Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Feb 1, 2015
Updated Feb 1, 2015

PhD Student Interview

Had to network to get in touch with my doctoral supervisor. Didn't really have to go through a formal application procedure. Was asked a few questions related to my work during the masters and bachelors program, and related to research area I'd work in.

Undergraduate Interview

writing test 2h, skype inteview, questions in pdf 4 questions

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I am a British Academy postdoc, which does not have an interview procedure. It is a two-step process of writing an application and providing a writing sample, on the basis of which a panel decides to give the award. Prior to applying, one must seek support of the prospective employer (Oxford)

Interview Questions
    I could negotiate salary to be on the same grade, but higher scale point (made a difference of over £1000) based on my earlier experience. Negotiate!

MSC Student Interview

Interviewed.

Undergraduate Economics & Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University.

Submission via UCAS website. It is necessary also to do complete some tests for the application. I was contacted for interviews with tutors at the college over Skype in December. I received my offer by the end of December that year.

Interview Questions
    • Some brainteaser and math questions. Besides that general questions meant to test how you respond on the spot.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oxford University.

Offered job internally. One interview with group leader.

Interview Questions

Salary on offer wasn't great. Chose industry instead.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oxford University in April 2010.

A very fast process (~1month) as I had gone directly through the research group leader. There were no problems with processing any paper work and the grant from my funding body came into effect the day I started.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I wanted to do after my postdoc   View Answer

Part-time Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University in March 2013.

Had worked for the University before, so I was not overly worried. I applied for the post through the University's website. I was shortlisted and invited to interview at the Medical Teaching Centre on South Parks Road. It was an interview panel with 3 people, two of whom were academics. I felt they were most unfriendly in their attitude; did not put me at ease at all. At one point I was asked a question but one of the interviewers kept interrupting me as I tried to answer. I felt literally bullied. The department did not even have the courtesy to tell me that I had been unsuccessful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you persuade me to provide you with the examination questions that you need to print?   Answer Question

MSC In Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oxford University in January 2009.

it was a 75 minute interview based on three mathematical questions.

Interview Questions
    • how many words can you make from the letters of COMMITTEE?   Answer Question

History Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Oxford University in January 2008.

I had two one on one interviews with faculty at the college, neither of which were intimidating. The professors asked a few standard questions - why Oriel, why history. They asked me to analyse a postcard of a suffregette walking through a hostile crowd, something for which I was not prepared. Perhaps brushing up on basic source analysis beforehand would be helpful/