Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah

2.8

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in February 2008.

I first did a phone interview with my boss-to-be that took about an hour. They called me back the next day that they had decided to schedule an in person interview. That interview started as a one-on-one with just the manager for about an hour, then he brought in three members of the team to talk to me and test me skills, which lasted about another hour. Finally, he took me to lunch with the SVP of Technology which was more informal in nature. About three hours in total from when I got there to when I left. They offered me the job after we had lunch.

Interview Questions
    • How would you set up a server to act as bastion host?   View Answer
    I came in through a recruiter, and I let him handle the salary negotiations.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2009.

Recruiter called and asked if I knew anyone who would be interested in a Furniture Buyer position. I told her I would get back if I knew anyone. She called back and asked if I would be interested. I sent my resume in and received a call within two weeks for an interview. My first interview was with the DMM and the Director. It lasted for about an hour and a half and was pretty detailed in what I had accomplished in my other jobs. Then they called back for a second interview with five different people from other departments as well as a SVP. Overall, I could tell right away the people here were talented and knew this business well. They were very conciencious with the intellectual details of determining my abilities in math, product knowledge, retail, industry contacts and what my immediate plans would be for this job. I felt challenged and felt that my understanding of the business was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    I did not need this job. I already had a very similar job with similar pay, but I came here for the opportunity to grow. Looking back, maybe I should have asked for more, but really the opportunity for growth is what attracted me the most. The pay follow those who perform.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in December 2010.

The recruiter contacted me and had me fill out a questionnaire. They contacted me a few days later for a phone interview with two people. I was flown in a week later for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    I received a solid offer. No negotiation necessary.

Graphic/Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in July 2011.

Group interview with team members. Portfolio review, skills assessment, style questions. Follow-up interview with team leader and department leader. Brief and unrehearsed interview, mainly getting a feel for personality mixing. Required multiple follow-up phone calls before final decision was made with a canned HR email.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite style   View Answer
    • Describe your process for creating a portfolio piece   View Answer

Software Developer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in April 2011.

First round
    Telephonic round
    - Questions asked are mostly around resume

Second round
    All day onsite Interview
    - Algorithm and data structure
    - Java, OOAP, Webservices and hibernate
    - Lunch inteview
    - Database, sql, pl/sql
    - HR

Interview Questions
    • Not too difficult but questions Implement queue using stack and related to binary trees   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Questions
    • The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions
    • How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.

Answer Question
    This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com.

I went through a staffing agency and said I was looking for full time work and they worked with me to interview with Overstock.com.

The staffing agency did all the interfacing for me outside of the interviews (including scheduling the interviews)

For the interview, be prepared to answer SQL questions. I would recommend taking a few online SQL assessments just to brush up on the types of aggregations, joins, and the like. and be ready to write it all out by hand on a whiteboard (the assessment they give is not on a computer)

The process is fast for me, just 2 interviews. There was a general interview to get to know me and then a skill one to see how good my SQL was. After that they had an offer to me; all within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get into retail and do you even want to move to Salt Lake (I personally think its a great city but the interviewer did not)   Answer Question
    I went through a staffing agency (Recommended if you don't know anyone who works here) and they handled all the negotiations for me. I named my price and they matched it so that was it.

Trainer/Project Implementation O University Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in December 2013.

Applied online. I was scheduled for an onsite interview within the week. I interviewed with two co-managers simultaneously. The asked a variety of questions about my work history and my fit for their jobs. I asked a lot about the job and company. The then gave me ten minutes to come up with a impromptu training and I had to give them a ten minute training. Afterwards they had me meet with the other two members of the training team, who asked me some more questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about spreadsheet reports and data information that I had no clue about, I just answered to the best of my ability and tried to ensure them that I was capable of fulfilling their needs - basically I tried my best to make it seem like I knew what I was doing and I hoped that they bought it.   Answer Question
    They offered me a different position than I applied for. I tried to negotiate salary as they were already offering me everything else I was interested in, but they said that the position couldn't justify any increase. I first for a specific salary and expected a refusal, when I got one I tried for a compromise, but they seemed unwilling or unable to budge. I felt like they were already offering the high end of my position, since it wasn't the position I applied for. They assured me numerous times that my position would give me a lot of opportunity to impress a lot of high up people and if I did so I would have a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within a short time (1 year). That was acceptable to me.

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2013.

Got an email from HR with position details and a questionnaire about my skills and experience on testing process, tools etc. Then got to round 2 - phone interview with 2 test leads for about an hour . The interviewers were good. Got an email nxt day from recruiter that they are moving fwd with others. Really disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Walk through my CV and my current duties
      2) Technical questions on SQL, UNIX, basic diff in QTP and load runner, webserver - I answered everything

Answer Question