Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah

2.8

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Overstock.com.

Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Questions
    • Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com.

I went through a staffing agency and said I was looking for full time work and they worked with me to interview with Overstock.com.

The staffing agency did all the interfacing for me outside of the interviews (including scheduling the interviews)

For the interview, be prepared to answer SQL questions. I would recommend taking a few online SQL assessments just to brush up on the types of aggregations, joins, and the like. and be ready to write it all out by hand on a whiteboard (the assessment they give is not on a computer)

The process is fast for me, just 2 interviews. There was a general interview to get to know me and then a skill one to see how good my SQL was. After that they had an offer to me; all within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get into retail and do you even want to move to Salt Lake (I personally think its a great city but the interviewer did not)   Answer Question
    I went through a staffing agency (Recommended if you don't know anyone who works here) and they handled all the negotiations for me. I named my price and they matched it so that was it.

Trainer/Project Implementation O University Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in December 2013.

Applied online. I was scheduled for an onsite interview within the week. I interviewed with two co-managers simultaneously. The asked a variety of questions about my work history and my fit for their jobs. I asked a lot about the job and company. The then gave me ten minutes to come up with a impromptu training and I had to give them a ten minute training. Afterwards they had me meet with the other two members of the training team, who asked me some more questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about spreadsheet reports and data information that I had no clue about, I just answered to the best of my ability and tried to ensure them that I was capable of fulfilling their needs - basically I tried my best to make it seem like I knew what I was doing and I hoped that they bought it.   Answer Question
    They offered me a different position than I applied for. I tried to negotiate salary as they were already offering me everything else I was interested in, but they said that the position couldn't justify any increase. I first for a specific salary and expected a refusal, when I got one I tried for a compromise, but they seemed unwilling or unable to budge. I felt like they were already offering the high end of my position, since it wasn't the position I applied for. They assured me numerous times that my position would give me a lot of opportunity to impress a lot of high up people and if I did so I would have a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within a short time (1 year). That was acceptable to me.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com.

After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer
    Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2013.

I had two rounds of interviews over the phone, and a third one where they flew me on site. They did a great job to be transparent about the culture, my responsibilities, and I felt made it a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I felt prepared so this didn't seem an issue for me. I felt comfortable the whole time and just talked about my experiences and skills, and that's really all they wanted to know.   Answer Question
    I took what they gave me.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com.

It was very well done. it started with a quick phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. It took about 30 mins and mostly covered my background. The next day I was scheduled for a face to face interview a couple days later. This interview was more focused on my knowledge of the job area and specifics about the role I played at former employers. This interview took about 30 mins and then I met with another director and we went into more about my philosophies on management practices and people skills. We spoke for about 30 mins and they fully explained the timeline and that there were still many applicants to interview and we were look at about 10 - 14 days to make a final decision. The hiring manager was very good about staying in touch during this time and approx. 3 weeks from my in-house interview I was called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Emphasis was placed on questions concerning management skills. Be prepared to speak openly about how you manage people and tasks as well as how you achieve results. They are looking for managers that can develop employees.   Answer Question
    We spoke candidly about my requirements at the interview. I knew that I was asking for a reasonable salary and they met that number, we really did not need to negotiate.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

They brought me in for a 4 hour interview, including lunch. First hour was with two engineering managers. They asked me to model a "professor" - "class" - "student" relationship as database tables and as JPA entities. Only complication was a many-to-many from students to classes.

Second hour was with a QA manager and dev manager. They asked me to create a class diagram for a Pilot - Flight Attendant - Passenger domain to show inheritance and polymorphism. Included a wrinkle where they introduce the pilot or flight attendant flying as a passenger "deadhead". I used composition to solve that problem, but I think decorator pattern would have been better.

Then lunch at a very nice restaurant with two project managers. Lots of time here to ask questions. But it was a bit awkward as they didn't talk freely but just question and answer over lunch.

Then interviewed with two architects. They asked me to navigate a directed graph with cycles. Study your recursion for this problem.

Final interview was with a dev manager who just answered any final questions.

They responded very quickly with a hiring decision.

Interview Questions
    • Create a class diagram for this situation:

Pilot (fly plane, get drink, consume drink)
      Flight Attendant (get drink, consume drink, serve drink)
      Passenger (get drink, consume drink, ride plane)

Now, add concept of "deadhead", which is a pilot or flight attendant riding as a passenger. Pilot or flight attendant can only be Pilot/Attendant or Deadhead mutually exclusively.
        View Answer
    They asked how much I was looking for, and then countered slightly lower but included a signing bonus.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions
    • How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.
        Answer Question
    This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Questions
    • The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Demand Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in February 2013.

Great people who stayed in constant communication via phone interview and repeded emails to set up time for initial on site interview. On site interview was thorough and lasted about 4-5 hours. Included meeting multiple managers in various areas and a practical test of computing skills, followed by a presentation to a manager of your overall thought process durring the exercise. Overall great experiance

Interview Questions
    • The Practical test was something completely unexpected., be ready to show your competency in the area you are being hired for.   Answer Question