogance at all. It was good experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Requested and offered was almost the same so did not negotiated, they offered pretty good reallocation bonus so it was win-win situation. plus they pay the Visa transfer fees if applicable.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Very brief, no real depth to the interview. I only met with two very senior people.They would clearly take any warm body. I feel that they had already made the decision to hire based upon my resume and that the interview was just a formality. The onsite interview only lasted just over an hour.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Very casual - 2 interviews. They were more interested in hiring vs. asking questions. My advice would be to be much more discerning in understanding the job they are offering, how you will be measured, etc. The job and "level of responsibility" I was presented was vastly different from what I ended up with. Probe carefully what decisions you will be able to make and if you talk about any "future benefits/raises" get it in writing.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com in July 2014.

Interview

First, a 30-minute telephone interview with one of the senior DMAs. It was relatively straightforward. Next, an on-site Excel test with an analyst on another team, which took about 1 hour - 30 minutes to analyze a dataset, and 30 minutes to present. Finally, an on-site interview with several members of the team, which took about 5 hours. Four 30-minute interviews in the morning, a 1-hour lunch break, and four more 30-minute interviews in the afternoon. I met with members on different teams, of different levels of experience and seniority. Overall, the interviews went smoothly - everyone was easy to talk to, and was very open to answering all my questions.

Interview Questions

• The only pop quiz that came up was a hypothetical scenario involving two different types of chairs that couldn't stock out. Using the pieces of information available (current inventory on hand, lead time, price, average rate of sale), I was asked to put together an ordering plan to ensure that they didn't stock out throughout the end of the year.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation - they offered me exactly what I asked for in the interview.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Overstock.com (West Valley City, UT) in May 2014.

Interview

The manager and other financial analysts I interviewed with were great! I had such a great time learning about what the company set out to be. I had a phone screen, then an onsite interview. During the onsite interview I was invited to discuss my background with some of the employees that had been there a while. I then took a scooter ride through the building!

Marketing Interview

Interview

Asked the typical questions interview questions. Was not overly difficult but was confusing and hard to converse with several people on the phone asking questions at the same time. Didn't seem overly professional. Probably won't apply there in future.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Mostly writing code examples for a panel of technical leads on the whiteboard. Although I felt I Although I knew the material well, and answered the questions well, I was knocked down for a few simple issues like missing a curly brace or not knowing the exact spelling of collection methods.

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Questions

• Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question