Overstock.com

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

My first interview consisted of a phone interview with a current Marketing Analyst within the company. This interview covered the basic statistics understanding as well as basic web metrics understanding. Mostly personal questions were asked and then advice was given for the second follow-up interview that would be in person.

A couple weeks passed from phone interview to in-person interview. In this interview I was given 20 minutes to prepare a presentation for the analytics team. I had two options one being a printout of the Overstock.com homepage and I was to determine what enhancements or changes could be made and the other being a set of data for 3 weeks and I was to create metrics and present them. I chose the data set. I presented my findings to a group of about 6-7 and answered questions from each of them regarding my resume and skills. After the presentation I was then 1-1 with the manager and asked several more questions. Two weeks later I was informed a more qualified individual had been selected. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • In the conversion metric the revenues are increasing but the revenue per order is decreasing. What might be the cause?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

Basic typing test and answer 5 questions like "what would you do if, or name a time that"

NA

ERP Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Overstock.com in June 2010.

-Applied through Linkedin.com, initial interview was setup within 2 weeks.
    -Initial interview was technical taken in a group of 2, on phone. Lasted for about 1 hour. Difficulty level was little over medium.
    -Didnt hear back from them untill I called them, they liked and setup another phone interview.
    - This time again phone interview in group. This time it was more about the past experience.
    - Again they didnt replied, I had to follow up and finally scheduled an onsite interview.
    -They provided air tickets, hotel and airport pickup/drop off.
    -Face to face interview was again of medium level difficulty.
    -It was taken by 3 groups of people which lasted for about 2 hours:
    1st Group: Manager and Director : 30 mins
    2nd Group: QA Analyst, Developer and Business Analyst : 45 mins
    3rd Group: DBA, Business Analysts :45 mins

It went very well, and the Manager took me to lunch with the Developer and a Business Analyst. One thing which I didnt like about them was, even if they liked me and wanted to go for further interviews, they wouldnt contact me. That was unusual.

Again I didnt hear back from them for about a week, so I contacted them but they kept me waiting and finally last week June 23rd, the HR emailed saying 'POSITION IS ON HOLD and will contact you if it reopens'.

They should evaluate the position and its need to the organization before posting jobs. Why they wasted my time if they were not sure to fill up that position?

I had to take 2 half day leaves and one sick leave for these interviews and outcome was NOTHING.

Interview Questions
    • It was not difficult rather it was an unexpected question asked by QA Engineer,
      Where would I go and do something in Quality Center, to get his given desired outcome?

Answer Question
    • Questions on Unix commands, SQL, Joins, Subquery, Pull top 10 records in Oracle and SQL server, QA process, Agile and Scrum methods, QTP, Quality center, Oracle Base Table names, Order to Cash Process, Procure to Pay process in Oracle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Interview was pretty casual, not much of a structure. Had about 4 2-on-1s, then a 30-minute with the SVP. Questions ranged from experience questions to case questions to quick-math questions. Seems like each interviewer had his or her own things that they looked for, nothing consistent. Probably the largest focus was on my analytic abilities - what tools I had used, what data I had worked with, etc.

Interview Questions
    Not much wiggle room - was able to negotiate an additional 7%, but not much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Started off with initial phone screens, then brought in for several 2-on-1 interviews. Some of the easier interview questions I've been asked. Nothing extremely technical, more focused on fit. They do have a lot of business scenario questions - stuff focused on how you think about margin, volume, costs, etc.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated a little, not much.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Contacted a recruiter who forwarded my resume to the company. Then I had a phone interview with the recruiter which was not very technical. Then they scheduled a technical phone interview with 4 people. They asked standard questions like design patterns, automated testing, and architecture (describe architectural decisions in last project, my answer was not good on this one). Then they scheduled an onsite interview. They paid the flight and a decent hotel near their HQ. The onsite interview consisted of several 45min interviews with senior devs from different departments. There was also some good lunch in a nearby restaurant. For the on-site you want to prepare trees (small coding question involving recursion) and hibernate. They seem to love hibernate; I think I was asked about this in almost all of the interviews.
    Initially they did not make an offer (could be because they did not think I would stay there with my personal situation), but then made me an offer a few months (!) later. I declined the offer since I already had another one.

Interview Questions
    • ? Describe a recent project:
      ! me describing project
      ? What where the most difficult architectural decisions?

View Answer
    • How would you write a function which prints out all the nodes of a tree.   View Answer

Already accepted another offer.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Overstock.com in February 2010.

First, a phone call with a staffing agency (Parallel HR). The interviewers (Dev Leads) received my resume and asked to proceed to the next step which included a phone interview and essay questions. Take the essay questions seriously. After that, I was asked to spend a day interviewing the Dev Leads, Chief Architect, Directors, and VP of IT. The recruiting company wanted me to go to Goldman Sachs (bigger payout) and Overstock thought I was playing hardball on the salary so they increased it by $5,000. I also asked for and received a bonus to help pay for relocation.

Overstock will generally make an offer that day if they feel you're a strong candidate. They need Java developers and QAs like Mars needs women, but they also have to keep new hires in a budget, so don't expect a San Francisco salary in Salt Lake City.

The candidate is put up in a nice $200+ per night hotel across the street from the corporate headquarters, given a per diem (expense report), fed a nice lunch during the interview, and driven to and from the airport. Don't expect to get a lot of time to look around the valley unless you negotiate for that.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was straightforward and much easier than big name Internet companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google). Be solid on your Java development techniques, know how Maven works, and be prepared to compare and contrast technologies you may not have heard of before. Be *passionate* about a personal project.   Answer Question
    The recruiter (staffing agency) handled the negotiations.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

First interview followed by second 'writing test' interview two days later. Received notice of hire later that day.

Interview Questions
    Pay is poor for the position. No negotiation.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

Recruiter convinced me to interview despite my better judgement. Overstock has a bad rep locally as a bit of a sweat shop and one that tends to lay people off regularly. My recruiter said things had changed in the past few years. I arrived around 11am and met with 2 senior level guys. They had me write code for a binary tree traversal on the board and asked a series of questions. After that, 2 different guys took me to lunch. Lunch seemed geared around getting to know me as a person and didn't involve and traditional interview questions. It was very casual. After lunch, I got a small tour of the building and met with 3 other guy who grilled me technically for a while. Lastly, I met with a higher up (VP type) and was given the Overstock sales pitch. Overall, I thought the interview was fairly easy despite being a 4 hour ordeal.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary sorted tree of ints, write code (java) on the board to traverse the tree to determine if a given value is in the tree.   Answer Question

Packer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Overstock.com in December 2009.

The interview consited in drug test and skills too. this was performed by the previous manager in charge of that area.

Interview Questions
    • they asked me what to do in case of... how to handle issues with employees...   View Answer
    • how should i handle the stress and a lot of people.   View Answer