Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.8

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in February 2008.

Interview

I first did a phone interview with my boss-to-be that took about an hour. They called me back the next day that they had decided to schedule an in person interview. That interview started as a one-on-one with just the manager for about an hour, then he brought in three members of the team to talk to me and test me skills, which lasted about another hour. Finally, he took me to lunch with the SVP of Technology which was more informal in nature. About three hours in total from when I got there to when I left. They offered me the job after we had lunch.

Interview Questions

• How would you set up a server to act as bastion host?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I came in through a recruiter, and I let him handle the salary negotiations.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2009.

Interview

Recruiter called and asked if I knew anyone who would be interested in a Furniture Buyer position. I told her I would get back if I knew anyone. She called back and asked if I would be interested. I sent my resume in and received a call within two weeks for an interview. My first interview was with the DMM and the Director. It lasted for about an hour and a half and was pretty detailed in what I had accomplished in my other jobs. Then they called back for a second interview with five different people from other departments as well as a SVP. Overall, I could tell right away the people here were talented and knew this business well. They were very conciencious with the intellectual details of determining my abilities in math, product knowledge, retail, industry contacts and what my immediate plans would be for this job. I felt challenged and felt that my understanding of the business was very helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not need this job. I already had a very similar job with similar pay, but I came here for the opportunity to grow. Looking back, maybe I should have asked for more, but really the opportunity for growth is what attracted me the most. The pay follow those who perform.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2010.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and had me fill out a questionnaire. They contacted me a few days later for a phone interview with two people. I was flown in a week later for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I received a solid offer. No negotiation necessary.

Graphic/Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2011.

Interview

Group interview with team members. Portfolio review, skills assessment, style questions. Follow-up interview with team leader and department leader. Brief and unrehearsed interview, mainly getting a feel for personality mixing. Required multiple follow-up phone calls before final decision was made with a canned HR email.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite style   1 Answer
    • Describe your process for creating a portfolio piece   1 Answer

Software Developer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2011.

Interview

First round
    Telephonic round
    - Questions asked are mostly around resume

Second round
    All day onsite Interview
    - Algorithm and data structure
    - Java, OOAP, Webservices and hibernate
    - Lunch inteview
    - Database, sql, pl/sql
    - HR

Interview Questions

• Not too difficult but questions Implement queue using stack and related to binary trees   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Questions

• The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions

• How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.

Answer Question

Negotiation

This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

Is a 4 1/2 hour interview. You talk with two or three people at a time, and they rotate every hour or so. They do take you out to lunch. They ask difficult coding questions, you might even call them trick questions. You must consider edge cases in your answer. It seems that the "textbook" solution is often not the correct solution due to the edge cases in their scenarios.

Interview Questions

• What are some important things to consider when designing a RESTful web service?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Mostly writing code examples for a panel of technical leads on the whiteboard. Although I felt I Although I knew the material well, and answered the questions well, I was knocked down for a few simple issues like missing a curly brace or not knowing the exact spelling of collection methods.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2012.

Interview

it actually went pretty well. and for the 1st 2.5 years working here was awesome BUT NO LONGER. you have been warned. they are doing 'bait and switch' and the new management team are a bunch of tempermental idiots (and that would include the new co president stormy simon) who only got their position but butt kissing

Interview Questions

• i dont recall it was 2.5 years ago   1 Answer

Negotiation

who knows-no negotiation. 'take it or leave it'.