Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 2, 2015

Undergraduate Interview

Interview

writing test 2h, skype inteview, questions in pdf 4 questions

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Had to network to get in touch with my doctoral supervisor. Didn't really have to go through a formal application procedure. Was asked a few questions related to my work during the masters and bachelors program, and related to research area I'd work in.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

I am a British Academy postdoc, which does not have an interview procedure. It is a two-step process of writing an application and providing a writing sample, on the basis of which a panel decides to give the award. Prior to applying, one must seek support of the prospective employer (Oxford)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I could negotiate salary to be on the same grade, but higher scale point (made a difference of over £1000) based on my earlier experience. Negotiate!

MSC Student Interview

Interview

Interviewed.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

Submission via UCAS website. It is necessary also to do complete some tests for the application. I was contacted for interviews with tutors at the college over Skype in December. I received my offer by the end of December that year.

Interview Questions

• Some brainteaser and math questions. Besides that general questions meant to test how you respond on the spot.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Saw an advertisement on the Oxford website. Emailed the Prof. He expressed strong interest in my profile since the job description was very relevant to my Ph.D. thesis. The professor advised me to submit a formal application which consists of 2 letter of recommendations, supporting statement, CV and cover letter. 7 weeks later, I got an email, inviting me for a skype interview (I am an overseas candidate). As a part of the interview, I had to present my work for 10 mins for which I had to send my presentation 3 days ahead of the interview. I was also asked to submit my transcripts and photocopy of passport. Interview consisted of 2 professors (head PI and the PI under whom I was suppose to work). 10 mins presentation and 30 mins questions, mostly on my presentation, how do I write a paper and my experiences in grad school. I was very confident in getting the job, but unfortunately after 3 reminders, I got a generic reject email. I believe that they found someone in Oxford itself for the position and they did not want to go through the trouble of bringing people from overseas.

Interview Questions

• Mostly on thesis and my presentation. What is your approach on writing a journal paper?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oxford University.

Interview

Offered job internally. One interview with group leader.

Interview Questions

Salary on offer wasn't great. Chose industry instead.

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2010.

Interview

A very fast process (~1month) as I had gone directly through the research group leader. There were no problems with processing any paper work and the grant from my funding body came into effect the day I started.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what I wanted to do after my postdoc   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for a short skype interview, was invited to an in person interview. During in person interview had to talk with all the senior lab members and give a presentation.

Business Development Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and then a few days later was invited to an interview requesting that I prepare a presentation. This also included an in-tray test where I had to arrange an interview schedule. This was a panel interview of two business development managers and an HR manager. I was not very impressed that even though I had requested wheelchair access that the room was upstairs using a condemned stairlift. Now I work there this has been removed and replaced with a proper platform lift.

Interview Questions

• How would you persuade a high level participant to pay? Have you ever done credit control?   Answer Question