Overstock.com Interview Questions in Utah

2.8

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Overstock.com in August 2011.

I initially received a call from the hiring manager to schedule a phone interview and interviewed with the manager a few days later. The call lasted about 40 minutes and covered my work experience and how that related to the specific job that I was applying for. One question that I was asked was what metrics I would use to assess the effectiveness of a particular channel. Overall I would say that the interview was very cordial and professional and I enjoyed the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you evaluate the performance of any given campaign   Answer Question

The salary range was a little bit short of my needs.

Creative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in February 2011.

Applied online and received notice to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was basic questions, nothing I haven't heard before. After that, I received another email to schedule a face-to-face interview. Went to the Overstock headquarters and interviewed with two team members from the division the position was in. They asked me a lot of questions about how I would handle certain situations that would arise in the position. I was asked to go online and take a test after that interview, which involved many quantitative questions. Was informed by email after a week that they had hired for the position internally.

Interview Questions
    • What is 5% of 500?   View Answer
    • If you had 100 photos to choose from to use as the category image for a line of products, how would you select the best one?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2010.

Contacted a recruiter who forwarded my resume to the company. Then I had a phone interview with the recruiter which was not very technical. Then they scheduled a technical phone interview with 4 people. They asked standard questions like design patterns, automated testing, and architecture (describe architectural decisions in last project, my answer was not good on this one). Then they scheduled an onsite interview. They paid the flight and a decent hotel near their HQ. The onsite interview consisted of several 45min interviews with senior devs from different departments. There was also some good lunch in a nearby restaurant. For the on-site you want to prepare trees (small coding question involving recursion) and hibernate. They seem to love hibernate; I think I was asked about this in almost all of the interviews.
    Initially they did not make an offer (could be because they did not think I would stay there with my personal situation), but then made me an offer a few months (!) later. I declined the offer since I already had another one.

Interview Questions
    • ? Describe a recent project:
      ! me describing project
      ? What where the most difficult architectural decisions?
        View Answer
    • How would you write a function which prints out all the nodes of a tree.   View Answer

Already accepted another offer.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in January 2010.

First interview followed by second 'writing test' interview two days later. Received notice of hire later that day.

Interview Questions
    Pay is poor for the position. No negotiation.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in December 2010.

The recruiter contacted me and had me fill out a questionnaire. They contacted me a few days later for a phone interview with two people. I was flown in a week later for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    I received a solid offer. No negotiation necessary.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in January 2008.

At Overstock, interviews are arranged to get you with a pack of people at the same time 3 or 4 at least.
    So be prepared to be very general in your answers until you get a feel of the people that are interviewing you.
    Do your research about Overstock, but focus on Naked Short Selling and Patrick Byrne's fight against Wall Street, praise it and you'll be fine.
    Buy something from Overstock before the interview and mention it.
    There is a great advantage if you are from Darmouth, Stanford and BYU.

Interview Questions
    Do your research and ask for the highest salary you can think of, because there won't be any future promotions or raises.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tooele, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tooele, UT

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Overstock.com in October 2010.

I filled out anm application at the local DWS....I was called and interviewed the next day, and I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an apple on a tree, would you choose to be picked or left on the tree?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Overstock.com in September 2010.

My first interview consisted of a phone interview with a current Marketing Analyst within the company. This interview covered the basic statistics understanding as well as basic web metrics understanding. Mostly personal questions were asked and then advice was given for the second follow-up interview that would be in person.

A couple weeks passed from phone interview to in-person interview. In this interview I was given 20 minutes to prepare a presentation for the analytics team. I had two options one being a printout of the Overstock.com homepage and I was to determine what enhancements or changes could be made and the other being a set of data for 3 weeks and I was to create metrics and present them. I chose the data set. I presented my findings to a group of about 6-7 and answered questions from each of them regarding my resume and skills. After the presentation I was then 1-1 with the manager and asked several more questions. Two weeks later I was informed a more qualified individual had been selected. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • In the conversion metric the revenues are increasing but the revenue per order is decreasing. What might be the cause?   View Answer

ERP Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Overstock.com in June 2010.

-Applied through Linkedin.com, initial interview was setup within 2 weeks.
    -Initial interview was technical taken in a group of 2, on phone. Lasted for about 1 hour. Difficulty level was little over medium.
    -Didnt hear back from them untill I called them, they liked and setup another phone interview.
    - This time again phone interview in group. This time it was more about the past experience.
    - Again they didnt replied, I had to follow up and finally scheduled an onsite interview.
    -They provided air tickets, hotel and airport pickup/drop off.
    -Face to face interview was again of medium level difficulty.
    -It was taken by 3 groups of people which lasted for about 2 hours:
    1st Group: Manager and Director : 30 mins
    2nd Group: QA Analyst, Developer and Business Analyst : 45 mins
    3rd Group: DBA, Business Analysts :45 mins

It went very well, and the Manager took me to lunch with the Developer and a Business Analyst. One thing which I didnt like about them was, even if they liked me and wanted to go for further interviews, they wouldnt contact me. That was unusual.

Again I didnt hear back from them for about a week, so I contacted them but they kept me waiting and finally last week June 23rd, the HR emailed saying 'POSITION IS ON HOLD and will contact you if it reopens'.

They should evaluate the position and its need to the organization before posting jobs. Why they wasted my time if they were not sure to fill up that position?

I had to take 2 half day leaves and one sick leave for these interviews and outcome was NOTHING.

Interview Questions
    • It was not difficult rather it was an unexpected question asked by QA Engineer,
      Where would I go and do something in Quality Center, to get his given desired outcome?
        Answer Question
    • Questions on Unix commands, SQL, Joins, Subquery, Pull top 10 records in Oracle and SQL server, QA process, Agile and Scrum methods, QTP, Quality center, Oracle Base Table names, Order to Cash Process, Procure to Pay process in Oracle.   Answer Question

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Overstock.com in May 2009.

Recruiter contacted me based off resume on Monster.com. 1-on-1 30 minute chat with Recruiter.
    SQL skills test consisting of basic SQL commands to moderate level commands. Spent about an hour on this and returned it to the recruiter.
    Group interview with 2 peers & potential supervisor. Then quick 5 minute "hey how are you" with the next level higher.

Offer within 10 days

Interview Questions
    • SQL:
      SELECT Statement
      Pulling first 500 records from massive query.
      Joins of tables
        View Answer

Accepted Counter-Offer from current employer.

Certain aspects of the company didn't feel right. Culture was more of a mom-and-pop type shop than the corporate face Overstock wants to portray.