Overstock.com

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Contacted a recruiter who forwarded my resume to the company. Then I had a phone interview with the recruiter which was not very technical. Then they scheduled a technical phone interview with 4 people. They asked standard questions like design patterns, automated testing, and architecture (describe architectural decisions in last project, my answer was not good on this one). Then they scheduled an onsite interview. They paid the flight and a decent hotel near their HQ. The onsite interview consisted of several 45min interviews with senior devs from different departments. There was also some good lunch in a nearby restaurant. For the on-site you want to prepare trees (small coding question involving recursion) and hibernate. They seem to love hibernate; I think I was asked about this in almost all of the interviews.
    Initially they did not make an offer (could be because they did not think I would stay there with my personal situation), but then made me an offer a few months (!) later. I declined the offer since I already had another one.

Interview Questions
    • ? Describe a recent project:
      ! me describing project
      ? What where the most difficult architectural decisions?

View Answer
    • How would you write a function which prints out all the nodes of a tree.   View Answer

Already accepted another offer.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in February 2010.

First, a phone call with a staffing agency (Parallel HR). The interviewers (Dev Leads) received my resume and asked to proceed to the next step which included a phone interview and essay questions. Take the essay questions seriously. After that, I was asked to spend a day interviewing the Dev Leads, Chief Architect, Directors, and VP of IT. The recruiting company wanted me to go to Goldman Sachs (bigger payout) and Overstock thought I was playing hardball on the salary so they increased it by $5,000. I also asked for and received a bonus to help pay for relocation.

Overstock will generally make an offer that day if they feel you're a strong candidate. They need Java developers and QAs like Mars needs women, but they also have to keep new hires in a budget, so don't expect a San Francisco salary in Salt Lake City.

The candidate is put up in a nice $200+ per night hotel across the street from the corporate headquarters, given a per diem (expense report), fed a nice lunch during the interview, and driven to and from the airport. Don't expect to get a lot of time to look around the valley unless you negotiate for that.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was straightforward and much easier than big name Internet companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google). Be solid on your Java development techniques, know how Maven works, and be prepared to compare and contrast technologies you may not have heard of before. Be *passionate* about a personal project.   Answer Question
    The recruiter (staffing agency) handled the negotiations.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

Recruiter convinced me to interview despite my better judgement. Overstock has a bad rep locally as a bit of a sweat shop and one that tends to lay people off regularly. My recruiter said things had changed in the past few years. I arrived around 11am and met with 2 senior level guys. They had me write code for a binary tree traversal on the board and asked a series of questions. After that, 2 different guys took me to lunch. Lunch seemed geared around getting to know me as a person and didn't involve and traditional interview questions. It was very casual. After lunch, I got a small tour of the building and met with 3 other guy who grilled me technically for a while. Lastly, I met with a higher up (VP type) and was given the Overstock sales pitch. Overall, I thought the interview was fairly easy despite being a 4 hour ordeal.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary sorted tree of ints, write code (java) on the board to traverse the tree to determine if a given value is in the tree.   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

First interview followed by second 'writing test' interview two days later. Received notice of hire later that day.

Interview Questions
    Pay is poor for the position. No negotiation.

Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Overstock.com in December 2009.

The interview consited in drug test and skills too. this was performed by the previous manager in charge of that area.

Interview Questions
    • they asked me what to do in case of... how to handle issues with employees...   View Answer
    • how should i handle the stress and a lot of people.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in November 2009.

- Got contacted by the recruiter
    - A week later I was interviewed on the phone by 3 people. Interview lasted for one hour.
    - The next day I was invited for an onsite interview at SLC office. The prompt response was appreciated.
    - A week later I interviewed 10 people over the course of 5 hours. The first interview was very technical. The other interviews talked about different topics, ranging from technical to software processes and management to life in Salt Lake City.
    - Most of the people at the interview were respectful and gracious.

Interview Questions
    • A binary tree search. The main idea was to get the recursive solution properly.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process. More like take it or leave it. Not sure if this is the case because the recruiting was done through a recruiting service. So, make sure to have a clear idea of what salary you want. Do not expect stock options, clear bonus structure, or anything related to stock purchase plans. The main benefit is the 401K in case you value such a thing.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in November 2009.

I spoke with someone on the phone. I then had a one on one interview, after which I took a few PC based tests, such as typing and vocabulary. It was very smooth and simple.

Interview Questions
    • I'm afraid I don't remember any difficult questions. I found it a bit challenging to answer the same type of questions repeatedly and provide good answers, however.   Answer Question
    I didn't have a negotiation phase as that's not my forte when applying for work.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2009.

Recruiter called and asked if I knew anyone who would be interested in a Furniture Buyer position. I told her I would get back if I knew anyone. She called back and asked if I would be interested. I sent my resume in and received a call within two weeks for an interview. My first interview was with the DMM and the Director. It lasted for about an hour and a half and was pretty detailed in what I had accomplished in my other jobs. Then they called back for a second interview with five different people from other departments as well as a SVP. Overall, I could tell right away the people here were talented and knew this business well. They were very conciencious with the intellectual details of determining my abilities in math, product knowledge, retail, industry contacts and what my immediate plans would be for this job. I felt challenged and felt that my understanding of the business was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    I did not need this job. I already had a very similar job with similar pay, but I came here for the opportunity to grow. Looking back, maybe I should have asked for more, but really the opportunity for growth is what attracted me the most. The pay follow those who perform.

SEO Copy Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2009.

The hiring and interview process was professional and relatively painless. I was contacted by email after submitting my resume and scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was short and I was informed about the aspects of the job. I also scheduled an in-person interview. The in-person interview was conducted by several people from the department. It was high-energy and comfortable. The work atmosphere seemed enjoyable. I was asked several standard questions about my experience and interests and then perfomed a short skills test. I was called and offered the job several days later.

Interview Questions
    • Unfortunately, I can't remeber specific questions from my interview process.   Answer Question

Internal Search Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in September 2009.

Great Interviewers, Very professional. GREAT COMPANY to work for!