Overstock.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tech Support Interview

Tech Support
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was not too bad. Basic questions about IT. The major kicker was the riddle they asked me. Out of about 20 people, I was the only one to answer it correctly. The basic idea of asking the riddle was to see how I think things through.

Interview Question – The riddle was the most difficult and unexpected question. I would say what the riddle was but I would rather have it be equal challenge for future hires coming in.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – It was very well done. it started with a quick phone screening followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. It took about 30 mins and mostly covered my background. The next day I was scheduled for a face to face interview a couple days later. This interview was more focused on my knowledge of the job area and specifics about the role I played at former employers. This interview took about 30 mins and then I met with another director and we went into more about my philosophies on management practices and people skills. We spoke for about 30 mins and they fully explained the timeline and that there were still many applicants to interview and we were look at about 10 - 14 days to make a final decision. The hiring manager was very good about staying in touch during this time and approx. 3 weeks from my in-house interview I was called with an offer.

Interview Question – Emphasis was placed on questions concerning management skills. Be prepared to speak openly about how you manage people and tasks as well as how you achieve results. They are looking for managers that can develop employees.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We spoke candidly about my requirements at the interview. I knew that I was asking for a reasonable salary and they met that number, we really did not need to negotiate.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – They brought me in for a 4 hour interview, including lunch. First hour was with two engineering managers. They asked me to model a "professor" - "class" - "student" relationship as database tables and as JPA entities. Only complication was a many-to-many from students to classes.

Second hour was with a QA manager and dev manager. They asked me to create a class diagram for a Pilot - Flight Attendant - Passenger domain to show inheritance and polymorphism. Included a wrinkle where they introduce the pilot or flight attendant flying as a passenger "deadhead". I used composition to solve that problem, but I think decorator pattern would have been better.

Then lunch at a very nice restaurant with two project managers. Lots of time here to ask questions. But it was a bit awkward as they didn't talk freely but just question and answer over lunch.

Then interviewed with two architects. They asked me to navigate a directed graph with cycles. Study your recursion for this problem.

Final interview was with a dev manager who just answered any final questions.

They responded very quickly with a hiring decision.

Interview Question – Create a class diagram for this situation:

Pilot (fly plane, get drink, consume drink)
Flight Attendant (get drink, consume drink, serve drink)
Passenger (get drink, consume drink, ride plane)

Now, add concept of "deadhead", which is a pilot or flight attendant riding as a passenger. Pilot or flight attendant can only be Pilot/Attendant or Deadhead mutually exclusively.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked how much I was looking for, and then countered slightly lower but included a signing bonus.

Demand Management Analyst Interview

Demand Management Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2013.

Interview Details – Great people who stayed in constant communication via phone interview and repeded emails to set up time for initial on site interview. On site interview was thorough and lasted about 4-5 hours. Included meeting multiple managers in various areas and a practical test of computing skills, followed by a presentation to a manager of your overall thought process durring the exercise. Overall great experiance

Interview Question – The Practical test was something completely unexpected., be ready to show your competency in the area you are being hired for.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2010.

Interview Details – First, a phone call with a staffing agency (Parallel HR). The interviewers (Dev Leads) received my resume and asked to proceed to the next step which included a phone interview and essay questions. Take the essay questions seriously. After that, I was asked to spend a day interviewing the Dev Leads, Chief Architect, Directors, and VP of IT. The recruiting company wanted me to go to Goldman Sachs (bigger payout) and Overstock thought I was playing hardball on the salary so they increased it by $5,000. I also asked for and received a bonus to help pay for relocation.

Overstock will generally make an offer that day if they feel you're a strong candidate. They need Java developers and QAs like Mars needs women, but they also have to keep new hires in a budget, so don't expect a San Francisco salary in Salt Lake City.

The candidate is put up in a nice $200+ per night hotel across the street from the corporate headquarters, given a per diem (expense report), fed a nice lunch during the interview, and driven to and from the airport. Don't expect to get a lot of time to look around the valley unless you negotiate for that.

Interview Question – The interview was straightforward and much easier than big name Internet companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google). Be solid on your Java development techniques, know how Maven works, and be prepared to compare and contrast technologies you may not have heard of before. Be *passionate* about a personal project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter (staffing agency) handled the negotiations.

Pick and Pack - Stock Control Interview

Pick and Pack - Stock Control
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – They hire through Prologistix. The people at Prologistix will take you into a little room and give you a run through of what they do with an RF to pick item, however that training is only partially correct. It is not set up so that you can really get an idea of how the true operations work. There wasn't really an interview for this position. The staffing service has their own interviewing process and may ask if you have any experience, but you don't need experience for this job.

Interview Question – Do you have any experience in a warehouse?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate and they have people working at Overstock whom have worked at the company for 3 or more years and still have not been offered a position. Overstock RARELY hires anyone, but have plenty of people from the temp service.

Software Tester Interview

Software Tester
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – Got an email from HR with position details and a questionnaire about my skills and experience on testing process, tools etc. Then got to round 2 - phone interview with 2 test leads for about an hour . The interviewers were good. Got an email nxt day from recruiter that they are moving fwd with others. Really disappointing.

Interview Question – 1) Walk through my CV and my current duties
2) Technical questions on SQL, UNIX, basic diff in QTP and load runner, webserver - I answered everything
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Tooele, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2009.

Interview Details – They call you for an interview, you go they ask you a couple of questions and do a typing test.

Interview Question – I you could have dinner with someone either alive or dead who would it be and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – at the time of intervie I was asked what shift i wanted and when they called to offer the job, they said "oh by the way the day shift is not available, you will have to work the night shift." I needed a job

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – I waited upwards of 45 minutes past our scheduled interview time before they came out to greet me. I was pretty turned off by that, and had considered leaving a handful of times without even bothering with the interview. My managers seemed very nice - both women, which you don't see often. Interview was typical, they asked about any relevant experience, then had me write a sample product description on-the-spot. They did not ask for references, even when I offered to supply them.

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
West Valley City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview, then I did a team interview, and finally I interviewed with the department manager and director. Very friendly people.

Interview Question – The only hard part, if there was one, was going to multiple interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me what I wanted so I didn't need to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Overstock.com