Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 18, 2015

3.1

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied using the UK online application system, and wrote a personal statement for this. In retrospect I have been told that this should only be focussed on the chosen area of study. Had two interviews for taking biochemistry.

Interview Questions

• What happens to bacterial cells vs red blood cells when placed in water? Write and solve an equilibrium equation for the reaction between (two given chemicals). Do you think the high humidity in rainforests is good or bad for plants?   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was none...

PhD Student (Fully Funded) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Slightly tough. Long term plans are important to prepare for before sitting for the interview. Likewise the rigor of your scientific research plan. During the interview I was asked numerous tough questions including ones pertaining to my academic experience, long and short term plans, future collaborations, research impact, choosing Oxford etc...

Maths Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

interview for maths asking lots of maths questions. 1 on 1 for 30 minutes there were 3 and they were of increasing difficulty. stayed in oxford for 3 days. had a good time. was fun, people should apply and stuff as it is good.

Chemistry Undergraduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

I had two interviews, each consisting of a professor and one other. Both of them lasted about 30 mins. Was asked mostly technical chemistry questions, such as drawing the mechanisms for some organic chemistry reactions. Was asked some basic A-level standard maths questions and asked what my favourite element was and why.

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oxford University in February 2014.

Interview

One Skype interview from the United States. I was interviewed by a panel of six people that wanted to validate who I was and my ability to perform unique and creative research. I received a phone call a few days later informing me I had got the job.

Interview Questions

• Improving the current standard for research in Classics.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oxford University in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online and was interviewed by a panel of 7 investigators. The interview was over skype since I was overseas. British nationals who arrive on site are usually invited to tour the labs. The process was fairly straightforward. I started by making a 10 minute presentation about my undergraduate thesis, which was followed by whole bunch of technical questions, and some questions about my future plans.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were technical and related to my undergraduate work.   Answer Question

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied to University on a charge of £50. That charge is a very useful filter to make only those apply that really think they've got the skills. Interview was in Biochemistry department in Oxford, 5 people in panel, listening to my 10 minutes presentation. 10 minutes question after that, some questions about my research, some personal questions.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

ask about courses taken, if you know basic knowledge, if you are interested in, if you have some similar experience. Nice people and it's not difficult if you prepared in advance. Just need to meet the skills requirement and show your interest.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Interview with my immediate line manager (Professor) involved a 30 minutes interview on my previous work related to the job interview and general Q&A on the presentation and my CV. I didn't have direct work experience in the advertised job, but highlighted some of the key required skills/experience (analytical modelling, cross-disciplinary collaboration in large projects) that are transferable from previous works.

Interview Questions

• Questions were to gauge broader knowledge on the area I was interviewing for, which I had through self study and a recent relevant Masters degree but not through previous research work and my PhD.   Answer Question

MSC In Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in January 2009.

Interview

it was a 75 minute interview based on three mathematical questions.

Interview Questions

• how many words can you make from the letters of COMMITTEE?   Answer Question