Owens Corning

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

3.2

Information Systems Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Owens Corning.

The interviewing process was really informative and thorough. I spoke with HR a couple of times and then went through a phone interview and then an in-person interview. I thought it was one of the better processes I have ever had with a company.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were pretty standard for an interview and I didn't really think any of them were difficult.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Leadership Program Interview

Started out with a phone screening. Next a bunch of candidates were flown out to Texas. First day was a tour of their facility and the second day was interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Very straight forward questions regarding leadership. Nothing out of the box.   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Owens Corning in March 2014.

very detailed interviewing style panel type interviews

Interview Questions
    • How do you get more effective work out of hourly employees which already have a full schedule?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Phone Screening, have not heard back in over a month

Interview Questions
    • Typical phone screening, walked through my resume, learned more about the program   Answer Question

EHS Leadership Program (Entry Level EHS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Owens Corning in September 2013.

This company is the perfect example of the lack luster talent between human resources, and the ineptness of mid level (department) staff to adequately identify talent/intelligence when they see it. This was a panel style interview with several behavioral based questions that did nothing to showcase a person’s talent. The questions were very topical and shallow in nature, so one couldn't possibly get a good picture of a qualified candidate because the questions were targeted towards one with no experience. When you have an individual with several years of industry experience, you’d think corporate level people could figure out that the questions need to be tailored accordingly, when faced with a person with previous industry experience. I was asked questions befitting someone with no experience other than a co-op or part time high school job. A couple of the interviewers seemed bored, a little unqualified, and came across sounding a little uneducated as well (consider the following). I asked one interviewer why/how he got into this (EHS) field and he said “well I dropped by a fire safety course in college one day, and I thought eh, this wouldn't totally suck as a job I guess.” This kind of mentality really shows potential employees the passion and depth you have for guarding employee safety and the concern you have for your company’s environmental compliance.

In regards to the EHS department, Owens Corning has individuals from corporate all the way down to plant level EHS managers that make me question how they got their job, as well as how present and future candidates get jobs with OC in this field. I know several people that work for this organization and some are very intelligent, educated, qualified people and their are other individuals that I personally know, that hold no degree (because they've failed courses), have little to no experience, and some have been let go from previous positions because of their lack of ability. I've seen recently that some of the more qualified people have since left OC to pursue other ventures. I assume they probably grew tired of babysitting the less than qualified people OC management continues to hire. I’m not bitter about not getting an offer, nobody gets offered every job, but when someone with several years of industry experience is passed over for an entry level EHS position, while other recent hires (some of which have no degrees, little experience, and/or been let go from previous positions) makes one wonder what the management/HR staff are actually thinking when screening/interviewing candidates. Keep this up OC, and you’ll lose more and more stellar candidates and be stuck babysitting your leftover mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • n/a. The interview was easy. No questions are worth sharing   Answer Question

Identity & Access Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Owens Corning in August 2013.

Initial communication was through a recruiter hired to find probable candidates. The recruiter pre-screened me for consideration and then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. After that I was invited to the world headquarters for an in-person interview with the hiring manager, HR recruiter, other team members and department leadership.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions were fairly technical in nature and caught me off guard.   Answer Question
    Offered 10 days of vacation which was low for my experience and I was able to negotiate 14. No ability to work remote on a consistent basis, however.

Maintenance Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Owens Corning in July 2013.

Straight forward and very fast Initial interview set up through recruiter. Had a written offer within a week of the sight visit.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about the wage compared to the cost of living of the area?   Answer Question

Instrument Technician Interview

the process is long and drawn out, and the dept manager and his crony will not give you an accurate description of the job they expect yo to do prior to hiring

ok

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Owens Corning.

Received a call to setup phone interview. They were flexible with scheduling. Process was straight forward and went quickly. Interviewer was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of how you know someone has trusted you in the past.   Answer Question

FP&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Owens Corning in March 2013.

3rd Party Recruiter contacted me about a position and arranged a phone screen with HR and Lead for the department. Panel interview was promptly scheduled. Interview included HR and Department Lead. All were very professional. Discussed past experience and a few "how did you handle..." questions. After the interview, I received a tour of the HQ campus.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard interview. Why are you applying for this position? Do you see yourself always working in finance? Explain how you deal with an underperforming employee. What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?   Answer Question