Overstock.com

78 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Business Intelligence Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Introduced via tech recruiting company; initial phone interview with to-be manager and their manager; 2nd interview in person with same 2 ppl - 60 minutes, including technical questions (SQL working session on whiteboard). Most questions generic (what do you know about company, why do you want to work here, what are you looking for).

Interview Question – They believe the most difficult question was writing a SQL query to return specific order data given their relational database model.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Short; I worked through a recuirter who gave me an initial offer then upped it 5% and told me this is the most they will offer; I took a small demotion and almost a 20% paycut to work here, with the promise that promotion was a near possibility.

Anonymous Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, initial phone interview lasts about 25 minutes and they asked me questions about myself and the company alike. Briefly touched into specific questions about the position. Very friendly and very quick process. Was called the next day for a face to face. Office seemed very casual and nice. Face to face interview was a review of everything on the phone so be prepared to repeat everything in further detail.

Interview Question – Generalized questions, nothing surprising.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. I received a phone call 2 days later and an interview scheduled the day after that. Once that was done I scheduled a 2nd interveiw and began training the week following.

Interview Question – Explain a sittuation where you did not have the necesary tools to fix a sittaution. How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not one.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Front End Developer Interview

Front End Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Question – Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Tech Support Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Question – The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – It was very well done. it started with a quick phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. It took about 30 mins and mostly covered my background. The next day I was scheduled for a face to face interview a couple days later. This interview was more focused on my knowledge of the job area and specifics about the role I played at former employers. This interview took about 30 mins and then I met with another director and we went into more about my philosophies on management practices and people skills. We spoke for about 30 mins and they fully explained the timeline and that there were still many applicants to interview and we were look at about 10 - 14 days to make a final decision. The hiring manager was very good about staying in touch during this time and approx. 3 weeks from my in-house interview I was called with an offer.

Interview Question – Emphasis was placed on questions concerning management skills. Be prepared to speak openly about how you manage people and tasks as well as how you achieve results. They are looking for managers that can develop employees.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We spoke candidly about my requirements at the interview. I knew that I was asking for a reasonable salary and they met that number, we really did not need to negotiate.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – They brought me in for a 4 hour interview, including lunch. First hour was with two engineering managers. They asked me to model a "professor" - "class" - "student" relationship as database tables and as JPA entities. Only complication was a many-to-many from students to classes.

Second hour was with a QA manager and dev manager. They asked me to create a class diagram for a Pilot - Flight Attendant - Passenger domain to show inheritance and polymorphism. Included a wrinkle where they introduce the pilot or flight attendant flying as a passenger "deadhead". I used composition to solve that problem, but I think decorator pattern would have been better.

Then lunch at a very nice restaurant with two project managers. Lots of time here to ask questions. But it was a bit awkward as they didn't talk freely but just question and answer over lunch.

Then interviewed with two architects. They asked me to navigate a directed graph with cycles. Study your recursion for this problem.

Final interview was with a dev manager who just answered any final questions.

They responded very quickly with a hiring decision.

Interview Question – Create a class diagram for this situation:

Pilot (fly plane, get drink, consume drink)
Flight Attendant (get drink, consume drink, serve drink)
Passenger (get drink, consume drink, ride plane)

Now, add concept of "deadhead", which is a pilot or flight attendant riding as a passenger. Pilot or flight attendant can only be Pilot/Attendant or Deadhead mutually exclusively.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked how much I was looking for, and then countered slightly lower but included a signing bonus.

JAVA Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got called from recruiter, then discuss with him.

He got me into their interview process, had me to do the online exam, and fill the questionaire form.

then, the recruiter arranged the phone interview with three senior person about 1 hour.

the second day of phone interview, he sent me onsite interview invite.

Interview Question – How do you write unit test code?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not do it.

Demand Management Analyst Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Great people who stayed in constant communication via phone interview and repeded emails to set up time for initial on site interview. On site interview was thorough and lasted about 4-5 hours. Included meeting multiple managers in various areas and a practical test of computing skills, followed by a presentation to a manager of your overall thought process durring the exercise. Overall great experiance

Interview Question – The Practical test was something completely unexpected., be ready to show your competency in the area you are being hired for.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2010.

Interview Details – First, a phone call with a staffing agency (Parallel HR). The interviewers (Dev Leads) received my resume and asked to proceed to the next step which included a phone interview and essay questions. Take the essay questions seriously. After that, I was asked to spend a day interviewing the Dev Leads, Chief Architect, Directors, and VP of IT. The recruiting company wanted me to go to Goldman Sachs (bigger payout) and Overstock thought I was playing hardball on the salary so they increased it by $5,000. I also asked for and received a bonus to help pay for relocation.

Overstock will generally make an offer that day if they feel you're a strong candidate. They need Java developers and QAs like Mars needs women, but they also have to keep new hires in a budget, so don't expect a San Francisco salary in Salt Lake City.

The candidate is put up in a nice $200+ per night hotel across the street from the corporate headquarters, given a per diem (expense report), fed a nice lunch during the interview, and driven to and from the airport. Don't expect to get a lot of time to look around the valley unless you negotiate for that.

Interview Question – The interview was straightforward and much easier than big name Internet companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google). Be solid on your Java development techniques, know how Maven works, and be prepared to compare and contrast technologies you may not have heard of before. Be *passionate* about a personal project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter (staffing agency) handled the negotiations.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Overstock.com