Oyster Travel Corp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Computer Programmer Interview

Computer Programmer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Oyster Travel Corp in December 2009.

Interview Details – Had a Skype interview with one of their developers. He seemed disappointed I didn't have a webcam, even though the interview had been described as a "phone" interview. We spoke a bit about my background and goals, and about what I thought my strengths were. The interviewer gave me a programming problem which did seem to draw upon my strengths: write a function in C to compress a string using Run-Length Encoding. He watched (using a sort of remote assistance product from JoelOnSoftware.com) as I entered the code in Visual Studio. We never tried to compile or run it. I thought I got the function basically done (90% or so) and then talked about it a bit. I thought I did well, but I was quickly informed via e-mail that I would not be receiving an offer. In retrospect, I answered incorrectly on a question about the worst-case size of the output- it can actually be significantly bigger than the input. (This fact hit my during my morning commute the next day). Also, I correctly identified some edge cases but left them marked with "to do" comments. I guess the interviewer didn't like that, but frankly I find these sorts of Rube Goldberg Remote Desktop / extemporaneous interviews to be agonizing, and I guess I'm going to have to either get lucky or find an employer that values other things. The staff at Oyster.com seemed like decent people, though, and they didn't waste any more of my time than was absolutely necessary, which I liked. I do think that luck and what I'll call IT / home theater ability played a bit too much of a role here.

Interview Question – Write a C function to encode a string using RLE encoding   View Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Oyster Travel Corp in July 2011.

Interview Details – First round interviews consisted of introducing myself 1:1. Second rounds were with people in higher management. They asked about my prior experience with sales and tested my ability to promote the web site.

Interview Question – How would you promote our services to a hotel?   Answer Question

Worked for Oyster Travel Corp? Contribute to the Community!