P & H Mining

Relevance Date Difficulty

Transportation Supervisor Interview

Transportation Supervisor
Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at P & H Mining in October 2011.

Interview Details – I began the process by networking with an internal manager that I had a connection with on LI. I then found an open position on the company website that I was qualified for. After completing the online app and reaching out to my contact I heard nothing for a few weeks. I followed up with no luck so I thought I was not going to get an interview.

After a couple more weeks, I get a call for a phone interview that seemed like all the HR person was interested in was getting salary expectations. I didn't hear anything for about a month, then received a call for an interview. They set up a panel consisting of an HR person, the position's manager and what would be a co-worker.

The panel was no big deal except for the fact that any Q&A about advancement was a bit of a concern as I wasn't sure how the coworker would perceive the competition and ultimately how he would vote. The rest of the interview was heavily focused on the fact that P&H is a union shop. It seemed that management experience in a union environment was more important then function or technical skills.

Very Difficult Interview

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at P & H Mining in September 2010.

Interview Details – P&H was an odd interview. As an experienced candidate (10+ years) , I was surprised that they wanted me to take a test (2 hours) in a software I had used for many years. The immediate supervisor was straight forward, but the group manager was not. I would relate the experience to the graduating college student where the interviewer really tries to put the screws to you. At this level in my career, this was a little comical as I regularly have to present to senior executive management at a much higher pressure level than this. At one point, I was challenged with a question in which I have experience and responded with an answer. The manager exclaimed it was not correct and my answer would not help at all. I believed him to be mistaken and with due diligence, I researched the answer (engineeringtips.com actually had the same question) and also contacted a licensed PE colleague with over 20 years of experience in this specific topic. It turns out that this manager was mistaken and the PE contact responded that it was scary how far off base the manager was. The only thing which concerned me was how passionate he was about his answer being correct. This and his general attitude turned me off to the organization- although I will say everyone else quite accommodating and friendly. I'm simply not the personality type that is interested in this 'hard sell' style of interviewing. I think a tactic was employed that is typically used on those with little to no experience which does not translate well to those with more experience. I have not heard back at this point positively or negatively, and honestly, do not desire to hear from them.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at P & H Mining in March 2010.

Interview Details – Really frustrating experience--received request to go onsite after initial phone interview--was told I would be contacted with the new date/time...never got anything and then on a Monday morning at 9:20 got a call from the company HR Director wondering where I was--they had scheduled the interview with at least 5 people and forgot to notify ME--the candidate!!. Was asked if I would rescheduled and then went onsite a week later--had very little info on where to go, etc. met the receptionist who literally would not talk to me --at all--even when I had a legitimate request of where the restroom was. Unbelievable. Then I had a panel interview with 2 generalists that were almost antagonistic toward me and seemed that they blamed me for not coming the original date--they were rushed for time, etc and by the end of that one, I was wondering why I was even there. The next meeting was then with the HR Director which went ok....didn't love the environment while I was there but they indicated that we would be discussing within a week and the job itself was still of interest. I was told they would call me within the week. Unfortunately, I never heard from them -EVER--no decline, no contact and it's been months. I had written a thank you note to each person and never was even acknowledged, even when I had attached some research/worksheets they wanted to see--they didn't even say thank you (and I would bet they're using it). This is a really poor indicator of how an employee might be treated there too if that was the "recruitment phase" then I feel bad for the employees that are there..

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at P & H Mining in October 2009.

Interview Details – Typical

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None

Worked for P & H Mining? Contribute to the Community!