Overstock.com

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Getting the Interview

53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

Interview Details – Basic typing test and answer 5 questions like "what would you do if, or name a time that"

Interview Question – pretty easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2011.

Interview Details – There was one interview and it went smoothly. They tried to make it seem like it was a great company to work for and it is not. Its deceiving and fake to a T. Dont believe their lies.

Interview Question – I didnt get any difficult questions on the interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing ! It was a easy interview but they will fool you. The company is not who they seem to be they are all a bunch of executives who care nothing about you and I mean NOTHING !

Tooele, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2009.

Interview Details – They call you for an interview, you go they ask you a couple of questions and do a typing test.

Interview Question – I you could have dinner with someone either alive or dead who would it be and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – at the time of intervie I was asked what shift i wanted and when they called to offer the job, they said "oh by the way the day shift is not available, you will have to work the night shift." I needed a job

Copywriter Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

Interview Details – First interview followed by second 'writing test' interview two days later. Received notice of hire later that day.

Interview Question – Nothing. Easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is poor for the position. No negotiation.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com in November 2009.

Interview Details – I spoke with someone on the phone. I then had a one on one interview, after which I took a few PC based tests, such as typing and vocabulary. It was very smooth and simple.

Interview Question – I'm afraid I don't remember any difficult questions. I found it a bit challenging to answer the same type of questions repeatedly and provide good answers, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't have a negotiation phase as that's not my forte when applying for work.

Web Designer Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter got in touch with me and then asked me to submit a document answering 10 questions about certain things in the field (i.e. what tools I used and why, experience with code, etc.). Then I moved onto a phone interview, which they offered me a 1:1 interview the next day. I went to the 1:1, it consisted of 5 members from Overstock, they offered me the job the next day.

Interview Question – What have you learned in the past year?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really negotiate, the recruiter mostly did that for me.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty casual, not much of a structure. Had about 4 2-on-1s, then a 30-minute with the SVP. Questions ranged from experience questions to case questions to quick-math questions. Seems like each interviewer had his or her own things that they looked for, nothing consistent. Probably the largest focus was on my analytic abilities - what tools I had used, what data I had worked with, etc.

Interview Question – Most unexpected quesiton: what is 7% of 110?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much wiggle room - was able to negotiate an additional 7%, but not much.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with initial phone screens, then brought in for several 2-on-1 interviews. Some of the easier interview questions I've been asked. Nothing extremely technical, more focused on fit. They do have a lot of business scenario questions - stuff focused on how you think about margin, volume, costs, etc.

Interview Question – What is 7% of 110?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a little, not much.

Pick and Pack - Stock Control Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – They hire through Prologistix. The people at Prologistix will take you into a little room and give you a run through of what they do with an RF to pick item, however that training is only partially correct. It is not set up so that you can really get an idea of how the true operations work. There wasn't really an interview for this position. The staffing service has their own interviewing process and may ask if you have any experience, but you don't need experience for this job.

Interview Question – Do you have any experience in a warehouse?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate and they have people working at Overstock whom have worked at the company for 3 or more years and still have not been offered a position. Overstock RARELY hires anyone, but have plenty of people from the temp service.

Manager Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in January 2008.

Interview Details – At Overstock, interviews are arranged to get you with a pack of people at the same time 3 or 4 at least.
So be prepared to be very general in your answers until you get a feel of the people that are interviewing you.
Do your research about Overstock, but focus on Naked Short Selling and Patrick Byrne's fight against Wall Street, praise it and you'll be fine.
Buy something from Overstock before the interview and mention it.
There is a great advantage if you are from Darmouth, Stanford and BYU.

Interview Question – What do you know about Naked Short Selling   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do your research and ask for the highest salary you can think of, because there won't be any future promotions or raises.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Overstock.com

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!

Overstock.com Videos

Overstock.com – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are Overstock.com is a company that cares. Our business model is based on helping our customers save money; and every customer matters. The same goes with our associates. At Overstock.com you are not just… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Overstock.com interview questions and advice in Utah. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Overstock.com employees and interview candidates.