Oxford University Press

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Marketing Executive Interview

Senior Marketing Executive
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview Details – Applied directly to the Oxford University Press with a CV and covering letter to an advertised position. Just a few days after the position closed, I was emailed with an offer to a first round interview. The interviewed was approximately 45 minutes, with a proof reading task afterwards.

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty standard: Tell me about yourself; what do you think the most challenging part of the job will be; why do you want this job; what are your strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question

Commissioning Assistant Interview

Commissioning Assistant
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Oxford University Press in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by in-house recruiter after about a week and a half. Interview was scheduled for 1 week later, and no offer of compensation (I was travelling from abroad). Was interviewed by 2 people, who I would have been working for. I was first given a copyediting test -- this was not too difficult. The interviewers were pleasant, but a little bit cold. There were a lot of behavioral questions "...give me an example of a time when..."

I found out after about a week that I was unsuccessful, but helpfully I was given a reason based on the interviewers' notes.

Interview Question – Who are our main competitors?   View Answer

Editorial Administrator Interview

Editorial Administrator
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Oxford University Press in October 2013.

Interview Details – After about two weeks of applying for the job, I was sent a link to an assessment. The communication mentioned having already been invited to the interview when I had not been so there was some confusion there and I had to wait for the interview invite to come through. I was given 5 days notice of the interview and to take these, which were 2010 word and excel intermediate tests. The tests were mostly having to find different functions, such as turning on track changes, there were no complicated formulas, the main issue with those was only having 2 chances to click correctly. The assessments said that these would be brought up at the interview but that never actually happened.

After a long trek through their office I was introduced to two interviewers who interviewed me for about an hour. The initial question was along the lines of 'tell us about yourself' - a very open chance to introduce myself, after which there were the usual ones such as strengths/weaknesses, how do I take criticism, what do you know about the company and why do you want to work here, where do you want to be in 5 years time, etc.

After the interview was finished I was then taken to an office to do yet another assessment- this time it was a prioritisation task and correcting an email to an author that was full of typos and badly written. I was given 20 minutes to complete those tasks. I was informed that there would be a second round of interviews the following week. Throughout the interview the responses I was getting to my answers were very positive, and I came away feeling positive, however only 2 days later I received a rejection letter which contained very blunt feedback in a third person style as if copied straight from the recruiting manager's notes, which was very demotivating. This is the second interview I have attended with this company and the second time they have given this style of feedback, I just hope they don't treat their authors this way! Not known another company like it. I know feedback is a positive thing that not many interviewers seem to give at all these days, which I am grateful for, but I would expect it to be delivered in a nice way- after all I have invested time, money, effort, and most of all, hope, into this opportunity and their style of rejection email was very poor. Not only this, one of the points raised was my covering letter, when this should not have been an issue in my 'interview feedback' - after all, they obviously found it acceptable enough to invite me in the first place.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were faced with conflicting priorities. How did you determine the top priority? (rough wording)   View Answers (3)

Procurement Administrator Interview

Procurement Administrator
Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Oxford University Press in December 2011.

Interview Details – Good communication and planning

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Higher salary

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Oxford University Press? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oxford University Press interview questions and advice in Oxford, England. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Oxford University Press employees and interview candidates.