Overstock.com

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.8

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com.

After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer
    Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Front End Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in November 2013.

I applied directly through their website. Six weeks later, I was contacted by their HR recruiter.
    There were three interviews:
    1. One hour phone interview with the senior lead developer.
    2. Another one hour phone interview with three members of the front end development team.
    3. An hour face-to-face tech interview with four members of the front end development team/ QA team lead.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview was "Tell me about yourself", "What do you know about us?".
      The second interview was more in depth: "A time you had a disagreement. ", "What is QA?" "Software development life cycle?", "What is Agile?".
      The third interview was in a conference room with a whiteboard. Introduction to the team, brief interpersonal skills stuff. It was supposed to have a lot of white board tech questions, but after a few in depth QA questions, they seemed to forget about the whiteboard. The senior lead came in and asked "how soon can you start if we want you?"
      The offer was made two days later.

Answer Question

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

Introduced via tech recruiting company; initial phone interview with to-be manager and their manager; 2nd interview in person with same 2 ppl - 60 minutes, including technical questions (SQL working session on whiteboard). Most questions generic (what do you know about company, why do you want to work here, what are you looking for).

Interview Questions
    • They believe the most difficult question was writing a SQL query to return specific order data given their relational database model.   View Answer
    Short; I worked through a recuirter who gave me an initial offer then upped it 5% and told me this is the most they will offer; I took a small demotion and almost a 20% paycut to work here, with the promise that promotion was a near possibility.

Anonymous Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

Applied online, initial phone interview lasts about 25 minutes and they asked me questions about myself and the company alike. Briefly touched into specific questions about the position. Very friendly and very quick process. Was called the next day for a face to face. Office seemed very casual and nice. Face to face interview was a review of everything on the phone so be prepared to repeat everything in further detail.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

I had two rounds of interviews over the phone, and a third one where they flew me on site. They did a great job to be transparent about the culture, my responsibilities, and I felt made it a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I felt prepared so this didn't seem an issue for me. I felt comfortable the whole time and just talked about my experiences and skills, and that's really all they wanted to know.   Answer Question
    I took what they gave me.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com.

It was very well done. it started with a quick phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. It took about 30 mins and mostly covered my background. The next day I was scheduled for a face to face interview a couple days later. This interview was more focused on my knowledge of the job area and specifics about the role I played at former employers. This interview took about 30 mins and then I met with another director and we went into more about my philosophies on management practices and people skills. We spoke for about 30 mins and they fully explained the timeline and that there were still many applicants to interview and we were look at about 10 - 14 days to make a final decision. The hiring manager was very good about staying in touch during this time and approx. 3 weeks from my in-house interview I was called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Emphasis was placed on questions concerning management skills. Be prepared to speak openly about how you manage people and tasks as well as how you achieve results. They are looking for managers that can develop employees.   Answer Question
    We spoke candidly about my requirements at the interview. I knew that I was asking for a reasonable salary and they met that number, we really did not need to negotiate.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

They brought me in for a 4 hour interview, including lunch. First hour was with two engineering managers. They asked me to model a "professor" - "class" - "student" relationship as database tables and as JPA entities. Only complication was a many-to-many from students to classes.

Second hour was with a QA manager and dev manager. They asked me to create a class diagram for a Pilot - Flight Attendant - Passenger domain to show inheritance and polymorphism. Included a wrinkle where they introduce the pilot or flight attendant flying as a passenger "deadhead". I used composition to solve that problem, but I think decorator pattern would have been better.

Then lunch at a very nice restaurant with two project managers. Lots of time here to ask questions. But it was a bit awkward as they didn't talk freely but just question and answer over lunch.

Then interviewed with two architects. They asked me to navigate a directed graph with cycles. Study your recursion for this problem.

Final interview was with a dev manager who just answered any final questions.

They responded very quickly with a hiring decision.

Interview Questions
    • Create a class diagram for this situation:

Pilot (fly plane, get drink, consume drink)
      Flight Attendant (get drink, consume drink, serve drink)
      Passenger (get drink, consume drink, ride plane)

Now, add concept of "deadhead", which is a pilot or flight attendant riding as a passenger. Pilot or flight attendant can only be Pilot/Attendant or Deadhead mutually exclusively.

View Answer
    They asked how much I was looking for, and then countered slightly lower but included a signing bonus.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions
    • How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.

Answer Question
    This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Questions
    • The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

I got called from recruiter, then discuss with him.

He got me into their interview process, had me to do the online exam, and fill the questionaire form.

then, the recruiter arranged the phone interview with three senior person about 1 hour.

the second day of phone interview, he sent me onsite interview invite.

I did not do it.