Overstock.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty casual, not much of a structure. Had about 4 2-on-1s, then a 30-minute with the SVP. Questions ranged from experience questions to case questions to quick-math questions. Seems like each interviewer had his or her own things that they looked for, nothing consistent. Probably the largest focus was on my analytic abilities - what tools I had used, what data I had worked with, etc.

Interview Question – Most unexpected quesiton: what is 7% of 110?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much wiggle room - was able to negotiate an additional 7%, but not much.

Photo Interview

Photo
West Valley City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview where we basically went over my basic qualifications and what the job actually entails. Then I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. The interview consisted of answering a series of standard interview questions, completing a brief Photoshop quiz on basic commands including magic wand/selection, cropping, deleting backgrounds, image re-sizing, etc. There was a hiring freeze implemented soon after my interview so even tho management told me they wanted to offer me a position, I was not actually offered the position till several weeks later.

Interview Question – Time off during the fourth quarter (October 1 - December 31) is not allowed and on the rare exception that it is allowed it is only for senior employees. Asking if I was OK with not taking any time off during this period was a little unexpected but understandable as it is a retail company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I tried to get a little higher compensation however they declined telling me that raises are based on performance.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with initial phone screens, then brought in for several 2-on-1 interviews. Some of the easier interview questions I've been asked. Nothing extremely technical, more focused on fit. They do have a lot of business scenario questions - stuff focused on how you think about margin, volume, costs, etc.

Interview Question – What is 7% of 110?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a little, not much.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer I Interview

Software Developer I
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – First round
Telephonic round
- Questions asked are mostly around resume

Second round
All day onsite Interview
- Algorithm and data structure
- Java, OOAP, Webservices and hibernate
- Lunch inteview
- Database, sql, pl/sql
- HR

Interview Question – Not too difficult but questions Implement queue using stack and related to binary trees   Answer Question

Graphic/Web Designer Interview

Graphic/Web Designer
Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in July 2011.

Interview Details – Group interview with team members. Portfolio review, skills assessment, style questions. Follow-up interview with team leader and department leader. Brief and unrehearsed interview, mainly getting a feel for personality mixing. Required multiple follow-up phone calls before final decision was made with a canned HR email.

Interview Questions

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2011.

Interview Details – The flew me from houston, took care of my accommodation as well. Interviewers were extremely polite and friendly. Help was given whenever I was stuck in a problem. There was a lunch interview as well which consisted of personality related questions.

Interview Question – Apart from the regular Data Structures/ Algorithm type questions. One question which bummed me was ....If Larry Ellison calls and asks you what more would you like to add in Java(core) ?   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Web Designer
Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in November 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter got in touch with me and then asked me to submit a document answering 10 questions about certain things in the field (i.e. what tools I used and why, experience with code, etc.). Then I moved onto a phone interview, which they offered me a 1:1 interview the next day. I went to the 1:1, it consisted of 5 members from Overstock, they offered me the job the next day.

Interview Question – What have you learned in the past year?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really negotiate, the recruiter mostly did that for me.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2011.

Interview Details – I have two onsite interviews for overstock. Peoples are kind in the interview. There were at least 4 people in each interview. Asked for past experience, data analysis concepts, and behavioral questions in the first round. Next round focused on the technical skill test. Both were almost 1 hour. In the technical skill test included the sql test.

Interview Question – How do you handle the multi-projects deadline?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiter convinced me to interview despite my better judgement. Overstock has a bad rep locally as a bit of a sweat shop and one that tends to lay people off regularly. My recruiter said things had changed in the past few years. I arrived around 11am and met with 2 senior level guys. They had me write code for a binary tree traversal on the board and asked a series of questions. After that, 2 different guys took me to lunch. Lunch seemed geared around getting to know me as a person and didn't involve and traditional interview questions. It was very casual. After lunch, I got a small tour of the building and met with 3 other guy who grilled me technically for a while. Lastly, I met with a higher up (VP type) and was given the Overstock sales pitch. Overall, I thought the interview was fairly easy despite being a 4 hour ordeal.

Interview Question – Given a binary sorted tree of ints, write code (java) on the board to traverse the tree to determine if a given value is in the tree.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2011.

Interview Details – I initially received a call from the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview and interviewed with the manager a few days later. The call lasted about 40 minutes and covered my work experience and how that related to the specific job that I was applying for. One question that I was asked was what metrics I would use to assess the effectiveness of a particular channel. Overall I would say that the interview was very cordial and professional and I enjoyed the interview process.

Interview Question – How would you evaluate the performance of any given campaign   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary range was a little bit short of my needs.