PA Consulting

Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.6

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting.

I submitted my online application with CV and cover letter on the 20/10/2014. I was quickly contacted to complete the standard SHL assessments on the 31/10.
    Two weeks later, I was invited for a first phone interview with a HR officer. I was asked quite a few competency-based questions as well as the expected ones such as "why consulting, why PA".
    The next day, I was invited to an assessment centre (everything went so fast!). The assessment centre consisted of an introductory talk by two HR officers and the head of the practice I applied to, an interview (CV-based questions + competency based), followed by a role play, a lunch/networking break and finally, a group case study. For the role play, they put me in a meeting room, where I had 20 min to go through a couple of documents: a client had a dilemna and wanted PA to make some recommendations on this new project they were investigating on. 3 solutions to their problem were proposed in the brief - the purpose was for me to pick the best solution and explain my reasoning to the client (essentially my interviewer). It was a really fun experience with the opportunity to genuinely be original, smart while showing your personality! My advice: Get into the Game! The Lunch was then very insightful. People from analysts to partners came along to join and chat with all of us. It was a great opportunity to learn more about the company, the work they do, the culture they promote and most importantly the people at PA. Ultimately, for the group case study, they separated us into 2 groups. We were 4 people in mine. I don't remember how many minutes we had to read the material handed out to us, but it was rather quick! The activity run smoothly, the same way as a normal group case study would (discussion for 25min if I recall correctly, then a 5 minutes presentation followed by a Q&A sessions with 5 PA employees from various levels of seniority)!
    4 days later, I got invited for a final round interview. This consisted of 2 interviews with 2 partners from the practice I applied to. It was more of a discussion than an interview. It was an opportunity for me to ask all my questions and for them to make sure I would fit in in the practice.
    In conclusion, I'd say that the whole interview process was fast, fun and insightful. By the end of it, I was convinced that PA would be a great cultural and professional fit for me!

Interview Questions
    • How is PA's business transformation/change management approach like? Give an example of a case study where PA demonstrated such an approach and implemented it.   Answer Question

Strategy & Decision Sciences Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PA Consulting in February 2015.

After submitting my online application I was invited to complete online SHL assessment that included Verbal and Numerical tests. I passed the tests and was invited to the telephone interview with a HR person. Didn't pass the interview. Would I have passed it, the next step would have been assessment day in their office.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example when you have motivated your colleagues... and other similar competency questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in January 2015.

I found the interview process quite haphazard, with extremely poor communication throughout and quite a hostile experience with the HR team. As I was referred internally via an acquaintance, I went through the interview process without any feedback (despite asking) as to what consultant level they saw me entering the company at. I was therefore operating in the dark for the entirety of the interview process right through to final stage, at which point I declined to continue.

Interview Questions
    • Competency based questions, all very manageable but in-depth so make sure you have a good level of detail behind each example.

Also be prepared for a general mental arithmetic question or two, where they are looking to see what your thought process is, rather than looking for the precise answer.

Answer Question

Managing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in January 2015.

The interview process is quite extensive. It has 2 main components: aptitude tests and interviews. The aptitude tests are examine the verbal and non-verbal reasoning. The interviews have a case study component, a presentation and a panel of interviewers. The whole process is quite strict and sophisticated.

Business Intelligence/IT Advisory Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in January 2015.

Application (CV/Cover Letter)
    - Ensure you know their values, what they're looking for.

Telephone interview
    - Drive, communication and enthusiasm are key here. The HR staff are very friendly and will put you through if they genuinely believe there is potential.

Assessment Centre

- Group task, Case Study, Interview.

--Case study the hardest part by far, work to connect the dots to provide recommendations. Show how you have done this, have a clear, logical thinking process but do not be afraid to be a bit maverick about it, remember PA are not expecting the finished product, they want potential that they can work with.

-- Group task is quite easy, but remember there's a good chance you'll be in a room with driven people. You will need to be assertive but be careful not to dominate the situation. Use the data given, don't be afraid to challenge those questioning you if you can justify what you say and WORK AS A TEAM.

-- Interview very friendly, be personable, be yourself etc. Questions extensive but generally competency based, however expect questions about your personality etc.

For the vast majority of candidates, this will be the standard process. However, unlike many companies PA's HR staff won't kick you out of the process if they like you but don't feel you suit the role; they'll do their best to move you around and you may end up with an extra interview. This interview will probably be different for everyone and the best thing you can do is be honest, use your head etc.

Didn't get an offer in the end, but from my experience I'd recommend applying here to anybody wanting to start their career.

Interview Questions
    • Why PA? Why Advisory? What are your career goals? Tell me about a time you've...Teamwork, Drive etc?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in December 2014.

A very thorough and professional process, met some impressive interviewers, but let down by a weak compensation package at the end.

Started with online numeracy, verbal, and personality tests. Standard telephone interview, followed by two back to back interviews in their offices - one asking about motivations, and previous experiences, the next one was more of a roleplay going through a case study. Final stage was interview with a partner. All very mature and professional, and honest.

A very thorough process that ended with a job offer but a surprisingly low compensation package that didn't make it worth considering.

Interview Questions

Poor compensation package. Some willingess on their side to negotiate, but not close enough to what I was looking for.

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting in January 2014.

Telephone interview with HR, followed by literacy, numeracy and personality tests, four face to face interviews, a written task and a presentation.

Face to face interviews were with a peer, a partner, senior partner and human resources. These may all be back to back taking a full day or split in one to two hour interviews across many days.

Interview Questions
    • General why are you leaving, what are you looking for type questions from HR.

Face to face interviews were typical but detailed competency based questions testing knowledge in your specialist area and how well you can interpret challenges that the role would face, both technical and on a client/supplier relationship basis.

The written task was to read an article on a subject matter relevant to the practice you're joining and then write a response to it, approximately 500 words.

The presentation was to role play a client pre-sales presentation that you've made up on the day (a scenario will be given to you to play to)

There was an underlying and unspoken assessment of personality and communication skills. You need to be outgoing and confident to survive at PA.

Be warned, post-offer there were background checks including all facts given during the HR interview such as verification of your degree, previous salary, employment history over the past five years etc. You will be expected to justify any deviation from facts and PA aren't shy about dismissing people if they aren't satisfied with that explanation. That being said, there's no need to hide any dark marks on your record - they will make their own independent assessment of you, they just want you to be honest.

Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting in October 2013.

Process very neat and communicated well. Initial interview was with HR. Standard questions like why do you want to leave current job, why PA, area of expertise, current salary and salary expectations etc. Then there was an online test - maths, logical reasoning and psychology questions. These are tough if you are not used to solving these questions. After passing the online tests, there was an interview with Managing Consultant followed by a 30 min exercise where I was given an technical article and was asked to summarize it and give my opinion on the article. Next stage was interview with a Partner. It was a case study based role play followed by normal interview. Last stage was interview with a senior partner. Overall took 2+ months.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult questions were asked during role play based case study. Presence of mind is important as well.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation as they matched my expectations. Salary expectations were made clear at the start. Good thing is that salary is just the start and the opp for upside on the bonuses is unlimited. Very happy with overall compensation.

Consultant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting.

There were 4 interview rounds and during the process they specified that MBA candidates would come in at Consultant Analyst or Consultant. In the end they made me a laughable offer for Analyst at 29k a year even with my MBA! They also make you pay over 2k to their lawyers to process your visa. You essentially have to pay them to work there and then you get a crap salary. I rejected the offer and will never look back!

Interview Questions
    • on round 2 I was asked about bond pricing which had no relevance to the role but rather to the person interviewing me's previous job - it was strange.   Answer Question

salary was terribly low and disrespectful!

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in April 2013.

The process started with a phone interview, This wasn't about the content of the job, it was more career history and knowledge of and interest in the company and specific teams.
    It was followed by an assessment centre, this had a large number of candidates of a range of experiences, which was interesting. Case studies and a group exercise and presentation formed most of the night.