P.C. Richard & Son

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at P.C. Richard & Son

Office Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son.

Easy in person, one on one interview with Human Resource manager. Interviewer asked about knowledge of company (family owned and operated) and previous sales experience. Interviewer also asked about past work experiences and sales experience. I was also given certain scenarios and asked how I would respond. I started training the next week and training took about two weeks.

Sales Associate Interview

Pretty simple interview, kind of got a feel for me as a person and told a long story of the founding of the company.

Draw v commission

Sales Counselor Interview

I filled out an application in the store and received a call from the main headquarters for an interview. I met with their senior sales trainer who greeted me, told me about the hours, weekends, training, etc. Then he asked me a bunch of questions about myself and what my goals were, and why I wanted to work for the company. After I answered his questions, he told me all about the company and the job. He was passionate about the company, enthusiastic, and very thorough. After I met with him, I did a quiz, then met with another trainer who asked similar questions and was equally enthusiastic. A few days later I got the call to be hired and they made me feel great!

Interview Questions
    Draw vs. commission was standard. No negotiation because they explained to me that I write my own paycheck.

Sales Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmingdale, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmingdale, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son in June 2012.

I was contacted by phone after applying to the company online. The Training Manager himself scheduled my interview at the corporate HQ in Farmingdale, NY. He gave me travel instructions on how to get there from Brooklyn. The commute wasn't bad, just a bit expensive by public transportation (local train, LIRR and a cab ride).

The Corporate HQ is adjacent to the warehouse, which is enormous. The facilities were very clean, the staff was polite and friendly and during the brief wait before my first of two interviews, I had a chance to appreciate the illustrious history of the company, represented by the dozens of framed black and white photos on the walls and the display cases containing historic memorabilia.

My first interview was with the Training Manager, a very friendly, upbeat and confidence-inspiring individual. We spent about 30 minutes discussing me, the company, the job of a Sales Counselor and the earning potential that the job and the company offered. I liked what I heard about the company and as a P. C. Richard and Son customer, I knew the company was very successful.

The Training Manager explained the compensation package, a $1000 bi-weekly draw (against future earned commissions) plus unlimited monthly commissions (payable after the $2000 monthly draw was repaid) plus incentive bonuses and assorted sales contests sponsored by their vendors (Bose, LG, Samsung, etc). Also health benefits and a 401 (k). The draw has since increased to $2400 a month.

The schedule was a 5-day, 50-hour-minimum work week which increased to 6 days and 60 hours during the summer and around the holidays. Working 6 or 7 days a week was always an option for the self-motivated salesman and was recommended for those salesman who found themselves unable to cover their draw in a 5 day workweek. Earning potential was limited only by the salesman's commitment and effort. The pitch was powerful. $50000 a year. $60000 a year. $80000 or even $100000 a year was entirely possible for the exceptional few who maximized this opportunity. I was convinced. The second interview, with trainer, was much shorter but painted an equally optimistic portrait of this opportunity. I didn't need any further convincing at that point. I enthusiastically accepted the job.

Interview Questions
    • The toughest question was probably about my last job, which was with an extremely successful retailer which few people ever left voluntarily.   View Answer
    There was no salary negotiation.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son in March 2010.

Typically you will be called by the "training manager" of Connecticut if they are interested in your application, although most hirings are done through referrals. The interview is easy and pretty much as long as you "smile" and show "enthusiasm" they will shake your hand and offer you a job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes you an asset to PC Richard and Son?   Answer Question
    none. commission vs draw pay system

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son in March 2009.

Very easy to get a job there. Hard to hold it because its horrible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son in December 2008.

Apply in store and was told HQ would contact me. Got an answer in about 2 weeks to schedule interview where upon meeting with the hiring manager was asked general assessment questions and to a personality test. The HM was very friendly and great to meet. Made wanting to work for them more appealing. Was offered job 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for PC Richard and Son?   View Answer

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville Centre, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville Centre, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son in May 2008.

Received a phone call and was brought in to a one on one interview with the DM at the time. She called several weeks later to offer me a position at the Rockville Centre store.

There was no negotiation phase. They gave me a salary quote and an allotment of hours.

Sales Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son in March 2008.

was interviewed witn district manager, after was interviewed with HR hiring manger

Interview Questions
    nothing, it was salary job

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at P.C. Richard & Son.

Most people getting an interview knows someone that already work their, sit down with on of the trainers ask you general question, why do you want to work here, can you handle commission job etc, will ask you which do you feel more comfortable selling white goods or brown good (electronics, Tv's used to be brown). will either offer you a job or call you later

called upon later