Oxford University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2015

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University in January 2015.

Interview

The skype interview lasts for 25 minutes, including 5mins presentation+ 20 mins Q&A session. There are 4 panelists from the department, two directors who are in charge of general recruitment and they lead the interview and asked some very general questions, such as why did you choose this course, what are your career goals, how your experience in the past qualify you for the course and what challenges you are expecting from this course etc.
    The other two panelists are project leader and statistic expert. Asked some really tough technical questions related to the research project.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose this particular course   Answer Question
    • How would you carry out the xx part research of your proposed project   Answer Question

UNIQ Summer School Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I applied through university and was invited to attend a group interview session. The interview involved teamwork, working to solve a problem and present the solution to the other interviewees. This involved delegating task between the group, communicating clearly, and being positive. We were told after the interview by phone whether or not we had been offered the position. We then attended a training session before the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a difficult summer school attendee?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

Submission via UCAS website. It is necessary also to do complete some tests for the application. I was contacted for interviews with tutors at the college over Skype in December. I received my offer by the end of December that year.

Interview Questions

• Some brainteaser and math questions. Besides that general questions meant to test how you respond on the spot.   Answer Question

Chemistry Undergraduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I had two interviews, each consisting of a professor and one other. Both of them lasted about 30 mins. Was asked mostly technical chemistry questions, such as drawing the mechanisms for some organic chemistry reactions. Was asked some basic A-level standard maths questions and asked what my favourite element was and why.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Used website and contacted via e-mail, panel interview with test, waited over a week and then I had to contact them to find out results. Was not given much feedback.

Personal Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)).

Interview

Received invitation to interview within 2 weeks of submitting my application through the online university system. There was more than enough time to study up on the department and the expected interview questions. The staff were very professional, polite, and friendly when I arrived for the interview. I met with the primary administrative person I would be reporting to as well as 2 of the 4 Professors I would be supporting in the PA position. all the questions were standard - why do you want the job, what do you think will be the most challenging aspect of this position, what would friends say are your strengths and weaknesses, who does your CV demonstrate your fit to this position, do you have experience updating webpages, do you have experience with Microsoft Office (particularly word and excel), etc.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a time when you had to involve a supervisor in order to complete an important task.   1 Answer

MSC Student Interview

Interview

Interviewed.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

I am a British Academy postdoc, which does not have an interview procedure. It is a two-step process of writing an application and providing a writing sample, on the basis of which a panel decides to give the award. Prior to applying, one must seek support of the prospective employer (Oxford)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I could negotiate salary to be on the same grade, but higher scale point (made a difference of over £1000) based on my earlier experience. Negotiate!

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oxford University in February 2014.

Interview

One Skype interview from the United States. I was interviewed by a panel of six people that wanted to validate who I was and my ability to perform unique and creative research. I received a phone call a few days later informing me I had got the job.

Interview Questions

• Improving the current standard for research in Classics.   Answer Question

Account Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I had one interview with Human Resource representative, the Team Lead and Manager of the department. Great interview. HR asked a behavioral question; such as, what do you know about our organization? The Team Lead asked a technical question and a behavioral question - How do you keep yourself organized?

Interview Questions

• It was an easy interview if you are well prepared. For example, please tell me what you know about are organization?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was great. I was able to negotiate my start time and finish time.