Overstock.com Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions in Utah

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Contacted a recruiter who forwarded my resume to the company. Then I had a phone interview with the recruiter which was not very technical. Then they scheduled a technical phone interview with 4 people. They asked standard questions like design patterns, automated testing, and architecture (describe architectural decisions in last project, my answer was not good on this one). Then they scheduled an onsite interview. They paid the flight and a decent hotel near their HQ. The onsite interview consisted of several 45min interviews with senior devs from different departments. There was also some good lunch in a nearby restaurant. For the on-site you want to prepare trees (small coding question involving recursion) and hibernate. They seem to love hibernate; I think I was asked about this in almost all of the interviews.
Initially they did not make an offer (could be because they did not think I would stay there with my personal situation), but then made me an offer a few months (!) later. I declined the offer since I already had another one.

Interview Questions
  • ? Describe a recent project:
    ! me describing project
    ? What where the most difficult architectural decisions?
      View Answer
  • How would you write a function which prints out all the nodes of a tree.   View Answer

Already accepted another offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Overstock.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in November 2009.

- Got contacted by the recruiter
    - A week later I was interviewed on the phone by 3 people. Interview lasted for one hour.
    - The next day I was invited for an onsite interview at SLC office. The prompt response was appreciated.
    - A week later I interviewed 10 people over the course of 5 hours. The first interview was very technical. The other interviews talked about different topics, ranging from technical to software processes and management to life in Salt Lake City.
    - Most of the people at the interview were respectful and gracious.

Interview Questions
    • A binary tree search. The main idea was to get the recursive solution properly.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process. More like take it or leave it. Not sure if this is the case because the recruiting was done through a recruiting service. So, make sure to have a clear idea of what salary you want. Do not expect stock options, clear bonus structure, or anything related to stock purchase plans. The main benefit is the 401K in case you value such a thing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Overstock.com in March 2009.

interviewed with couple of groups and then one group may choose you or you can pick one of the group you are interested in.

get another offer