Overstock.com

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted a recruiter who forwarded my resume to the company. Then I had a phone interview with the recruiter which was not very technical. Then they scheduled a technical phone interview with 4 people. They asked standard questions like design patterns, automated testing, and architecture (describe architectural decisions in last project, my answer was not good on this one). Then they scheduled an onsite interview. They paid the flight and a decent hotel near their HQ. The onsite interview consisted of several 45min interviews with senior devs from different departments. There was also some good lunch in a nearby restaurant. For the on-site you want to prepare trees (small coding question involving recursion) and hibernate. They seem to love hibernate; I think I was asked about this in almost all of the interviews.
Initially they did not make an offer (could be because they did not think I would stay there with my personal situation), but then made me an offer a few months (!) later. I declined the offer since I already had another one.

Interview Questions

• ? Describe a recent project:
    ! me describing project
    ? What where the most difficult architectural decisions?
      View Answer
  • How would you write a function which prints out all the nodes of a tree.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Already accepted another offer.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in March 2009.

Interview Details – interviewed with couple of groups and then one group may choose you or you can pick one of the group you are interested in.

Interview Question – web service question   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – get another offer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in November 2009.

Interview Details – - Got contacted by the recruiter
- A week later I was interviewed on the phone by 3 people. Interview lasted for one hour.
- The next day I was invited for an onsite interview at SLC office. The prompt response was appreciated.
- A week later I interviewed 10 people over the course of 5 hours. The first interview was very technical. The other interviews talked about different topics, ranging from technical to software processes and management to life in Salt Lake City.
- Most of the people at the interview were respectful and gracious.

Interview Question – A binary tree search. The main idea was to get the recursive solution properly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation process. More like take it or leave it. Not sure if this is the case because the recruiting was done through a recruiting service. So, make sure to have a clear idea of what salary you want. Do not expect stock options, clear bonus structure, or anything related to stock purchase plans. The main benefit is the 401K in case you value such a thing.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in March 2011.

Interview Details – Three or four guys on the phone, one primary interviewer. Typical resume/background questions then technical interview consisted of Java questions like
- What makes the String class unique?
- What do you need to do when you override equals method? What happens if you don't do it?
- How do you implement equals? Any attributes that should not be included, if so when and why?
- How do you avoid the lazy initialization error in Hibernate?
- Difference between inner/outer joins

Interview Question – How is the String class unique?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2009.

Interview Details – First talked to recruiter. Then filled out a technical questionnaire and submitted it back to Overstock. Then I had a phone interview with a few technical people. Then they flew me to Salt Lake City for an all day interview with various different people.

Interview Question – A technical question involving a tree data structure   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary and starting bonus and time to start

Interviews for Top Jobs at Overstock.com

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees and interview candidates.