Overstock.com

47 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – Basic typing test and answer 5 questions like "what would you do if, or name a time that"

Interview Question – pretty easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Business Interview

Business
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple rounds of phone and in-person interviews - kind of felt like recruiting didn't have much communication with each other. I was called and emailed by several different people who had no idea I had already spoken with someone.

Interview Question – Internet e-commerce questions, coming from outside the industry it was tough to be specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero negotiations.

Photo Editor Interview

Photo Editor
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Question – Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Software Tester
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Question – How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
     I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – There was one interview and it went smoothly. They tried to make it seem like it was a great company to work for and it is not. Its deceiving and fake to a T. Dont believe their lies.

Interview Question – I didnt get any difficult questions on the interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing ! It was a easy interview but they will fool you. The company is not who they seem to be they are all a bunch of executives who care nothing about you and I mean NOTHING !

Trainer/Project Implementation O University Interview

Trainer/Project Implementation O University
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. I was scheduled for an onsite interview within the week. I interviewed with two co-managers simultaneously. The asked a variety of questions about my work history and my fit for their jobs. I asked a lot about the job and company. The then gave me ten minutes to come up with a impromptu training and I had to give them a ten minute training. Afterwards they had me meet with the other two members of the training team, who asked me some more questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Question – They asked questions about spreadsheet reports and data information that I had no clue about, I just answered to the best of my ability and tried to ensure them that I was capable of fulfilling their needs - basically I tried my best to make it seem like I knew what I was doing and I hoped that they bought it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me a different position than I applied for. I tried to negotiate salary as they were already offering me everything else I was interested in, but they said that the position couldn't justify any increase. I first for a specific salary and expected a refusal, when I got one I tried for a compromise, but they seemed unwilling or unable to budge. I felt like they were already offering the high end of my position, since it wasn't the position I applied for. They assured me numerous times that my position would give me a lot of opportunity to impress a lot of high up people and if I did so I would have a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within a short time (1 year). That was acceptable to me.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Business Intelligence Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – I went through a staffing agency and said I was looking for full time work and they worked with me to interview with Overstock.com.

The staffing agency did all the interfacing for me outside of the interviews (including scheduling the interviews)

For the interview, be prepared to answer SQL questions. I would recommend taking a few online SQL assessments just to brush up on the types of aggregations, joins, and the like. and be ready to write it all out by hand on a whiteboard (the assessment they give is not on a computer)

The process is fast for me, just 2 interviews. There was a general interview to get to know me and then a skill one to see how good my SQL was. After that they had an offer to me; all within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Why do you want to get into retail and do you even want to move to Salt Lake (I personally think its a great city but the interviewer did not)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I went through a staffing agency (Recommended if you don't know anyone who works here) and they handled all the negotiations for me. I named my price and they matched it so that was it.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. I received a phone call 2 days later and an interview scheduled the day after that. Once that was done I scheduled a 2nd interveiw and began training the week following.

Interview Question – Explain a sittuation where you did not have the necesary tools to fix a sittaution. How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not one.

Front End Developer Interview

Front End Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Question – Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Tech Support Interview

Tech Support
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Question – The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!