Oxford University PhD Student Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

3.2

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University in January 2015.

Interview

The skype interview lasts for 25 minutes, including 5mins presentation+ 20 mins Q&A session. There are 4 panelists from the department, two directors who are in charge of general recruitment and they lead the interview and asked some very general questions, such as why did you choose this course, what are your career goals, how your experience in the past qualify you for the course and what challenges you are expecting from this course etc. The other two panelists are project leader and statistic expert. Asked some really tough technical questions related to the research project.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose this particular course   Answer Question
  • How would you carry out the xx part research of your proposed project   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Oxford University

PhD Student Interview

Interview

One interview with the head of department, potential supervisor and other senior researchers in the department. interview lasted around 1 hour. gave a 10 minute presentation on my masters dissertation, followed by 15 minutes of Q&A. Then personality/fit questions, aspirations, visions, time and project management

Interview Questions

• Long term vision, research area of interest, describe your current research,   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

Skype interview with some members of the faculty and the funding board. I was first notified by email that I would be contacted by one of the members involved in the interview, then received another email from one of the faculty members. The interviewers asked me very generic questions, no major-specific ones.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Had to network to get in touch with my doctoral supervisor. Didn't really have to go through a formal application procedure. Was asked a few questions related to my work during the masters and bachelors program, and related to research area I'd work in.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oxford University in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online and was interviewed by a panel of 7 investigators. The interview was over skype since I was overseas. British nationals who arrive on site are usually invited to tour the labs. The process was fairly straightforward. I started by making a 10 minute presentation about my undergraduate thesis, which was followed by whole bunch of technical questions, and some questions about my future plans.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were technical and related to my undergraduate work.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in November 2008.

Interview

You send a CV and Cover Letter, they call you back and invite to arrive to Oxford for the interview.

Interview Questions

• They give you a scientific paper to read and ask question about the date published.   Answer Question