Oxfam America Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Oxfam America

Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oxfam America in February 2013.

Pretty standard interview process, with high caliber-level questions and discussions. The level of the conversation can be intimidating with strangers, but, the interviewers were some of the nicest I've met. First part was a telephone interview with a person, then, a schedule for a panel interview at their HQ. Panel interview had about 6 people, all who had 2 questions related to their position within the organization. References and background checks were also contacted.

Nothing unexpected, but nothing taken for granted either. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really; most of the questions were to be expected.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; union set the salary. It was a good package, so, there would have been little I would have negotiated anyways.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oxfam America in June 2010.

Was emailed for a 1:1 interview with the position's supervisor. This was five or more months from when I applied to the position. The interview was for screening purposes and to make sure I was still interested and understood the position's expectation. 12 or 15 people were interviewed like this, I forget the exact number.

From what I can tell, 5 or fewer came back for a panel interview a week or two later. The interview included members of the team as well as other teams in the office, a department head, and an HR representative from Boston being video-ed in. Each person asked a question, for a total of 5 or 6 questions plus a few quick followups. Interview lasted about 40 minutes.

Was then taken to fill out processing paperwork and info for background and reference checks. Was told the decision might come down to references.

Good experience, expect the from when I put in my application to when I was told another candidate was chosen took 6 months or more.

Interview Questions
    • Why the position and why OXFAM?   Answer Question
    • Describe your understanding of the position's responsibility?   Answer Question
    • How you work with difficult personalities and bosses   Answer Question
    • What kind of supervisor you like and what kind of team environment you like.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oxfam America in October 2009.

Responded to an ad for an associate position. Got an email back requesting a phone interview. Had a nice talk with a young woman from the department doing the hiring, and told her I was going to be in Boston not too long after, she said she'd be in touch. Never heard anything back again.

Interview Questions
    • Why I wanted the job, why I was interested in microfinance.   View Answer

Regional Advocacy Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oxfam America in May 2012.

Applied online, they called to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted a half hour. Waiting to hear if I got a second interview.

Development Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oxfam America in November 2008.

The interview went well. The interviewer was great but I did not fit into the bill. But overall a great experience.