Overstock.com

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

55 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Overstock.com in November 2009.

I spoke with someone on the phone. I then had a one on one interview, after which I took a few PC based tests, such as typing and vocabulary. It was very smooth and simple.

Interview Questions
    • I'm afraid I don't remember any difficult questions. I found it a bit challenging to answer the same type of questions repeatedly and provide good answers, however.   Answer Question
    I didn't have a negotiation phase as that's not my forte when applying for work.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

First interview followed by second 'writing test' interview two days later. Received notice of hire later that day.

Interview Questions
    Pay is poor for the position. No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tooele, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tooele, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Overstock.com in September 2009.

They call you for an interview, you go they ask you a couple of questions and do a typing test.

Interview Questions
    • I you could have dinner with someone either alive or dead who would it be and why.   Answer Question
    at the time of intervie I was asked what shift i wanted and when they called to offer the job, they said "oh by the way the day shift is not available, you will have to work the night shift." I needed a job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in October 2011.

There was one interview and it went smoothly. They tried to make it seem like it was a great company to work for and it is not. Its deceiving and fake to a T. Dont believe their lies.

Interview Questions
    • I didnt get any difficult questions on the interview.   View Answer
    Nothing ! It was a easy interview but they will fool you. The company is not who they seem to be they are all a bunch of executives who care nothing about you and I mean NOTHING !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

Basic typing test and answer 5 questions like "what would you do if, or name a time that"

NA

Pick and Pack - Stock Control Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Overstock.com in February 2012.

They hire through Prologistix. The people at Prologistix will take you into a little room and give you a run through of what they do with an RF to pick item, however that training is only partially correct. It is not set up so that you can really get an idea of how the true operations work. There wasn't really an interview for this position. The staffing service has their own interviewing process and may ask if you have any experience, but you don't need experience for this job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any experience in a warehouse?   View Answer
    They do not negotiate and they have people working at Overstock whom have worked at the company for 3 or more years and still have not been offered a position. Overstock RARELY hires anyone, but have plenty of people from the temp service.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Overstock.com.

After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer
    Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in August 2012.

I applied online. I received a phone call 2 days later and an interview scheduled the day after that. Once that was done I scheduled a 2nd interveiw and began training the week following.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a sittuation where you did not have the necesary tools to fix a sittaution. How did you handle it.   Answer Question
    There was not one.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview was pretty casual, not much of a structure. Had about 4 2-on-1s, then a 30-minute with the SVP. Questions ranged from experience questions to case questions to quick-math questions. Seems like each interviewer had his or her own things that they looked for, nothing consistent. Probably the largest focus was on my analytic abilities - what tools I had used, what data I had worked with, etc.

Interview Questions
    Not much wiggle room - was able to negotiate an additional 7%, but not much.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

Recruiter convinced me to interview despite my better judgement. Overstock has a bad rep locally as a bit of a sweat shop and one that tends to lay people off regularly. My recruiter said things had changed in the past few years. I arrived around 11am and met with 2 senior level guys. They had me write code for a binary tree traversal on the board and asked a series of questions. After that, 2 different guys took me to lunch. Lunch seemed geared around getting to know me as a person and didn't involve and traditional interview questions. It was very casual. After lunch, I got a small tour of the building and met with 3 other guy who grilled me technically for a while. Lastly, I met with a higher up (VP type) and was given the Overstock sales pitch. Overall, I thought the interview was fairly easy despite being a 4 hour ordeal.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary sorted tree of ints, write code (java) on the board to traverse the tree to determine if a given value is in the tree.   Answer Question