Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 2, 2015

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

The whole process took around an hour. I was given a tour of the library, then asked to do a practical task involving the shelving and cataloguing of books. Prior library experience was not necessarily required for this as there was a sheet of instructions for you to follow. Finally, I had a half-hour interview with a panel of three, who read out questions from a script about each of the points in the job description. I was asked to give examples from past roles of times when I had fulfilled each criterion. Everyone I met was very friendly and I got the impression it was a pleasant and relaxed place to work in. The library were very generous in paying all my travel expenses, and even paid for me to stay in Oxford the night before and have a meal, as I had come from too far away to do a day trip.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received good customer service. Now describe a time when you yourself gave good customer service.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Interview

One interview with the head of department, potential supervisor and other senior researchers in the department. interview lasted around 1 hour. gave a 10 minute presentation on my masters dissertation, followed by 15 minutes of Q&A. Then personality/fit questions, aspirations, visions, time and project management

Interview Questions

• Long term vision, research area of interest, describe your current research,   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for a short skype interview, was invited to an in person interview. During in person interview had to talk with all the senior lab members and give a presentation.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Saw an advertisement on the Oxford website. Emailed the Prof. He expressed strong interest in my profile since the job description was very relevant to my Ph.D. thesis. The professor advised me to submit a formal application which consists of 2 letter of recommendations, supporting statement, CV and cover letter. 7 weeks later, I got an email, inviting me for a skype interview (I am an overseas candidate). As a part of the interview, I had to present my work for 10 mins for which I had to send my presentation 3 days ahead of the interview. I was also asked to submit my transcripts and photocopy of passport. Interview consisted of 2 professors (head PI and the PI under whom I was suppose to work). 10 mins presentation and 30 mins questions, mostly on my presentation, how do I write a paper and my experiences in grad school. I was very confident in getting the job, but unfortunately after 3 reminders, I got a generic reject email. I believe that they found someone in Oxford itself for the position and they did not want to go through the trouble of bringing people from overseas.

Interview Questions

• Mostly on thesis and my presentation. What is your approach on writing a journal paper?   Answer Question

PhD Student (Fully Funded) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Slightly tough. Long term plans are important to prepare for before sitting for the interview. Likewise the rigor of your scientific research plan. During the interview I was asked numerous tough questions including ones pertaining to my academic experience, long and short term plans, future collaborations, research impact, choosing Oxford etc...

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

ask about courses taken, if you know basic knowledge, if you are interested in, if you have some similar experience. Nice people and it's not difficult if you prepared in advance. Just need to meet the skills requirement and show your interest.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Interview with my immediate line manager (Professor) involved a 30 minutes interview on my previous work related to the job interview and general Q&A on the presentation and my CV. I didn't have direct work experience in the advertised job, but highlighted some of the key required skills/experience (analytical modelling, cross-disciplinary collaboration in large projects) that are transferable from previous works.

Interview Questions

• Questions were to gauge broader knowledge on the area I was interviewing for, which I had through self study and a recent relevant Masters degree but not through previous research work and my PhD.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Used website and contacted via e-mail, panel interview with test, waited over a week and then I had to contact them to find out results. Was not given much feedback.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

Very thorough and fair. Great questions and a nice conversation overall. Extremely conversational and relaxed. Interview process was quick and efficient. I really enjoyed the whole process and was grateful for the feedback during the process, especially from HR.

Interview Questions

• Generic about how you'd add to the department and such.   Answer Question

Business Development Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and then a few days later was invited to an interview requesting that I prepare a presentation. This also included an in-tray test where I had to arrange an interview schedule. This was a panel interview of two business development managers and an HR manager. I was not very impressed that even though I had requested wheelchair access that the room was upstairs using a condemned stairlift. Now I work there this has been removed and replaced with a proper platform lift.

Interview Questions

• How would you persuade a high level participant to pay? Have you ever done credit control?   Answer Question