Overstock.com

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty casual, not much of a structure. Had about 4 2-on-1s, then a 30-minute with the SVP. Questions ranged from experience questions to case questions to quick-math questions. Seems like each interviewer had his or her own things that they looked for, nothing consistent. Probably the largest focus was on my analytic abilities - what tools I had used, what data I had worked with, etc.

Interview Question – Most unexpected quesiton: what is 7% of 110?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much wiggle room - was able to negotiate an additional 7%, but not much.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with initial phone screens, then brought in for several 2-on-1 interviews. Some of the easier interview questions I've been asked. Nothing extremely technical, more focused on fit. They do have a lot of business scenario questions - stuff focused on how you think about margin, volume, costs, etc.

Interview Question – What is 7% of 110?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a little, not much.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – My first interview consisted of a phone interview with a current Marketing Analyst within the company. This interview covered the basic statistics understanding as well as basic web metrics understanding. Mostly personal questions were asked and then advice was given for the second follow-up interview that would be in person.

A couple weeks passed from phone interview to in-person interview. In this interview I was given 20 minutes to prepare a presentation for the analytics team. I had two options one being a printout of the Overstock.com homepage and I was to determine what enhancements or changes could be made and the other being a set of data for 3 weeks and I was to create metrics and present them. I chose the data set. I presented my findings to a group of about 6-7 and answered questions from each of them regarding my resume and skills. After the presentation I was then 1-1 with the manager and asked several more questions. Two weeks later I was informed a more qualified individual had been selected. Good luck.

Interview Question – In the conversion metric the revenues are increasing but the revenue per order is decreasing. What might be the cause?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2009.

Interview Details – Asked what my schooling was. Asked a lot of wierd questions like how many golf balls can you fit in this room and how would you do it? What my skills are in computers. What would you change on the website if you could. What kind of errors have you seen on the website, and how would you fix them.

Interview Questions

• How many golf balls can you fit in this room and how would you do it.   View Answer
  • what is your favorite food   View Answer

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!