Oxford University Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Feb 1, 2015
Updated Feb 1, 2015

PhD Student Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oxford University in January 2011.

Applied online and was interviewed by a panel of 7 investigators. The interview was over skype since I was overseas. British nationals who arrive on site are usually invited to tour the labs. The process was fairly straightforward. I started by making a 10 minute presentation about my undergraduate thesis, which was followed by whole bunch of technical questions, and some questions about my future plans.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were technical and related to my undergraduate work.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Economics & Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University.

Submission via UCAS website. It is necessary also to do complete some tests for the application. I was contacted for interviews with tutors at the college over Skype in December. I received my offer by the end of December that year.

Interview Questions
    • Some brainteaser and math questions. Besides that general questions meant to test how you respond on the spot.   Answer Question

Maths Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Oxford University in February 2013.

interview for maths asking lots of maths questions. 1 on 1 for 30 minutes there were 3 and they were of increasing difficulty. stayed in oxford for 3 days. had a good time. was fun, people should apply and stuff as it is good.

Chemistry Undergraduate Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Oxford University.

I had two interviews, each consisting of a professor and one other. Both of them lasted about 30 mins. Was asked mostly technical chemistry questions, such as drawing the mechanisms for some organic chemistry reactions. Was asked some basic A-level standard maths questions and asked what my favourite element was and why.

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oxford University in October 2012.

Applied using the UK online application system, and wrote a personal statement for this. In retrospect I have been told that this should only be focussed on the chosen area of study. Had two interviews for taking biochemistry.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to bacterial cells vs red blood cells when placed in water? Write and solve an equilibrium equation for the reaction between (two given chemicals). Do you think the high humidity in rainforests is good or bad for plants?   Answer Question
    there was none...

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Oxford University in February 2011.

Applied to University on a charge of £50. That charge is a very useful filter to make only those apply that really think they've got the skills. Interview was in Biochemistry department in Oxford, 5 people in panel, listening to my 10 minutes presentation. 10 minutes question after that, some questions about my research, some personal questions.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Oxford University in February 2014.

One Skype interview from the United States. I was interviewed by a panel of six people that wanted to validate who I was and my ability to perform unique and creative research. I received a phone call a few days later informing me I had got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Improving the current standard for research in Classics.   Answer Question

DPhil Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Oxford University in March 2013.

I had one skype interview after I submitted two or three references, transcript, CV, one letter about me and completed one form. The first interesting thing is that they do not require master, it suffices bachelor. The interview was quite informal, they do not ask math questions, but rather which subjects I attended and what I did in bachelor thesis. They was impressed by amount of subjects I did.

Interview Questions
    • How do I plan gain money, because in March they do not have any money for me. All grants are in January.   Answer Question

Personal Assistant Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Oxford University.

Received invitation to interview within 2 weeks of submitting my application through the online university system. There was more than enough time to study up on the department and the expected interview questions. The staff were very professional, polite, and friendly when I arrived for the interview. I met with the primary administrative person I would be reporting to as well as 2 of the 4 Professors I would be supporting in the PA position. all the questions were standard - why do you want the job, what do you think will be the most challenging aspect of this position, what would friends say are your strengths and weaknesses, who does your CV demonstrate your fit to this position, do you have experience updating webpages, do you have experience with Microsoft Office (particularly word and excel), etc.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about a time when you had to involve a supervisor in order to complete an important task.   View Answer

MSC Student Interview