Overstock.com Interview Questions & Reviews in Utah

53 interviews

2.8

53 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

Basic typing test and answer 5 questions like "what would you do if, or name a time that"

NA

Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2013.

Multiple rounds of phone and in-person interviews - kind of felt like recruiting didn't have much communication with each other. I was called and emailed by several different people who had no idea I had already spoken with someone.

Interview Questions
    • Internet e-commerce questions, coming from outside the industry it was tough to be specific.   Answer Question
    Zero negotiations.

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Work in Photoshop and speak one on one with Zach the Editor leda.

Interview Questions
    • Technical skills in photoshop. Personal stuff was easy, just stressful to have someone watch you work in PS.   Answer Question

Software Developer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2012.

They gave me some "homework" to complete - didn't take long. I think there was one phone screen, then an onsite interview. The whole process was very fast; they make a decision with a day or two of the onsite interview, and they want an answer in a week.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall. I do remember they asked me to write some code on a white board, and the correct way to solve the problem was recursive.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They made an offer, and I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2011.

There was one interview and it went smoothly. They tried to make it seem like it was a great company to work for and it is not. Its deceiving and fake to a T. Dont believe their lies.

Interview Questions
    • I didnt get any difficult questions on the interview.   View Answer
    Nothing ! It was a easy interview but they will fool you. The company is not who they seem to be they are all a bunch of executives who care nothing about you and I mean NOTHING !

Software Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

I sent my resume through their homepage and received a response almost a month later. The response was a standard thank you for applying and attached a questionnaire with basic QA questions (ex: tell us what integration testing means to you, what is your experience with Linux, etc). I filled this out then got an email maybe two months later to set up a one hour phone interview. The phone interview was with two people, one was a senior software tester and the other gentleman I don't remember (he didn't talk too much). The person interviewing me sold me on the company, he was so easy to talk to and very encouraging when I didn't know an answer. The questions consisted of how I would test a certain scenario (how to develope a test case, etc). Asked me basic quesitons of SQL and Linux (how to create a table, update, cd, ls, top, ssh, very basic questions).

Then about a week later I got an onsite interview which lasted 4 hours. You interview with two people for an hour, then another two for an hour, then lunch (this is a 'social interview'), then another one hour interview with two people, then a brief interview with a director. There are many questions in these interviews and some of the people asking questions are extremely knowledgeable in the IT field. Keep this in mind and don't BS anything. If you don't know tell them. Be as detailed as possible when they ask you about testing certain things. You will be asked on how to test certain areas of web applications, databases, and other things that I can't remember. Everyone was extremely professional and very nice. If I didn't know something they would generally try to nudge me in the correct location.

Interview Questions
    • How do you test information from our site that goes into a database?
           I thought this was a vague question so I was stumbling around in the dark a lot.

Most quesitons were expected, all focused on testing, SQL, and Linux.
        Answer Question
    This is one of my first jobs with a major company so I didn't negotiate at all. I would recommend you do though since they seem very flexible and hungry for good talent.

Trainer/Project Implementation O University Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in December 2013.

Applied online. I was scheduled for an onsite interview within the week. I interviewed with two co-managers simultaneously. The asked a variety of questions about my work history and my fit for their jobs. I asked a lot about the job and company. The then gave me ten minutes to come up with a impromptu training and I had to give them a ten minute training. Afterwards they had me meet with the other two members of the training team, who asked me some more questions about my background and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • They asked questions about spreadsheet reports and data information that I had no clue about, I just answered to the best of my ability and tried to ensure them that I was capable of fulfilling their needs - basically I tried my best to make it seem like I knew what I was doing and I hoped that they bought it.   Answer Question
    They offered me a different position than I applied for. I tried to negotiate salary as they were already offering me everything else I was interested in, but they said that the position couldn't justify any increase. I first for a specific salary and expected a refusal, when I got one I tried for a compromise, but they seemed unwilling or unable to budge. I felt like they were already offering the high end of my position, since it wasn't the position I applied for. They assured me numerous times that my position would give me a lot of opportunity to impress a lot of high up people and if I did so I would have a lot of opportunity for upward mobility within a short time (1 year). That was acceptable to me.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Overstock.com.

I went through a staffing agency and said I was looking for full time work and they worked with me to interview with Overstock.com.

The staffing agency did all the interfacing for me outside of the interviews (including scheduling the interviews)

For the interview, be prepared to answer SQL questions. I would recommend taking a few online SQL assessments just to brush up on the types of aggregations, joins, and the like. and be ready to write it all out by hand on a whiteboard (the assessment they give is not on a computer)

The process is fast for me, just 2 interviews. There was a general interview to get to know me and then a skill one to see how good my SQL was. After that they had an offer to me; all within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get into retail and do you even want to move to Salt Lake (I personally think its a great city but the interviewer did not)   Answer Question
    I went through a staffing agency (Recommended if you don't know anyone who works here) and they handled all the negotiations for me. I named my price and they matched it so that was it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2012.

I applied online. I received a phone call 2 days later and an interview scheduled the day after that. Once that was done I scheduled a 2nd interveiw and began training the week following.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a sittuation where you did not have the necesary tools to fix a sittaution. How did you handle it.   Answer Question
    There was not one.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com.

After an internal referral, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who set an interview date with me for the following week. My interview was with 4 members of the team with roles ranging from developer to management.

The interview was largely unstructured and consisted of discussion regarding various aspects of my previous projects, current employment/roles, relevant interests, thoughts on several common methodologies/community projects, and so on. The tone was informal, very similar to a conversation I'd have with any other web developer I'd just met who was interested in my thoughts on our craft. We reviewed a few of my completed projects from a technical standpoint - one of the devs even spent a portion reading through my published code.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to review my questions regarding the structure of the team and the particulars of the job requirements. I was contacted with an offer 3 hours later.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any examples of work you've done?   View Answer
    Immediately following the group interview, I was taken aside and asked what salary range I was seeking. Having already researched statistics for my experience in my location, I provided a $10k range. My offer contained a figure toward the high end of my range.

Worked for Overstock.com? Contribute to the Community!